Series 8 return confirmed?

Comments

• krikkiter68krikkiter68 Posts: 272
    Forum Member
    The_Judge_ wrote: »
    I love the Master, always have. My twisted mind would like to see John Sim return, get killed almost immediately and in a fit of machiavellan brilliance regenerate into Peter Capaldi (which ofcourse no one see s). He then traps and confuses Clara as she thinks she is with the Doctor and really is with a devious man with the Doctor's face.

Finall, eafter some time (ie when this story gets stale) , he is found out and then obviously regenerates into a new actor (perhaps Dance).

I think Peter could pull off some great Capaldi vs Capaldi scenes. It would also be a good twist

Ps I never tire of this link

http://youtu.be/fKsIrGUV4ew

I think this is a great idea. He could fight a duel with himself! :D

Charles Dance would be a wonderful choice IMO. Alex MacQueen would be fantastic at adding a whole layer of silky menace to the character too, he and Capaldi are brilliant together in 'The Thick of It'. :kitty:
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being that he played davros, I think I would alway's hear his voice and think of davros if he were the master, which would make me struggle to concentrate on the fact that he was actually now the master. Especially since, presumably he would have to sound menacing as the master so he'd probably even be using the same tone.

Not saying he couldn't do it, just that i'd find it a little odd

Wouldn't have a problem with that. At least he was disguised and his voice was altered (was it by him or processing like the Daleks ?), apart from when he lost the Davros voice briefly.

He was the plus point in a bad story, and Bleach should be back in some form or other. He was good in Torchwood as well.

Hasn't stopped the next Doctor looking like a Torchwood character and someone from Pompeii.
  • doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,338
    Forum Member
    Wouldn't have a problem with that. At least he was disguised and his voice was altered (was it by him or processing like the Daleks ?), apart from when he lost the Davros voice briefly.

He was the plus point in a bad story, and Bleach should be back in some form or other. He was good in Torchwood as well.

Hasn't stopped the next Doctor looking like a Torchwood character and someone from Pompeii.
    don't get me wrong, I have no problem with someone being in it twice as two different characters, we all know it's happened many times before, was just saying in this example, even though you couldn't make out his real face as davros, his voice was so distinctive in that role, that I, on hearing him sound almost the same playing the master (as I personally assume he would), would personally find it slightly distracting, much in the same way I would if say for example they asked david tennant to voice a cgi character.

all that being said, I liked him as davros, so on his acting ability I think he should be up for future roles, just maybe a good guy instead, although If he were cast as the master Im sure i'd get used to it eventually, just be wierd at first.
  • Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Master gossip, possible contender for the role bad on loose clues:

http://www.kasterborous.com/2014/03/eastenders-michael-moon-doctor-whos-new-master/
  • inspector drakeinspector drake Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally I'd still like to see Simm back. I hope at the very least he can do a full story, then regenerate at the end of it.
  • GillrayGillray Posts: 354
    Forum Member
    The idea of Steve John Shepherd is growing on me (even with the stigma of him being on Eastenders - although he has done other stuff: This Life, From Hell, Layer Cake). Prefer the idea of a lesser known actor rather than a name, in keeping with Delgado and Ainley's casting. Wasn't a fan of Simm and the idea of Charles Dance leaves me cold, smacks of the usual fan-casting such as when Alan Rickman and Jonathan Pryce's names crop up, something obvious and thus boring about it. I also don't think age is relevant - I could see Jacobi working with Smith quite easily, it's their personality that should mirror each other not necessarily their ages.
    Forum Member
    Gillray wrote: »
    The idea of Steve John Shepherd is growing on me (even with the stigma of him being on Eastenders - although he has done other stuff: This Life, From Hell, Layer Cake). Prefer the idea of a lesser known actor rather than a name, in keeping with Delgado and Ainley's casting. Wasn't a fan of Simm and the idea of Charles Dance leaves me cold, smacks of the usual fan-casting such as when Alan Rickman and Jonathan Pryce's names crop up, something obvious and thus boring about it. I also don't think age is relevant - I could see Jacobi working with Smith quite easily, it's their personality that should mirror each other not necessarily their ages.

He was a bad guy on eastenders, so it might actually have helped his case :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't agree with many of these choices but hey :

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yo_rZdjQkHc
    Forum Member
    I don't agree with many of these choices but hey :

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yo_rZdjQkHc

Yawn, the usual suspects. If sci-fi and fantasy geeks watched something other than Harry Potter and Game of Thrones they might be aware (and even surprised) that there are more than the same half a dozen actors working in film and television today.
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't usually indulge in Pre-series gossip but if this casting is true, as I read on the Mirror website last night, then I approve. He played Michael Moon with a very real psychotic edge, and with a very big insanity streak. he was cold, he was mad but not in the John Simm fashion and that is exactly how The Master should be, should he play it that way.

I noticed he has a Classic Master beard as well now and that will be very welcome. Indeed, if Capaldi does play The Doctor in a Pertwee-eque way and this casting is true, maybe the whole Doctor-Master thing will go full circle and be back to what it was in the 70's, where there was mutual respect despite the fact they hated each other.

:)
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could be interesting guess we have to wait to see a trailer. Hopefully august for the autumn drama previews.
    Forum Member
    Noticed the odd bit of light hearted comments and suggestions about Capaldi possibly being the master. I know people don't seriously believe that could be the case but I'm now starting to wonder...

