My friend is claiming ESA and working!

That_GuyThat_Guy Posts: 1,421
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have a friend who recently let slip that she is being paid for a job she claims is volunteer work. She is on ESA for depression and pays for very little to support herself. Everything seems to be covered by benefits. The thought of her claiming this ESA and working cash in hand drives me crazy. I honestly feel the urge to report her. Anyone had an experience like this? What would you do?

Comments

• SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This shouldn't affect you in any way at all. Why do you really care though? Just leave it be.
  • Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member
    I'd mind my own business.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't refer to myself as her friend, for a start, if that's what you want to do.
  • DrFlowDemandDrFlowDemand Posts: 2,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is she really getting paid or just getting expenses etc? I would just forget it and try to make best path for self in life. Having depression badly enough to get ESA for it isn't something I feel jealous or envious of.
  • That_GuyThat_Guy Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well her supposed depression is questionable. She just knows the right things to say. She is getting paid for the work she does. Why should law abiding taxpayers stand back and watch this fraud take place?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't refer to myself as her friend, for a start, if that's what you want to do.
    Thanks, very insightful!
  • Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A true friend would tell her that you are disappointed in the choice she has made to defraud the welfare system and that it's made you doubt her character. Tell her you think she should not be doing this.

That or have no integrity and just rant to strangers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think she'd care though. I will try.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 375
    Forum Member
    I think if your in ESA, you are allowed to do some hours paid work. The jobcentre advisor told me this a few months ago, I'm on the working support group.
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Thanks, very insightful!

True though. You're no friend of hers if you're considering dobbing her in.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd leave well alone
  • RichievillaRichievilla Posts: 6,179
    Forum Member
    From the gov.uk website:
    Working and claiming ESA

Usually your ESA isn’t affected if you:

work and earn up to £20 a week
    work and earn up to £99.50 a week doing work supervised by someone from a local council or voluntary organisation
    work less than 16 hours a week, earn up to £99.50 a week for up to 52 weeks

This is called ‘permitted work’.

You can also do ‘supported permitted work’ for less than 16 hours a week and earn up to £99.50 a week if your illness or disability very severely limits your ability to work.

Supported permitted work is supervised by someone from a local council or a voluntary organisation whose job it is to arrange work for disabled people.

You must tell the Department of Work and Pension (DWP) if you start doing permitted work. They will send you form PW1 to fill in and send back to them.

Any volunteer work you do needs to be reported and can affect your ESA.
  • Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    Well her supposed depression is questionable. She just knows the right things to say. She is getting paid for the work she does. Why should law abiding taxpayers stand back and watch this fraud take place?

I don't know, maybe law abiding tax payers should be more angry with companies like Amazon, yet they still spend their money there in their droves!

Really you are not a friend if you report her. Why not just question her? Why even vent on a forum ?! Bizarre.
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a friend who recently let slip that she is being paid for a job she claims is volunteer work. She is on ESA for depression and pays for very little to support herself. Everything seems to be covered by benefits. The thought of her claiming this ESA and working cash in hand drives me crazy. I honestly feel the urge to report her. Anyone had an experience like this? What would you do?

I hope she appreciates a friend like you.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,414
    Forum Member
    From the gov.uk website:
    Working and claiming ESA

Usually your ESA isn’t affected if you:

work and earn up to £20 a week
    work and earn up to £99.50 a week doing work supervised by someone from a local council or voluntary organisation
    work less than 16 hours a week, earn up to £99.50 a week for up to 52 weeks

This is called ‘permitted work’.

You can also do ‘supported permitted work’ for less than 16 hours a week and earn up to £99.50 a week if your illness or disability very severely limits your ability to work.

Supported permitted work is supervised by someone from a local council or a voluntary organisation whose job it is to arrange work for disabled people.

You must tell the Department of Work and Pension (DWP) if you start doing permitted work. They will send you form PW1 to fill in and send back to them.

Any volunteer work you do needs to be reported and can affect your ESA.

I'd actually suggest printing that out and showing that to her and say it's best to stick within those guidelines otherwise there's the risk of an investigation, benefit sanctions and prosecution and say if she wants advice then she'd better go to her nearest Citizens Advice Bureau office. I'd leave it at that and I wouldn't personally report her.
  • Dare DevilDare Devil Posts: 118,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

What a friend you are.

As already said on this thread, you can claim and work.

You can also claim JSA and work. *sits and waits for you to get all angry and 'outraged'*

Oh and sorry to burst your little "law abiding taxpayers" bubble. We're all taxpayers, income tax is not the only form of tax and taxation is not the only form of income for the government.

The government and media hype over the "welfare state" is nothing more than divide and rule and smoke and mirrors. One day you will open your eyes to it.

I thought everyone had woken up to the "honest hardworking taxpayers" vs "feckless, workshy dole scroungers" smoke screen. Clearly I was wrong.
  • scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well if she is working and the DWP do not know and she is not part of the supported work program then she maybe in for a bit of trouble.
    If that is the case and they find out her benefits will be suspended and it will be investigated if she is found of fraud then she can be taken to court and prosecuted. - this does happen and generally if it does then she is more then likely be black listed for X years and unable to apply for further benefits etc - this does happen.
    She then will have to pay back X amount.
    However if she is part of the supported work program then good luck to her, however at the end of the 52 weeks she must have a contingency plan of "what do i do now".
    If you are to report her you must have clear evidence that she is committing fraud, if she is not (work program) and she has mental health etc this can exacerbate the situation.
    As a mental health employment consultant in my opinion I would double check you facts before doing anything rash, you may not know the full story. What people tell you to what is the truth can be a lot different.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    I hope she appreciates a friend like you.
    Maybe using friend for our relationship is a bit far.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From the gov.uk website:
    None of her work is reported to her care worker or the job ESA officers.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Thanks, very insightful!

You asked.

A friend isn't someone who would inform on them behind their back, possibly getting them into hardship and trouble.

I might expect it from a nosey vindictive neighbour or enemy, but not from a friend.

The least you could do is discuss it with her, telling her of your disapproval.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP, are you sure she's not just being paid expenses?

I used to claim ESA and volunteer for a charity, and I was paid various expenses. It could have looked dodgy to an outsider as I was often receiving cheques with values as high as about £50, but it was all for genuine expenses incurred.
  • Compton_scatterCompton_scatter Posts: 2,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know where you're coming from OP, I was in a similar situation several years ago, in the end I did nothing (as I would advise you) but the friendship did fizzle out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    OP, are you sure she's not just being paid expenses?

I used to claim ESA and volunteer for a charity, and I was paid various expenses. It could have looked dodgy to an outsider as I was often receiving cheques with values as high as about £50, but it was all for genuine expenses incurred.
    She brings disabled kids to school with another guy who drives the van. There are no expenses.
  • butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rather than give her some moral lecture, next time it comes up, just say that you'd be terrified to do something like that in case you got caught. That way, she'll tell you what side of the legal line she is sitting on, and also her rationale.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood, and all that....
  • allyred83allyred83 Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    Concentrate on your own life. It really hasn't got anything to do with you. Why does it make you angry? If your life is that bad you should be using your energy on improving your situation not looking at other peoples lives.