Options

Susanna leaving the BBC for ITV

cwickhamcwickham Posts: 10,272
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/entertainment/tv-radio/susanna-reid-itv-breakfast-bbc-3150782
ITV will unveil Strictly star Susanna Reid as its new breakfast show host this week, th Sunday People can reveal.

The channel has poached Susanna from BBC Breakfast by *offering her £1million a year, four times her Beeb pay, and her own show.

Station bosses will build a new early morning show – likely to be called Good Morning Britain – around the 43-year-old who became a national sweetheart after appearing on last year’s Strictly Come Dancing.

Her move may mean Aled Jones leaves the Daybreak sofa as bosses look for a different male host to share presenting duties with Susanna.

The TV presenter decided to jump ship after BBC executives failed to offer her a higher-profile role at the corporation.

As we revealed exclusively in last week’s Sunday People, she gave bosses an ultimatum – either give me my own show or I will leave.

Comments

• Options
    white tigresswhite tigress Posts: 3,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, good for her--take the money & run PLUS her family's in London area so less commuting. Glad 'Strictly' paid off for her....but ITV Breakfast shows are notoriously bad, and she's not half as 'appealing' as she thinks she is. Let's just hope she wangles Our Kevin some regular appearance job on it, too, so his fab People Skills and personal charm can feature strongly.
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    Mark and Iveta would have been a much better combination !!!!

"Dwavid Cameron - answer my qvestion or I will Cruuuuuush you !!"
  • Options
    *Topaz**Topaz* Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, good for her--take the money & run PLUS her family's in London area so less commuting. Glad 'Strictly' paid off for her....but ITV Breakfast shows are notoriously bad, and she's not half as 'appealing' as she thinks she is. Let's just hope she wangles Our Kevin some regular appearance job on it, too, so his fab People Skills and personal charm can feature strongly.

I agree with this espeically BIB - ITV breakfast tv hasn't really recovered since they ended GMTV and relaunched as 'Daybreak'... I guess time will tell if ITV's investment in Susuanna has paid off.

You've got to hand it to Susanna though - whether you like her or not she has got bags of self confidence and she's only doing what she thinks is right for her and her family. At least she didn't seem to play out her negotiations with both the broadcasters in public like Christine Bleakley did a few years back.

I shan't be watching her - I rarely watch Breakfast tv these days anyway - I'm more of a radio listener in the mornings.
  • Options
    trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Salford-London commute would've been a killer, good for her in this case.
  • Options
    StrictlyEastendStrictlyEastend Posts: 35,455
    Forum Member

No not good!
    She is going for a HUGE wage.

Typical Susanna.

Just goes anywhere for money!
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I expect the obligatory backlash, having a gorgeous girl like her reading serious news items is a great part of her appeal and as soon as she's in some comfy ITV show that might vanish.

As long as she doesn't get a sneaky gastric band eh.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No not good!

Typical Susanna.

But we're not paying for her - so why should it matter? I would have thought that some people would be glad she's leaving the BBC given the amount of flak she got on here during Strictly.

If it was the BBC then I'd have something to say about it because I personally don't think she's worth the amount ITV are prepared to shell out for her.....but it's a commercial station and it's their money not ours, they're prepared to take the risk so I've no problem with her getting this generous deal from ITV.
  • Options
    white tigresswhite tigress Posts: 3,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No not good!

Typical Susanna.

Yes, but, at '43' she's nearing the end of BBC front-line Female viability. With a family to earn for, one can see her keenness to gain Earnings Stature and yet retain contact with her still young lovely family--ie Less Commuting--so from her side she's played it well... But ITV must be run by idiots if they think SHE alone will pull in viewers unless, as I said, she can wangle uber-popular Keven-From-Grimsby into her Mix. But, frankly, I'd tune in EVERY morning if it WAS the 'KFG Show'--charming, fun, great with people, maybe a dance segment, intelligent, modest, lovely enthusiastic chap--but NOT AT ALL if it is just full-of-self Susannah. But good on her for grabbing the offer before she's All Washed Up in 5yrs time.
  • Options
    StrictlyEastendStrictlyEastend Posts: 35,455
    Forum Member
    Yes, but, at '43' she's nearing the end of BBC front-line Female viability. With a family to earn for, one can see her keenness to gain Earnings Stature and yet retain contact with her still young lovely family--ie Less Commuting--so from her side she's played it well... But ITV must be run by idiots if they think SHE alone will pull in viewers unless, as I said, she can wangle uber-popular Keven-From-Grimsby into her Mix. But, frankly, I'd tune in EVERY morning if it WAS the 'KFG Show'--charming, fun, great with people, maybe a dance segment, intelligent, modest, lovely enthusiastic chap--but NOT AT ALL if it is just full-of-self Susannah. But good on her for grabbing the offer before she's All Washed Up in 5yrs time.

Yes but it should not be about money.
    I can however see why she would. It is closer to home.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes but it should not be about money.
    I can however see why she would. It is closer to home.

