Options

DWTS: Season 18 General Discussion

Comments

• Options
    kp2nikp2ni Posts: 1,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peta & James- didn't deserve 10s a bit disjointed and sharp but they did a good job with a hard song even though I love frozen let it go is about Elsa therefore hard to choreograph without James looking a bit like a background dancer would have preferred him getting Aladdin or something like that and a girl celeb getting frozen instead. As for the baby comment James is new to the programme whereas Peta is used to the programme and showmance so not surprised James is still annoyed when he is always asked about it.

Cody & Witney - definitely their best dance by far but a little too late Cody used the show instead of learnt from it. Not surprised in the slightly he went out as usually someone with potential or is good go out now see Sabrina or Christina (both were Marks partners maybe that why he looked so relieved)

Val & Danica - love this dance almost as much as Danica did though I don't think that is possible, nice to see her enjoying herself after last week love the choreography wanted more in hold and a bit messy in place but overall fantastic

Meryl & Maks - good dance but understood what Maks meant I always like Maks sambas but this was a bit safe which it had to be due to the theme would have preferred them doing something else. Still prefer her dancing with val.

Cheryl & Drew - ok but forgettable liked the animation but they were out of time and too little in hold done better with Witney need to work on frame/ posture.

Nene & Tony - saw the VT coming Tony has been quite open that he didnt like the switch up as nene had been quite open that she did. Tony always seems to have one agrument a season (normally about Tony or his celeb feeling insecure about something) recently so not surprised. Found it funny that Tony said about rules in the vt and did a routine that didnt follow them it was all style little substance to me 9 were far too high.

Charlie & Sharna - loved this fun routine a bit messy in place (not talking about the cane drop here) but overall probably 1 of the best but then again jazz is basically a freestyle to do whatever you like on dwts

Mark & Candice - liked the dance hated her costume laughed at Mark's claws, like that Mark puts in things to show personality within loosing the dance which is very clever.

Amy & Derek - it is really hard to judge. I didn't agree with Carrie Ann in the slightly if you are going to penalise for lifts then it should be all couples I didn't find either lift neccessary if they had of kept her feet on the ground the second 1 wouldn't have been a lift in the first place.

I thought that it was a lovely dance but not a waltz I understand there are things that Amy cannot do but you can't say this is not a rumba or that had very little 'insert any ballroom dance here' in it then basically tell Amy & Derek they can do whatever like. Take Billy Dee for an example he had two hip operations so will never have the hip action needed for many of the latin dances but would you want the judges to ignore it?

They need to find a balance where you understand Amy's limitations but the dance still looks & feels like the dance they are supposed to be doing. Derek and Amy need to work out what she can do regarding ballroom & showcase them.

I didn't mind the VT I found it truthful i love that Amy is on the show seeing a completely different journey (apologises for using the 'j' word) & think she is a lovely person who works well with Derek but I think the judges need to be fair to everyone which is hard to do.
  • Options
    fridgesoupfridgesoup Posts: 17,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Week 6 dances (Party Anthems):
    Candace - Cha-cha-cha
    Drew - Tango
    Meryl - Tango
    NeNe - Salsa
    James - Quickstep
    Danica - Cha-cha-cha
    Amy - Jive
    Charlie - Cha-cha-cha

I'm surprised Amy is doing jive. I thought they'd do either swing or jive. Meryl has tango (having already done AT). Some couples have had jazz and contemporary but we've yet to see any pasos or viennese waltzes....
  • Options
    camy934camy934 Posts: 1,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I the only one who has a serious issue with these new dance styles that now seem to dominate, Contemporary, Jazz, Swing etc are not ballroom/latin dances and in my opinion dilute the show from a dancing competition and far from it's initial premise. In regards to James and Peta's contemporary routine, yes it was a good routine but lets see how they now cope with true ballroom/latin and mainting that as a lot of their wow moments would be strictly forbidden in traditional dance. What exactly is the point of a freestyle dance now in the final when the produces are allowing other non ballroom/latin styles into the show that allow lifts and tricks??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    camy934 wrote: »
    Am I the only one who has a serious issue with these new dance styles that now seem to dominate, Contemporary, Jazz, Swing etc are not ballroom/latin dances and in my opinion dilute the show from a dancing competition and far from it's initial premise. In regards to James and Peta's contemporary routine, yes it was a good routine but lets see how they now cope with true ballroom/latin and mainting that as a lot of their wow moments would be strictly forbidden in traditional dance. What exactly is the point of a freestyle dance now in the final when the produces are allowing other non ballroom/latin styles into the show that allow lifts and tricks??

