Options

Tesco first MVNO to offer FREE 4G

wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
Forum Member
✭✭
Tesco Mobile has joined the 4G price war by announcing its 4G service will be free from today (30 January). The retailer also confirmed that both new and existing SIM-only postpay customers would benefit from an ultrafast service at no extra charge, making it the first MVNO to offer the service for free. The supermarket chain had been charging £2.50 extra for 4G previously. Tesco chief marketing officer, Simon Groves, said: ‘After giving customers the chance to try 4G at their own pace with our flexible 4G tariffs, we've seen people really benefit from what it has to offer. Customers should be able to expect more from their mobile network, so as we see demand for 4G become more widespread, we wanted to take a different approach. Introducing free 4G is a clear example of our intention to provide all of our customers with the very best at no extra cost.’

See more at: http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/News/28030/tesco_becomes_first_mvno_to_offer_free_4g_service.aspx#sthash.foO4ZUrb.dpuf

Comments

• Options
    nafanny29nafanny29 Posts: 1,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tesco Mobile has joined the 4G price war by announcing its 4G service will be free from today (30 January). The retailer also confirmed that both new and existing SIM-only postpay customers would benefit from an ultrafast service at no extra charge, making it the first MVNO to offer the service for free. The supermarket chain had been charging £2.50 extra for 4G previously. Tesco chief marketing officer, Simon Groves, said: ‘After giving customers the chance to try 4G at their own pace with our flexible 4G tariffs, we've seen people really benefit from what it has to offer. Customers should be able to expect more from their mobile network, so as we see demand for 4G become more widespread, we wanted to take a different approach. Introducing free 4G is a clear example of our intention to provide all of our customers with the very best at no extra cost.’

See more at: http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/News/28030/tesco_becomes_first_mvno_to_offer_free_4g_service.aspx#sthash.foO4ZUrb.dpuf

Free 4G that will last about an hour every month before hitting the limit LOL
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nafanny29 wrote: »
    Free 4G that will last about an hour every month before hitting the limit LOL

750 Mins / 5000 SMS + 2GB of Data is very good value at £12.50 per month on SIM Only and 2GB for mobile use will suit lots of customers who already have Wi-Fi at home and work.

£17.50 buys 2000 Mins / 5000 SMS + 3GB of data.

http://shop.tescomobile.com/mobile-phones/Tesco+Mobile/StandardMicro+SIM/tariff

Both are 1 month roling contracts.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 147
    Forum Member
    It's the data allowance that makes it a deal breaker for me.

3GB is paltry.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

3GB is paltry.

Not for me and 1000's of others though.

3GB or even 2GB is fine for casual use especially if free work/home wi-fi is available a lot of the time.
  • Options
    jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Great news for Tesco mobile customers and consumers in general. It's good to see a MVNO taking this route as to be honest it's something you'd expect more from them than an MNO who has more costs to cover.

Tesco provide some of the best SIM Only and contract deals on the market compared to some other networks and this move will no doubt allow Tesco to increase their customer base.

I wonder what Giff Gaff will do from here. Tesco also use O2 and are providing 4G at no extra cost. The only USP that Giff Gaff have is their unlimited data product. So I wonder if Giff Gaff will also launch 4G with no changes/increases to their prices or if they'll increase their prices like other networks have.

That also brings me on to Virgin who have excellent tariffs at the moment despite their ever changing fair use polices. But if they were to offer 4G at no extra cost as well it could really give all the big MNO's a run for their money when it comes to 4G.
  • Options
    finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

3GB is paltry.

You know I generally use about 150mb a month. Wifi at work and home sees many able to get buy with very little in the way of data. The problem with all of these deals is that EE is the only provider anywhere near me in Cumbria offering 4G and that is still 20 miles away. I will pay attention to this next year and I expect by then that market forces will ensure that data is just data with no premium.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    I supposedly live in the centre of an indoor o2 4g area. I bought one of their 30 day Sims with a gig of data. Couldn't even get 4g on my balcony let alone indoors.

Good to see the price of 4g coming down but it's always a good idea to check coverage before signing up to a long contract.

Tesco customer service was fantastic though. They refunded me the whole months payment even though I'd used all the data allowance.
  • Options
    WelshBluebirdWelshBluebird Posts: 740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Data allowance is still way too small.
  • Options
    OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not for me and 1000's of others though.

3GB or even 2GB is fine for casual use especially if free work/home wi-fi is available a lot of the time.

Would be fine for me too, for the first time ever I hit my 250mb data allowance with Tmobile who then give another free 250mb allowance for the remaining month.
  • Options
    SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »
    You know I generally use about 150mb a month. Wifi at work and home sees many able to get buy with very little in the way of data. The problem with all of these deals is that EE is the only provider anywhere near me in Cumbria offering 4G and that is still 20 miles away. I will pay attention to this next year and I expect by then that market forces will ensure that data is just data with no premium.