Just watched the point of change again and noticed that his face completely goes off screen for a split second as he changes. Now I and from what I've seen others also, found it a little odd the way the regeneration was done and why it didn't just go through all the way on the clock tower, and although it seems most likely that they just felt this was how they wanted to do it, what if actually Moffat has come up with the most daring plan he has ever done and actually the 'change' which we didn't clearly see, as his face went off screen was a teleport controlled by the master who knew he was regenerating and timed the teleport in such a way that people would believe he was in fact the doctor(and they would 'land' in each others clothes) and the doctor has to spend part of the series convincing clara otherwise. Maybe they could even the suggestion of this could be interesting, as in a man comes up to clara pleading with her to believe that he is the doctor, with capaldi saying he is the master trying to trick her, and were given enough reasonable doubt that we or clara aren't sure for a while who really is doctor or master

I know this is 99.9% sure not to be the case but the face that his face did go off screen has the potential for creative possibilities and I thought it would be fun to speculate :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    <Just_my_opinion>
    I've decided.

Should the Master come back, it should be Eddie Izzard. http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01509/eddieizzard_1509403c.jpg

</>
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if Peter Capaldi Doctor will have any stories in ther series that link in with the Matt Smith Doctor's previous stories.:confused:
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    Hopefully if the Master does return, he isn't crazy hungry skeleton Master.

Yep, this. That was the primary reason I found TEOT so awful, well that and the stupid "Master Race" plot. It was just embarrassing to watch.

I've said this before but I would quite like Timothy Dalton as the next Master. There is the immediate problem that we've already seen him as Rassilon, but that is easy to get around. The Master has a history of body snatching and since he was betrayed by Rassilon last time we saw him and his body had become unstable, it could be said that he has taken possession of Rasilon's body. Plus it would mean we would have an older Master to match Capaldi's older Doctor.
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would be good to watch Doctor cnfront a new master. Could be tied into the whole search for Galifrey thing left over from the 50th. You could argue the doctor owes the timelords a debt. They gave him another cycle of regenerations at trenzalore. Maybe if he confronts and stops the master doing whatever he is going to be doing they can say he settled the debt. Finish teh main S8 storline so Christmas Special and S9 in 2015 can tell new stories.
  • tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even if we have a new Master, Simm could still play the role - a multi-Master story is overdue!

I've just Google searched, and found that there are only three people who played the Master that are still alive. Geoffrey Beevers, Eric Roberts and John Simm. Geoffrey Beevers played the Master in the 1981 story The Keeper of Traken, but he's getting on a bit. He's 72 years old, according to Wikipedia.

It would be fun having a multi-Master story, but we've had something like that before. Remember The Mark of the Rani during Colin Baker's time on DW? We had both the Master and the Rani trying to get rid of the Doctor, in the 19th Century.

http://www.doctorwhoworld.org.uk/Images/dvdcovers/markofranidvd.jpg
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    No one has referenced that the last time we saw the Master he was bound for Gallifrey in combat with Rasillon having discovered that he was driven mad (i.e. Became evil) because of the drumming sound or homing signal planted in his head by the Time Lords. Saving the Doctor in the process. Why would he return to being the villain again and against the Dr? If he was on Galifrey when it was sent into the pocket universe then that's where he is trapped.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kayelpee wrote: »
    No one has referenced that the last time we saw the Master he was bound for Gallifrey in combat with Rasillon having discovered that he was driven mad (i.e. Became evil) because of the drumming sound or homing signal planted in his head by the Time Lords. Saving the Doctor in the process. Why would he return to being the villain again and against the Dr? If he was on Galifrey when it was sent into the pocket universe then that's where he is trapped.

That pretty much says it all, really.

End of thread.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sandydune wrote: »
    I wonder if Peter Capaldi Doctor will have any stories in ther series that link in with the Matt Smith Doctor's previous stories.:confused:

We do have Mme. Vastra, Jenny and Sontaran Officer Strax coming back for Series 8. Episode 1 apparently. So those three coming back may tie in with some of the stories they've been in previously.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/c394a582fd4023ddf9a5365ac7815d6c/tumblr_mfm7mrukDL1qlvsj5o1_500.gif
    Forum Member
    <Just_my_opinion>
    I've decided.

Should the Master come back, it should be Eddie Izzard. http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01509/eddieizzard_1509403c.jpg

</>

Wow, he's wearing black and has a beard! Sign him up straight away! And let's cast Stephen Hawking as Davros while we're at.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, he's wearing black and has a beard! Sign him up straight away! And let's cast Stephen Hawking as Davros while we're at.

Yes your right, i suggested Eddie Izzard because of what he looked like in one photo and not because I thought he would be brilliant at playing an unhinged scheming mastermind. But since you need me to actually put that in words for you, well there you go I just did.
  • sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member

I was thinking Brian Potter from Phoenix Nights would be a better Davros.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiggerpooh wrote: »
    I've just Google searched, and found that there are only three people who played the Master that are still alive. Geoffrey Beevers, Eric Roberts and John Simm.http://www.doctorwhoworld.org.uk/Images/dvdcovers/markofranidvd.jpg

+Derek Jacobi
    Forum Member
    Yes your right, i suggested Eddie Izzard because of what he looked like in one photo and not because I thought he would be brilliant at playing an unhinged scheming mastermind. But since you need me to actually put that in words for you, well there you go I just did.

I presumed it must have been what he looked like in that photo that made you choose him as it couldn't possibly have been his acting ability, of which he has none. Is there a casting the Doctor/Master app which just brings up pictures of Eddie Izzard, Alan Rickman and Stephen Fry, etc?