BIB - Lol! no of course not.... the tumbleweed in this thread should tell you tell you that! :p I stick with it because it fills a gap when SCD's off the air. And I like Tom and the pros and you still get the occasional fun routine. (Oh, and a few glimpses of Artem ;-)). The poxy 'new' dance styles are just the start, but what can you do other than switch off? :(. Praps the new management will change things for the better next time.... Anyway, welcome to the thread :D
  • Options
    StigOfTheKrumpStigOfTheKrump Posts: 36,363
    Forum Member
    Damahepa wrote: »
    Are we actually going to get 1 Tango this year that isn't done to a modern dance track? Please?

Doesn't look like it, sadly - apparently Meryl's dancing hers to Calvin Harris.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NeNe's blog. She and Tony will be salsa-ing to Nelly's "It's Getting Hot in Here," and hoping to score a 10. Deary me :p.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,123
    Forum Member
    fridgesoup wrote: »
    NeNe's blog. She and Tony will be salsa-ing to Nelly's "It's Getting Hot in Here," and hoping to score a 10. Deary me :p.

Thanks for the links Soupy.:)

Shall we take a bet to see if there is any literal interpretation of Nelly's song. 'It's getting hot in here so take off all your clothes'.:D:D Will it be Tony or NeNe;-)

I like a good party anthem, perhaps it will be my week to enjoy the show.;-);-);-):D

Lol Soupy, I had to read your end sentence again, at first I thought you had written, 'Dreary me'.:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    camy934camy934 Posts: 1,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This show is good at filling the gap until SCD is back in the Autumn.

Here are my thoughts on tonight's show.

Nene & Tony - Salsa - Great Energy, however she was quite stompy and it seemed Tony was doing all the work to mask her faults however it was enjoyable to watch - 7

Candace & Mark - Cha Cha - Great Partnership, loved the routine but there is still things that could be improved with her, Mark choreographed extremely well within her skill set - 8

James & Peta - Quickstep - The chemistry between these two is great and what a great dance the syncronisity between these two was amazing - 9

Danica & Val -Cha Cha - WOW, what an amazing dance, everything about this was on point , musicality everything , just astonishing. - 9

Meryl & Maks - Tango - WOW WOW WOW!!!, The chemistry that oozes from these two is just sensational, it's like a completely different Maks this season. This dance had everything, content, precision, musicality, every beat was hit perfectly, absolutely glorious to watch. My pick for the champions - 10

Drew & Cheryl - Tango - He is such a loveable guy, really went for it in this routine. Really enjoyable to watch and a great show for the audience and his commitment is a joy to watch. However, it was the right time for him to go. - 7

Charlie & Sharna - Cha Cha - Fantastic routine, he really established himself as a true contender with this routine. Him and Sharna are such a pleasure to watch. His musicality is so on point, absolutely fantastic to watch. - 9

Amy & Derek - Jive - Amy really went for it in this routine, she physically can't do what an able bodied contestant can do. However, the flicks were not as sharp as they usually are seen in a conventional jive however it was a fun routine to watch. - 8
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This channel has the Week 6 dances in full

(they're still uploading - waiting on Drew and NeNe).

If you want to watch the show in full the running order was:

Opening number
    NeNe
    Candace
    Danica
    Macy's Stars of Dance
    Meryl
    Drew
    Charlie
    Amy (and the elimination)
  • Options
    fabulistfabulist Posts: 504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Few thoughts..
    Meryl: Like one or two of their other dances, this seemed too fast at times. I also don't like the constant talk about how having a good dancer is being so great for Maks. For a number of reasons:
    - He's had strong dancers before.
    - There's been no change - His choreography and attitude are still often poor.
    - Surely the story should be Meryl?

Candace: I find the ever present smile a little annoying but I continue to love Mark; he's hilarious. From the way he scowls at the camera if he thinks he is going home, to his accent in rehearsal as it slips back and forth, to the way that he dances like a woman, to yesterdays "awooga!"...Never change Mark.

Nene: I'm not sure what that was.

James: Why does he always look confused?

Guest judge: Unforgivable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nene - it was ok over-scored.

