Options

Everybody Loves Country Music?

2»

Comments

• Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not a huge fan of country but I do agree with the OP. I think everyone will always find ONE song within each genre that they can't help but begrudgingly like. And if you can think of a genre where you don't like a single song, then I reckon you haven't found that song yet.

In terms of country, for me it's The Band Perry. 'Don't Let Me Be Lonely' and ' If I Die Young' are great songs.
  • Options
    shankly123shankly123 Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is some absolutely terrible country and western music - the 'crystal chandeliers' and 'blanket on the ground' stuff, but there are also some great country artists - a particular favourite of mine is Emmylou Harris - how can you not love that voice? and I speak as a heavy rock music fan. I suppose there's merit in all genres of music - I find it hard to find any in most dance music, rap, r and b etc, but now and then I hear a song that I quite like even in that.
  • Options
    gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't stand it, terrible genre of music.
    Most of the music discussed on here then
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's plenty of country stuff i don't mind. Sugarland, The Band Perry, The Dixie Chicks and a few more. Wouldn't say I'm a country fan in that sense, but more, as everyone else has said, that I just find some stuff about the genre i like.
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,498
    Forum Member
    I hate both types - country AND western...
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate both types - country AND western...

I think that should be Country and Southern and I like both.
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,498
    Forum Member
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    I think that should be Country and Southern and I like both.

It was a Blues Brothers reference.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dandem wrote: »
    I'm not a huge fan of country but I do agree with the OP. I think everyone will always find ONE song within each genre that they can't help but begrudgingly like. And if you can think of a genre where you don't like a single song, then I reckon you haven't found that song yet.

In terms of country, for me it's The Band Perry. 'Don't Let Me Be Lonely' and ' If I Die Young' are great songs.

Yeah I think so too.

But some here claim to hate it all. I'll just have to take their word for it.

It's not good when people take it too far tbh. In the early 80s my parents knew a couple who lived nearby and ran some kind of record club. I thought they were just normal people until I spotted them going out one night dressed up in all that cowboy and cowgirl shiz. My old man explained that they did it regularly, and went to some kind of country and western club. And the guns he carried weren't real. I implored my parents to stop funding their madness through the record club and buy Quo albums elsewhere. Cowboys with Scottish accents can never be right.
  • Options
    River_TamRiver_Tam Posts: 10,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It depends, I like Conor Oberst and Emmy Lou Harris, is this country music?

Emmylou really is country!

I adore county music.
    Proper Bluegrass country.
    Check out Alison Krauss and union station.

Don't really understand why it is so "hated" as a genre.
    Great singers, songs that tell stories that can move you or make you laugh in under 3 minutes, and beautifully delicate instrumental
    arrangements.
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was a Blues Brothers reference.

Yes I know but I'm on a mission too, to get the name changed to Country and Southern because that would reflect the geography of the music.
  • Options
    Goblin QueenGoblin Queen Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I despise country music. It's the one genre I can't listen to at all (I don't think pop-country artists like Shania Twain or Taylor Swift count as proper, hardcore country). I would rather claw my own ears off my face than listen to country music. I consider it a form of torture and there used to be a market stall where I live in the high street that used to play the most God-awful country dirge imaginable whenever they were there...it made me want to kill myself.

Your mate has some strange ideas if he thinks everyone likes it! :D
  • Options
    River_TamRiver_Tam Posts: 10,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    like most genres of music there are some very terrible songs, but there are also, usually, many good one.

I can not stand drum and bass stuff, I am yet to hear a good dubstep song as well.
  • Options
    Johnny_CashJohnny_Cash Posts: 2,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the crap that comes out of nashville, and austin and luckenbach and bakersfield. I love it, not americana or indie musicians that dabble, **** that shit. Everyone loves country, and in the case of my family, if they dont initially, they do eventually.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    SHeDAISY
    Dierks Bentley
  • Options
    SweetHeartHollySweetHeartHolly Posts: 1,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^^ I miss SheDaisy! :(:(:(

God bless you and the awesome act always!!! :):):)

Holly (a day one fan of them)
  • Options
    Goblin QueenGoblin Queen Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    . Everyone loves country

Bollocks.
  • Options
    Johnny_CashJohnny_Cash Posts: 2,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bollocks.