Options

Shirley Temple RIP

Comments

• Options
    Susie_WilcoxSusie_Wilcox Posts: 1,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes how terrible that the news organisations are reporting on something that has left hundreds of people flooded out of their homes, caused at least one death and will no doubt cost millions to put right.... I sometimes despair at the comments some FM's spout on here, I really do:confused:

RIP :(

Calm down dear. I sympathise but am tired of the rolling coverage 24/7 as if nothing else is happening. It is way OTT - I dont see why it has to be on ALL DAY.
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    R.I.P., Shirley- having read the BBC obituary, I think she would rather be remembered for her political/ ambassadorial work than for her child stardom.
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Calm down dear. I sympathise but am tired of the rolling coverage 24/7 as if nothing else is happening. It is way OTT - I dont see why it has to be on ALL DAY.

Well I must have missed all of this rolling news about it. It's only on all day if you sit and watch Sky News or BBC News 24 for hours on end.
  • Options
    solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She was like the first Bonnie Langford.
  • Options
    Susie_WilcoxSusie_Wilcox Posts: 1,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's so much interesting stuff that's been written about her life as a child star too. Apparently most of her cute curls were glued on but this fact was not known for many years and there were scores of little girls whose mothers tried to turn their hair into Temple curls and many a little girl whose hair was singed by curling tongs :). Just imagine if she had been chosen for Dorothy in Wizard of Oz instead of Judy Garland - Garland was chosen as she was a far superior singer to Shirley.
    A brave lady who endured an abusive first marriage to actor John Agar and then fought and conquered breast cancer later in life. I admired her.
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Adorable actress, RIP.
  • Options
    John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    A very full and varied life, RIP Shirley, your films(although very twee because that was the fashion back in the 30s) will never be forgotten.:(^_^
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is one of the few celebrity deaths that has me genuinely saddened. Have very fond memories of watching Shirley Temple films with my grandmother as a small girl.

RIP to a true talent and wonderful lady. :(
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tictac2 wrote: »

re-read.

RIP Shirley Temple, condolences to all family and friends :(
  • Options
    MurraymarMurraymar Posts: 4,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rip Shirley. I used to love her films when I was a little girl
  • Options
    MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clueless Smooth Radio announcer said she'd died aged 22
  • Options
    quirkyquirkquirkyquirk Posts: 7,160
    Forum Member
    I'm too young to remember her movies when she was very little but been a John Wayne fan I have seen her in Fort Apache and she was great in that.Very cute.So that's how I picture her when I hear her name.

At least she had a long full life.
  • Options
    KookyKatieKookyKatie Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember my mother telling me all about her when there were re-runs of Shirley Temple movies on the TV. I totally adored her as a kid. She was a Hollywood icon and a screen legend. :( Rest in peace.
  • Options
    Yorkie47Yorkie47 Posts: 1,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's a bit patronising, calm down dear indeed. It's not OTT at all, it's a major disaster. The coverage for Mandela was OTT - this is a catastrophe happening in this country. I'm in Yorkshire, which is not affected, but am checking into the news all the time for updates. I am just so sorry for all those people flooded out of their homes. It's a horrendous situation for them.

However, I don't sit in front of the box ALL DAY which apparently you seem to.

By the way - Shirley Temple, RIP. A charming child star who grew up to be an intelligent woman who lived a full and active life.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope her death will prompt at least one of our UK channels to screen some of her films, but somehow I doubt it. Can anyone remember the last time a Shirley Temple flick was shown on TV here, even on Sky?
  • Options
    Rogana JoshRogana Josh Posts: 41,348
    Forum Member
    R.I.P. Shirley Temple.
  • Options
    DanniLaMoneDanniLaMone Posts: 2,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solenoid wrote: »

Was she really? I don't want to be unkind but there is no comparison.
  • Options
    HowardessexHowardessex Posts: 2,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I honestly thought she died years ago , and thought she would have been older than 85 .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    Rip :(
  • Options
    FlannoFlanno Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember getting my first LP 'Shirley Temple's Greatest Hits' at age 6 (can't remember whether it was my birthday or Christmas present)during the early 70s. I had yet to see my first Shirley Temple film then.

Did any FMs here get the LP too? I've still got it stacked with my other LPs in the cupboard - it could turn out to be a nice little earner!

It's sad that Shirley has gone on the Good Ship Lollipop on her way up to Heaven. RIP, Shirley Temple Black.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvSqDtaPAKc
  • Options
    RyJaRyJa Posts: 900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    solenoid wrote: »

Seriously *no words*
  • Options
    Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,198
    Forum Member
    I honestly thought she died years ago , and thought she would have been older than 85 .

It has never been easier to find out whether a celebrity is still with us, or their exact age. The Internet Data Base gives detailed information on anyone who ever appeared in a film or TV.

Or you can just Google their name. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was she really? I don't want to be unkind but there is no comparison.

I have to agree. Strongly.
  • Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope her death will prompt at least one of our UK channels to screen some of her films, but somehow I doubt it. Can anyone remember the last time a Shirley Temple flick was shown on TV here, even on Sky?
    I don't remember one ever being shown on TV, to be perfectly honest. You don't see many musicals from the '30s, let alone Shirley Temple movies. There's a very good reason for that. They are very much "of their time". I suspect only diehard fans would find her films watchable. I think the best tribute would be a documentary about her brief but enormous impact on Hollywood and the world. I'd watch that, but not one of her films.

She was the first of the child stars and she set the formula they all followed. Many others have come along since and been pretty much the same. So looking back she doesn't really seem that special, which is unfair as she blazed the trail.