HBO plans to go solo

gothergother Posts: 14,699
Forum Member
✭✭
HBO is planning to let you watch it's shows without the need of cable in 2015 it seems.
I personally think this is a great idea.
http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/15/6982049/hbo-go-will-offer-standalone-subscription-2015

Comments

• Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Doubt we'll get it in the UK, so will have to use the usual work arounds
  • ovbgovbg Posts: 1,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Considering HBO started this outside of the USA with HBO Nordic, it may not be so outlandish to imagine HBO expanding to the UK as well.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Would be great but what about SKY they must be paying millions to show GOT can't see them being happy if HBO decide to stream it into the UK, unless they do it a day later. If so my sky sub is looking under fire.
  • ovbgovbg Posts: 1,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HBO would have complexities to deal with regarding the licensing of their own material, but the chances are they sign off a season one at a time. They have been planning OTT services for a while now, and HBO Nordic and HBO Poland are examples of them testing the waters.

HBO GO for next year in the US would signify a commitment for HBO to move in this direction.

Regarding licensing conflicts, this is nothing new. Netflix arrived in Germany last month missing a pile of their own inhouse productions because they already signed off the seasons to other German providers. Netflix without House of Cards? Crazy, but it happens. I can assure you though, any new seasons will not be signed off to other German streaming portals. And this would be how HBO will most likely react.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    HBO have been very clear stateside, that while they're going over the top, they'll still be working closely with current partners. They won't want to upset Sky, whom have built Sky Atlantic around HBO programming.

I hope I'm either wrong or we get a Sky branded HBO Go, but my expectation is we'll all end up accessing the US version through the same means we all currently use Hulu.
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i imagine it wants to get away from control solely by rupert murdoch. no doubt he has asked for less quality drama and more huge tits instead ...... which is not how actresses want to "get parts" .....
  • The PhazerThe Phazer Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member
    HBO have been very clear stateside, that while they're going over the top, they'll still be working closely with current partners. They won't want to upset Sky, whom have built Sky Atlantic around HBO programming.

I hope I'm either wrong or we get a Sky branded HBO Go, but my expectation is we'll all end up accessing the US version through the same means we all currently use Hulu.

Sky have watertight exclusivity until 2020. That will not be changing.