Candace - Mark has been fantastic this season his choreography has been great Candice is hit or miss throughout each routine she does great in the pieces she likes

Danica - great routine great footwork find her arms distracting like she isn't sure what to do with them is improving Val is super choreographer & teacher

Meryl - nice to see Maks back ; the Maks who was great with Mel B who has been conveniently forgot by some. great tango - still don't like the walking / wasting time thing

Drew - ok dance but stop improving as much as he seemed to gave up. He seemed to really like Witney think it would have been interesting if they had of been partners from the start.

Charlie - loved the concept fantastic dance better hip action but still room for improvement

James - ok was thinking too much throughout think the 40 last week put pressure on him

Amy - full of content she definitely better at faster dances.

Redfoo - awful

Liked the Macy's dance but not as wow as the 1st one.

As for the new dance styles I don't mind them so much as the fusion of styles. Rumba & contemporary are completely difference but on dwts its not. Swing has rules and a style not so keen on jazz as on dwts it just a freestyle. On SCD there are lifts in American Smooth, Charleston, Salsa, Argentine tango and salsa and it doesn't take away from the freestyle because they usually follow the rules/style of the dance they are doing & there is less fusion. Argentine tango and ballroom tango completely different & completely difference on SCD whereas DWTS not so much. With DWTS sometimes if it didn't say in the title of the video I wouldn't have a clue what they were doing tbh.

Also they should have to do all the ballroom & Latin in a season before adding new styles so if they reached the final they have done all the ballroom/latin dances.
    Add in new dance all you like but ballroom should be the priority.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Next week dances -

Meryl & Maks - Salsa
    Charlie & Sharna - Paso (finally a paso)

Also the team dance is back

Team Vida - James, Nene & Charlie
    Team Loca - Meryl, Danica, Amy & Candice

Meaning that Derek, Maks, Val & Mark are all on the same team :o:D:p could be interesting but not really a fair split.

Interesting stat that Derek has won every team dance he has took part in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Week 6 ramblings....

Never heard of Redfoo before this. Would have been quite happy to remain in ignorance a while longer. Not sure what they're achieving with these guest judges apart from taking up some time that could be used for pro-dances. Or we could have the confessionals back :(. Other than Julianne, they've been unqualified to comment on technique and CAI and Bruno already have the performance side of things completely covered :confused:

Felt a bit shruggy about the opening dance and really didn't care for the Macy's number. It might have been great if you were there, but I couldn't see a thing...

Really liked Erin this week (despite annoying voice) and think she's settled into the role a bit now. Some funny moments (like Mark and his bath and Tony coming over to hold Maks' hand :)).

NeNe and Tony. What did they dance? The usual NeNe club dancing and grooving around a bit and she scored nines. The joke has got very stale for me.

Karma - I laughed and thought of you when Tony took his shirt off :D

I thought Candace did a great job with the cha cha and I loved her dress. I can see what the judges mean about her going in and out of being really good and then letting her head get the better of her, but announcing she was in jeopardy before dancing was cruel. I wish they'd stop it. I'm liking laid back Mark this time round (still hate his dirty sleeve tattoos though. And hats). Fabulist, I've never thought of Mark dancing like a woman before. Am not going to be able to see him any other way!

From doing my fave dance last week, I was a little disappointed in Danica's cha cha. I thought she was stiff hipped a lot of the time. I'm a bit tired of hearing how she and Candace want to shake off their girlish sides and embrace being women. They're in their late 30s and have kids for crying out loud!!! Was it a bit weird how Val brought up Danica's bf all of a sudden?

I don't know what to make of the Meryl and Maks vt. Was it manufactured? I'm afraid years of Maks creating drama has left me rolling my eyes. If it was genuine then Julianne's 'phoning it in' comment seems to have really rattled him. I imagine he must be aware that many people don't think he cuts it as a choreographer, so no surprise if he's feeling the pressure, but I agree with whoever said this is supposed to be about Meryl. All of that said, I did love the tango. It was very fast (a bit too fast?) and seemed sharp and full of drama. I loved Meryl's dress and look and would have given them top marks if we hadn't had the removing the coat and walking on to the floor ;-)

I can't really remember Drew's dance, so it must have been a bit lacklustre :confused:. I like him and would rather have seen NeNe leave, but he seemed to have given up. I thought his body language with Cheryl was a touch off and there's no question his best week was with Witney, so I wonder if the switch-up did real damage to the partnership. I understand he'd had a hectic schedule, so maybe he was just tired....

