Scottish referendum poll April 2014

smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
Forum Member
I thought it was about time for another poll as it's a while since the last one and polls have changed a bit.

Previous ones were 10/1/12 http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1612752&highlight=referendum and 8/8/13 http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1870764&highlight=referendum
I think there was another one a couple of months ago but I can't find it using the search.

Options on yes, no, don't know and for those able to vote and those not able to vote

Should Scotland be an Independent Country 65 votes

Able to vote: YES
23% 15 votes
Able to vote: NO
16% 11 votes
Able to vote: Don't know
1% 1 vote
Not able to vote: YES
26% 17 votes
Not able to vote: NO
26% 17 votes
Not able to vote: Don't know
6% 4 votes

Comments

• 3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not able to vote: NO
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    I've had a long journey on this, to squeeze a cliché until the pips squeak. I started out thinking devo max would be the best way, but that option was taken off the table. I was then vehemently anti-independence, probably until last summer when the Better Together campaign started with the scare stories and became a solid "don't know", combined with the biased and one sided reporting in the Scottish Press. Until last week I was leaning slightly towards "yes" and following a debate with Danny Alexander last Friday I am now leaning strongly to a "yes". I could be persuaded to vote "no" if the 3 major parties could get their act together and say what they will do for Scotland in the event of a no vote and all say that it will be in their manifestos with a priority to be acted on in the first or second years of the government with a second referendum if they haven't carried out their promises.
  • DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had a long journey on this, .........

If you want my opinion on this, probably not, you are just being a tease. You will vote Yes on 18 September and that has always been the case. By all this equivocation and apparent gradual edging to the Yes camp you are hoping to present it as a considered and rational decision.

Its not necessary, vote how you want and you don't need to justify it to anyone, unless of course you are using the justification as part of your own personal campaign. Now that's a thought isn't it ....................
  • Auld SnodyAuld Snody Posts: 15,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I started of as don't know veering to yes and asked many times for the unionists to show me some positive reasons to vote no. As yet not one has. One can only hazard a guess as to why that is.
  • AZZURRI 06AZZURRI 06 Posts: 11,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally I don`t understand what type of independence Scotland wants, if the Queen is going to remain head of state. What`s THAT all about? Either you are independent or you are not. Wonder if the British government will illegally partition Scotland if a vocal militant minority refuse to accept the democratic wishes of the majority, as happened in Ireland? Doubt it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had a long journey on this,.

Stop the pretence, it doesn't suit you.

Of course you'll vote 'yes' to independence. You hate being British.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AZZURRI 06 wrote: »
    Personally I don`t understand what type of independence Scotland wants, if the Queen is going to remain head of state. What`s THAT all about? Either you are independent or you are not. Wonder if the British government will illegally partition Scotland if a vocal militant minority refuse to accept the democratic wishes of the majority, as happened in Ireland? Doubt it.

She is our Queen as well. Reading up a little bit of the history of the UK would make it clear for you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Being proindependence doe not mean that you hate Britain , why would you think that?
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I thought you hated political unions? Or is that only when Johnny Foreigner is involved? Maybe you'd change your anti-EU views if Brussels had the same kind of power over EU member states as Westminster does...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Auld Snody wrote: »
    Being proindependence doe not mean that you hate Britain , why would you think that?

Apparently one can be anti-EU without hating Europeans and Europe, but one cannot be pro Scottish independence without hating Britain. Go figure.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The "you" I referred to was Smudge's Dad, based on his posting style.
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    I thought you hated political unions? Or is that only when Johnny Foreigner is involved? Maybe you'd change your anti-EU views if Brussels had the same kind of power over EU member states as Westminster does...

How do you claim to know what I hate / don't hate?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well he has ever struck me as being anti British.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Based on the posts you leave on this public forum - just as you claim to know what smudges dad hates. Unless you're just at it and playing a character here, of course - that, I don't know.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well he has ever struck me as being anti British.

Maybe he isn't. Many of us come across in a way which may not reflect who we really are in life.

Maybe Smudge's Dad isn't anti-British, but he definitely comes across as xenophobic towards the English.
    Based on the posts you leave on this public forum - just as you claim to know what smudges dad hates. Unless you're just at it and playing a character here, of course - that, I don't know.

I'm flattered that I'm even noticed to be honest ;-)
    Forum Member
    If you want my opinion on this, probably not, you are just being a tease. You will vote Yes on 18 September and that has always been the case. By all this equivocation and apparent gradual edging to the Yes camp you are hoping to present it as a considered and rational decision.

Its not necessary, vote how you want and you don't need to justify it to anyone, unless of course you are using the justification as part of your own personal campaign. Now that's a thought isn't it ....................

You are, of course, totally wrong. However, if you wish to call me a liar then I'll accept it as you going back to your old ways.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oh, you!
    Forum Member
    Maybe he isn't. Many of us come across in a way which may not reflect who we really are in life.

Maybe Smudge's Dad isn't anti-British, but he definitely comes across as xenophobic towards the English.

How can I be xenophobic against myself? Born and brought up in Teesside, I only moved to Scotland 4 years ago.
  • DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are, of course, totally wrong. However, if you wish to call me a liar then I'll accept it as you going back to your old ways.

I didn't call you anything I gave you my opinion. The clue was when I started

"If you want my opinion ... "
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Cannot say I have ever seen that in his posts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How can I be xenophobic against myself? Born and brought up in Teesside, I only moved to Scotland 4 years ago.

It is how you come across - to me anyway - and I am not always right.

I have seen it and at times I've felt very sorry for poor old Smudge - who I think is a cat :kitty:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I and seem it and at times I've felt very sorry for poor old Smudge - who I think is a cat :kitty:

Care to link to one of these posts so we can see what you are talking about?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Me neither - smudges dad is one of the few folk on here that I've always pegged as a genuine undecided in the Scottish referendum debate. He is always polite and questioning, whereas others are quite clearly shills pretending not to know how to vote but letting the mask drop occasionally with discernible thuds!
  • PalafrugelPalafrugel Posts: 2,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is this "able to vote" nonsense?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me neither - smudges dad is one of the few folk on here that I've always pegged as a genuine undecided in the Scottish referendum debate. He is always polite and questioning, whereas others are quite clearly shills pretending not to know how to vote but letting the mask drop occasionally with discernible thuds!

That would be the black sheep of the forum. :D
    Forum Member

I have seen it and at times I've felt very sorry for poor old Smudge - who I think is a cat :kitty:
    Smudge was a 19 1/2 year old brown tortie :kitty: who died last September:cry:
    I'm surprised I come across as anti-British - I thought I always supported the British virtues of fair play, equality and acceptance of all, tinged with a healthy dose of pacifism and an intense dislike / contempt of the Conservatives and anyone to the right of them.