London Marathon 2014

124»

Comments

• alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same bloody package from earlier - GET THE CREWS OUT THERE!
    Thank you.
  • merlinsmummerlinsmum Posts: 3,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe how negative the BBC team are in their comments on Mo's performance.>:( All they are on about is how he failed to break the British record, I haven't heard any of them mention that he set a new English record, which is pretty good going imo for a first time out!
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why aren't the crews getting out there, running alongside etc like they did back in the day?
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alcockell wrote: »
    What the hell happened to the coverage this year? NOTHING about the amateurs in fancy dress - camera crews running with them - the volunteers supporting them - SOD ALL about that..

Agree...far to much time spent on looking at Mo, he wasn't even in the running to win, yet time and time again spent watching him rather than the leaders, or any of the other runners. It's a competitive race, not look who's down in 6th or 7th.
  • BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The London Marathon has always focused on the elite racers for the first few hours once they finish they switch to the fun runners. It is about this time they start hitting the masses coming over the bridge. I can only assume those moaning about the focus on Mo / Leaders have never watched it much in the past. Don't forget this is an elite sporting event not just a charity run.

In terms of Mo's performance I think Brendan was very hard on him but I suppose only because he wants him to focus on winning medal on the track. It was a good performance don't forget it is his first ever Marathon.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Running the marathon all these years and those two guys still haven't saved the rhino yet.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    starsailor wrote: »
    The BBC do seem to have been overhyping Farah, and frankly putting too much pressure on him.

I do think that this is the case. For the last week or so it felt as if commentators and people interviewing him were hyping things up a bit, with Mo himself trying to be more measured to try and moderate expectations. He offered a pragmatic view and said that he didn't know how it would go, and that he was just trying it out to see.
  • habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This must be the first year I switched off the coverage before the end.

I thought it was supposed to be the Virgin Money London Marathon NOT the Farah Marathon!!!

And they put trackers on about 10 well known people.What happened to the coverage of that?
  • Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unfortunately a runner has passed away, after crossing the finishing line.
  • PompeyBillPompeyBill Posts: 7,409
    Forum Member
    habby wrote: »
    This must be the first year I switched off the coverage before the end.

I thought it was supposed to be the Virgin Money London Marathon NOT the Farah Marathon!!!

And they put trackers on about 10 well known people.What happened to the coverage of that?

Agree with this, I switched it off long before the finish. Even on the odd occasions when they focussed on the leaders, or other runners, Farah invariably cropped up in the commentary as regards what he had to do, and how he was doing in relation. Hopefully he goes back to the track for next year, so we can actually concentrate on the actual marathon itself next year.

Mo Farah.

Once more, for old times sake. Mo Farah.

Mo.
  • *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do think that this is the case. For the last week or so it felt as if commentators and people interviewing him were hyping things up a bit, with Mo himself trying to be more measured to try and moderate expectations. He offered a pragmatic view and said that he didn't know how it would go, and that he was just trying it out to see.

It's just like Wimbledon. As soon as we have a player who is fairly good, and might theoretically win it one day, the media gets over-excited and acts as if they have a great chance of winning it this year. Not winning is then treated as a disaster. Some pundits and a lot of the public then act as if the player is a failure to be mocked for only reaching the semi-finals.:confused:
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PompeyBill wrote: »
    AHopefully he goes back to the track for next year, so we can actually concentrate on the actual marathon itself next year.

But was it really any different from when Paula was taking part?
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mo's performance is explained here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/athletics/london-marathon/10756131/Mo-Farah-to-run-in-slower-group-in-London-Marathon.html

The article was written last week but sums it up. The tactic was for Mo to intentionally run slower than the leaders but to run evenly the entire distance anticipating the leaders to crash and burn towards the end. A sort of turtle catches the hare type of approach. I'm not sure what's happened.. if he's decided to run quicker at some point.. perhaps when he had to catch up with the pacers.. but it's possible he's burnt too much energy. However the plan does seem to have somewhat worked because he WAS catching up people at the end and passing them. So something worked yesterday.
  • PompeyBillPompeyBill Posts: 7,409
    Forum Member

Not really, hence why I was glad when she finally called it a day.
  • grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Granted the Olympics were always a bit of a soap opera, but the difference was that Paula genuinely was the best in the world at her peak.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But at least she had a chance of winning it.
  • Marmite BabyMarmite Baby Posts: 3,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seeing Mo Farah struggle made me appreciate what a great runner Steve Jones was & how his achievements at the time have been largely forgotten. In his first marathon, he broke the world record who knows what he could run with advance in sports science over the last 30 years & altitude training.
  • Ashford SteveAshford Steve Posts: 2,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Sparkle* wrote: »
    It's just like Wimbledon. As soon as we have a player who is fairly good, and might theoretically win it one day, the media gets over-excited and acts as if they have a great chance of winning it this year. Not winning is then treated as a disaster. Some pundits and a lot of the public then act as if the player is a failure to be mocked for only reaching the semi-finals.:confused:

Crossing my fingers that the tabloids don't resort to calling him "Somali born athlete" Farah in response to just one bad race. :blush: Even if, Like /wimbledon within the tennis world, it's the only one they give a damn about, because it happens in their precious London. >:(
  • Michael_HopeMichael_Hope Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    I was shocked at how negative the BBC were about Mo Farah; lets think about:

1) it was his first competitive marathon
    2) It was in front of a home crowd
    3) It's one of the hardest courses in the world
    4) It was the best field ever

And yet NONE of this was said in the reporting, instead David Bond said "Mo only gets 8th" and the front page had a article saying "Why didn't Mo win!?" It is beyond ridiculous!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was shocked at how negative the BBC were about Mo Farah; lets think about:

1) it was his first competitive marathon
    2) It was in front of a home crowd
    3) It's one of the hardest courses in the world
    4) It was the best field ever

And yet NONE of this was said in the reporting, instead David Bond said "Mo only gets 8th" and the front page had a article saying "Why didn't Mo win!?" It is beyond ridiculous!

You must have been watching a different marathon then, as all of those things were mentioned.

The amount of focus that was actually on Mo, compared to lets say those actually at the front of the race was what was beyond ridiculous.