Charlie's cha cha was fun and action packed, but he didn't keep up the technique for the whole routine so his scores seemed about right to me. I really liked the black light stuff but moving from the ballroom onto the stage seemed to lose them some momentum. Does anyone think Sharna maybe overloading him with content? He's got time pressures on him just now and I feel the technique and finesse is getting lost here and there...

I had to agree with Bruno that Peta made a good decision giving James a musical theatre flavour quickstep and it would have made a great fun performance in Grease the Musical but they're in a ballroom competition (allegedly) and his technique was woeful. He was wearing peculiar shoes and they really drew the eye to his feet which was unfortunate :p. His frame was horrible and he hunched over all the way through. I find James mildly irritating unfortunately. He seems to take himself a little too seriously.

I loved Amy's jive and was gob-smacked at what she was able to bring to it. It was good to see her dancing separately from Derek here and there and it was well choreographed to show off her strengths. Thought Carrie Ann saying she had 'the best kicks and flicks ever by anyone anywhere in the whole wide world in all of human history' was a bit eye-rolly. Settle Carrie Ann, settle :).

Nice to have week without any morris dancing. :cool: :kitty:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The usual NeNe club dancing and grooving around a bit and she scored nines.
    sorry to quote myself - realise now she got three 8s and only one 9. Still to high ;-)
  • Options
    Lili27Lili27 Posts: 2,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well this is an interesting blog for sure.

http://www.buddytv.com/articles/dancing-with-the-stars/why-the-dancing-with-the-stars-53353.aspx

I agree with this point that he made.
    The judges' half of the scoring system should be based on technique, while the viewer vote half is based on personality and entertainment value.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,123
    Forum Member
    Wow soupy I'm mostly agreeing with you again, you are better than me though writing it all down. I think I had my crystal ball about Tony stripping off, either that or they were predictable as per usual!!!

Can't say I thought Grease was particulary a party anthem:confused: but what do I know. Got to agree about James, they were gapping through QS. He was trying to keep up with Peta, but he wasn't in sync with all the footwork and I didn't get the gushing over the quality of his dancing. His shoes definitely drew the eye and not in a good way, I was transfixed by how clumpy they looked.:kitty:

Talk about a dramarama with Maks, he's definitely hogging the limelight in the training room and in the skybox last week. Thought it was a very good dance for Meryl, she certainly looked the part and Maks' choreo was really good (yes apart from the mac coming off). In fact I thought he and Val at least showed the most content and are trying to keep more ballroom flava to their dances, where as other pros have diluted so much it is scarcely there for some routines.

The party anthem night, hammered home, that DWTS original concept of being a ballroom dancing show, has withered on the vine. If Maks and Val are the only ones keeping it going, good on 'em.

NeNe, including her husband, in her routines, is grating on my last nerve, now. She seems to be doing her own thing every week and not really improving that much. Is it a case of the celebs not being willing to learn ballroom technique or the pros not teaching them the basics, it seems a lot of the dances have become style over content. Tony has latched onto what she can do and keeps including it in every routine, boring.

Redfoo or Redfool as someone nicknamed him, he gushes worse than CAI. The judging panel are laughable now, a caricature of themselves. Their scorning is inane, are they pushed into the high scoring by celebs expecting 10's for their efforts, some seem sulky if they get a 9!!!:D Gawd help them if Craig Revel Horwood became a guest judge, they would all need therapy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fabulist wrote: »
    James: Why does he always look confused?
    Lol, yes - always slightly bewildered :D
    kp2ni wrote: »
    nice to see Maks back ; the Maks who was great with Mel B who has been conveniently forgot by some.
    That's when I adored Maks and those two were great together. But it was thirteen seasons ago!!! :p
    Add in new dance all you like but ballroom should be the priority.
    Agree. They can do Gangnam Bangra** for all I care, just so long as it isn't at the expense of the proper repertoire.
    Next week dances -

Meryl & Maks - Salsa
    Charlie & Sharna - Paso (finally a paso)

Also the team dance is back

Team Vida - James, Nene & Charlie
    Team Loca - Meryl, Danica, Amy & Candice
    Wiki also says Candace has AT, Danica - Salsa and James - Samba. I read somewhere Amy has rumba and NeNe is doing AT (PureDwts?). Wonder if she can 'club dance' her way through an AT... :D
    Lili27 wrote: »

http://www.buddytv.com/articles/dancing-with-the-stars/why-the-dancing-with-the-stars-53353.aspx