As I see it EE are the only ones with a 4G network at this moment when you talk in terms of network.

Hope that changes sometime soon.:)
  • Options
    RileyMRileyM Posts: 2,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And here i am (still) paying £5 extra to the co-Parent company (O2) for 4G. O2 have since announced that 4G would be free to (at least some) customers (if i remember correctly though who were on the high data allowance packages). And that those who were already paying £5 extra but wouldve got it free (ie early adobters/upgraders like me) would get a extra data.

That was almost two months ago...and i've not heard a thing from O2 yet

Happy for all the Tesco Mobile customers though
  • Options
    tarziontarzion Posts: 663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    750 Mins / 5000 SMS + 2GB of Data is very good value at £12.50 per month on SIM Only and 2GB for mobile use will suit lots of customers who already have Wi-Fi at home and work.

£17.50 buys 2000 Mins / 5000 SMS + 3GB of data.

http://shop.tescomobile.com/mobile-phones/Tesco+Mobile/StandardMicro+SIM/tariff

Both are 1 month roling contracts.

Don't see the point of 4G then... The faster the speeds the urge to use more..
  • Options
    eljmayeseljmayes Posts: 1,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's £25 per month for 250 minutes, 5000 texts and 8GB of 4G on a one month rolling contract. That's not too bad all told currently.
  • Options
    qasdfdsaqqasdfdsaq Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

3GB is paltry.

Yeah there will always be people who want more or use more. I don't think Tesco are targeting the heavy user market.

The average user, uses something like 2-3GB per month on 4G according to most estimates, and Billmonitor says the average UK bill is like £36 a month.

The deals they have are a bargain in comparison.

It's only a small minority of users that either use more than 3GB or even are savvy enough to seek out an appropriate deal. 76% of UK consumers waste an average of £194 a year by being on the wrong contract, mostly from paying for far too high a call or data allowance than they actually need.
  • Options
    rocketronnie75rocketronnie75 Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    Will we have to ring Tesco to get this activated or will we get upgraded automatically???
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does O2 have any substantial LTE coverage yet?

I did notice at work that VF/O2/EE showed up in the network search, but since my office is near Slough it's understandable that O2 (and VF via their sharing agreement) would have coverage..
  • Options
    enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another good thing by tesco nice to see, Not sure if anyone is interested but they are also going to start selling FTTC soon.
    moox wrote: »
    Does O2 have any substantial LTE coverage yet?

I did notice at work that VF/O2/EE showed up in the network search, but since my office is near Slough it's understandable that O2 (and VF via their sharing agreement) would have coverage..

I would say not yet they are saying they have 30% population coverage nothing to write home about yet but it has only been 5 months so it still pretty decent. If they manage to do get the other 68% in just under two years now is the massive thing as you get higher population gets harder to get.

If there coverage map is be believed might start seeing 4G on Three as well soon they have turned at least one mast on in slough. And reading has expanded outward a bit.
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a toggle you manage online (and it's only for contract, not prepay). Previously it was £2.50 a month, now it's £0.00.. and apparently you can still turn it on/off, although I have no idea why you would!!
  • Options
    reclusive46reclusive46 Posts: 584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    It's a toggle you manage online (and it's only for contract, not prepay). Previously it was £2.50 a month, now it's £0.00.. and apparently you can still turn it on/off, although I have no idea why you would!!

I must admit, I can't even see it online anymore.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jonmorris wrote: »

I can't see the toggle anywhere. I'm on a 12 month sim only deal.

EDIT: Its all sorted. Went on to live chat and he added for me but got to wait until 23rd feb before it becomes active.
  • Options
    reclusive46reclusive46 Posts: 584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't see the toggle anywhere. I'm on a 12 month sim only deal.

EDIT: Its all sorted. Went on to live chat and he added for me but got to wait until 23rd feb before it becomes active.

I was looking for live chat myself but couldn't find it. Weird thing was that I was already paying for 4G but I can't see it online from today.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I was looking for live chat myself but couldn't find it. Weird thing was that I was already paying for 4G but I can't see it online from today.

I was browsing the help section on the Tesco mobile site and a popup came up asking me if I wanted to live chat.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tesco are crap

I'm going to use this post to make factually incorrect assumptions and turn them against Tesco.

That's how it works is it not Wavejock?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xreyuk123 wrote: »
    Tesco are crap

I'm going to use this post to make factually incorrect assumptions and turn them against Tesco.

That's how it works is it not Wavejock?

Highly constructive.

Was that supposed to develop discussion about the topic?

Mods are awaiting further evidence of deliberate intimidation.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    Highly constructive.

Was that supposed to develop discussion about the topic?

Mods are awaiting further evidence of deliberate intimidation.

If this was the case how are you still even allowed on here.

This is the same thing you are doing on another thread and think it is acceptable but not when it is on something you believe in

Just stating a fact the comment above is the same sort of thing you post and is allowed

This is not intimidation but a discussion on an active topic