Oh come on - if you were offered four times more money by another employer than the amount you were currently earning - would you not take the job offer up? Especially if you felt you weren't being fulfilled or had reached the end of the road in your current job.
  • Options
    fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No not good!

Typical Susanna.

Not to mention how much the tax man will take off her.
  • Options
    Ellie_Ellie_ Posts: 1,453
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No not good!

Typical Susanna.

Yeah imagine going to a similar job, in a better location for more money!

I'll miss her on bbc breakfast but I generally prefer the vibe on the itv morning shows anyway. I think she'll fit in great and good on her to get the gig. Thought she was charming on strictly, and I agree that ITV would be smart if they could somehow work Kevin in now and again (not sure how, but they're just a great duo) that'd be great.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Salford-London commute would've been a killer, good for her in this case.

Aren't ITV's new studios across the dock from the BBC's now?

But in any event, I'm glad the BBC hasn't paid her any more to stay. These people are not quite, "ten a penny," but there's always someone else available from the regions, as far as ability goes.
    Their best asset is their "appeal" to the viewers.

Good luck to her, I hope she does well for herself.
    But if ITV are daft enough to shell out silly money for a presenter of morning TV show, then the licence payers are well rid of her.
  • Options
    MACTOWINMACTOWIN Posts: 34,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daybreak will have to change the Furniture I am sure it is Orange and we would only see her clothes when she sat on the couch.
  • Options
    missfrankiecatmissfrankiecat Posts: 8,388
    Forum Member
    No not good!

Typical Susanna.

Why else would she work? Most of us do it for money. What earthly reason would lead her to turn down more money for essentially the same job?
  • Options
    Mr_XcXMr_XcX Posts: 23,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go for it Susanna :D

I think she is good enough to do prime time news slots though.

BBC would axe her once she reaches 50 anyway. As another poster commented above.
  • Options
    PashultyPashulty Posts: 9,384
    Forum Member
    I watch BBC breakfast while getting ready for work. Loved Sean and was gutted when she left, but quickly accepted Susanna and I like her quite a lot. If she leaves I will get used to whoever presents. On Strictly she might not have been the greatest dancer but she sold it with her enthusiasm & KFG. I think its great if she is accepting a better offer from ITV. Its a shame that people are trying to knock her ...After all if you are working in a job you like and are offered a better deal you would accept it, so why not her ? If on the other hand you are not working at all and just blowing off air, well there's not much to say about it !!
    Whatever Susanna decides, best wishes to her !! :)
  • Options
    bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr_XcX wrote: »
    Go for it Susanna :D

I think she is good enough to do prime time news slots though.

BBC would axe her once she reaches 50 anyway. As another poster commented above.

Typical BBC.
  • Options
    MissT10MissT10 Posts: 167
    Forum Member
    Why else would she work? Most of us do it for money. What earthly reason would lead her to turn down more money for essentially the same job?

Quite...I think most people would take a job that offered more money, and more time with their family.

I'm not sure that ITV or Sky have shown themselves to be any less ruthless at culling female presenters once they reach their 50s...so even more reason to make hay while the sun shines.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr_XcX wrote: »
    BBC would axe her once she reaches 50 anyway.
    Very questionable since the Miriam O'Reilly employment tribunal (and the refreshingly new outlook from the new DG):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12161045
  • Options
    wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do we have any stories about others getting good gigs off the back of Strictly?

No?

Mustn' t be any then....

:D
  • Options
    Mr_XcXMr_XcX Posts: 23,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Very questionable since the Miriam O'Reilly employment tribunal (and the refreshingly new outlook from the new DG):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12161045

TBH if I was a female in BBC I would still have doubts over my future. The production fat cats messed up with Miriam as they had no good reason to get rid of her but I am sure they won't make the same mistake again.
  • Options
    Strictly333666Strictly333666 Posts: 458
    Forum Member
    I think she has actually done very well for herself..... strictly has really brought her into the public eye...... I love Susanna
  • Options
    LazySusanLazySusan Posts: 6,419
    Forum Member
    Ellie_ wrote: »
    Yeah imagine going to a similar job, in a better location for more money!

I'll miss her on bbc breakfast but I generally prefer the vibe on the itv morning shows anyway. I think she'll fit in great and good on her to get the gig. Thought she was charming on strictly, and I agree that ITV would be smart if they could somehow work Kevin in now and again (not sure how, but they're just a great duo) that'd be great.

How would it affect Kevin's contract with BBC ( hopefully ) next year if he had a contract to appear on ITV.
  • Options
    ClartemClartem Posts: 2,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wazzyboy wrote: »
    Do we have any stories about others getting good gigs off the back of Strictly?

No?

Mustn' t be any then....

:D

Err Kara T got her dream of breaking into the west end in Pygmalion, starring alongside Rupert Everett .

Glad Susannah is off to pastures news. At least that reduces the chances of her continuing to dance:)