Thanks Lili. The blogger seems a bit down on the show overall, doesn't he? :( I've reached the point when I think all the judges should perhaps just comment and not score. It serves so little purpose now. In the last four weeks only fourteen 7s have been given whilst they've awarded forty-one 8s, sixty-four 9s (!!!!!) and twenty-one 10s. Stupid.
    Thought it was a very good dance for Meryl, she certainly looked the part and Maks' choreo was really good (yes apart from the mac coming off). In fact I thought he and Val at least showed the most content and are trying to keep more ballroom flava to their dances, where as other pros have diluted so much it is scarcely there for some routines.
    Yep, that's a good point. I do think Val is better able to combine the technical side of things with creativity, but both of them have always tried to teach good basic technique and deserve credit for that. Maks stepped up to the plate this week with the tango, so hopefully he can keep it up. (You have to ask yourself though, 'why bother?' if the judges don't even care.... :(:confused:)

Agree about NeNe and husband. Enough!
    Gawd help them if Craig Revel Horwood became a guest judge, they would all need therapy.
    He wouldn't make it out of there alive..... :o

** Oh. They have... :blush::p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lili27 wrote: »

I agreed as well although to achieve his ideal you would need a panel of ballroom dancers not Bruno & Carrie Ann think Anna would be an excellent judges love her and Julien on afterbuzz
    That's when I adored Maks and those two were great together. But it was thirteen seasons ago!!! :D

Wiki also says Candace has AT, Danica - Salsa and James - Samba. I read somewhere Amy has rumba and NeNe is doing AT (PureDwts?). Wonder if she can 'club dance' her way through an AT... :D

Me too they should have won but anyways :D I meant that people had forgot Mel i am sick of all this best partner / only one that can keep up with you (where is the rolling eyes when you need them) makes me want to scream and its insulting to Mel and to a lesser extend Erin who also did a good job keeping up with Maks

As for Nene probably a club dancing tango coming up she getting worst than Cody with his shoulder thing at least you could see potential in Cody if he would just let Witney teach him. Tony seems to have given up trying to teach her after the switch up argument
    Wow soupy I'm mostly agreeing with you again, you are better than me though writing it all down. I think I had my crystal ball about Tony stripping off, either that or they were predictable as per usual!!!

Can't say I thought Grease was particulary a party anthem:confused: but what do I know. Got to agree about James, they were gapping through QS. He was trying to keep up with Peta, but he wasn't in sync with all the footwork and I didn't get the gushing over the quality of his dancing. His shoes definitely drew the eye and not in a good way, I was transfixed by how clumpy they looked.:kitty:

Talk about a dramarama with Maks, he's definitely hogging the limelight in the training room and in the skybox last week. Thought it was a very good dance for Meryl, she certainly looked the part and Maks' choreo was really good (yes apart from the mac coming off). In fact I thought he and Val at least showed the most content and are trying to keep more ballroom flava to their dances, where as other pros have diluted so much it is scarcely there for some routines.

The party anthem night, hammered home, that DWTS original concept of being a ballroom dancing show, has withered on the vine. If Maks and Val are the only ones keeping it going, good on 'em.

NeNe, including her husband, in her routines, is grating on my last nerve, now. She seems to be doing her own thing every week and not really improving that much. Is it a case of the celebs not being willing to learn ballroom technique or the pros not teaching them the basics, it seems a lot of the dances have become style over content. Tony has latched onto what she can do and keeps including it in every routine, boring.

Redfoo or Redfool as someone nicknamed him, he gushes worse than CAI. The judging panel are laughable now, a caricature of themselves. Their scorning is inane, are they pushed into the high scoring by celebs expecting 10's for their efforts, some seem sulky if they get a 9!!!:D Gawd help them if Craig Revel Horwood became a guest judge, they would all need therapy.

Val yes apart from week 1 foxtrot :confused: as for Maks he did a great tango but otherwise this season he hasn't been great he hasn't challenged Meryl as he keeps using her lyrical movement instead of proper technique see foxtrot again. I think Mark & probably Cheryl should be included for this season and as for Derek he can only choreograph what Amy can do.

My biggest disappointment for me has been Tony he was never the best choreographer but he at least stuck to the principle that he was a ballroom dancer teaching ballroom whereas this year we got a lyrical rumba, a foxtrot with no / little hold and a salsa which was all style no substance.

Really miss Tristan tbh

Agree about James (his footwork was awful) and Nene.

As for Craig think that is a great idea want to see the pros & celebs reaction and the forums/twitter explode :D