Series 8 Won't Be While Autumn 2014

Comments

• Richard_WatsonRichard_Watson Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Which does not relate to the other part of the quote:

Seeing as the last lot were left overs.

Well, they were left over from what should normally have been aired in 2012, weren't they?
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    That said all of the advertising for 7B pushed it as being a "new" series; which given the change in titles, characters, costumes and sets it clearly was. But if they'd actually called it Series 8 then there'd be no way of denying that there'd been a reduction in production.

Completely agree.
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    Well, they were left over from what should normally have been aired in 2012, weren't they?

As we all know circumstances were far from normal. Maybe you'd like them to have aired what little they'd completed of 7b back in 2012, but I preferred watching the completed episodes ;)
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But, semantics, schedule assumptions and even some fan obsessives aside, my original point was that it's unlikely that the majority of the viewers would see it that way (or even care).
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Late summer / Autumn. Not much difference to me. A few weeks difference at the most. Not a big deal.
  • bbll22bbll22 Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Series 8 airing next autumn is no problem in my books. It feels better when in autumn anyway to me. And to be honest, if S8 is a straight run, which is best for Capaldi's opening series, I hope it goes back to the split thereafter.

I much prefer the split series approach and was glad that something like it came about. It freshened things up well to me and I'd do the same if I was in charge. Having the show in the same routine of April/May-June year after year although reliable means it just becomes repetitive and unimaginative in that sense, it becomes part of the furniture - its just there, the same as ever kind of feeling.

Personally, it was beginning to feel like "Oh its April, Doctor Who must be on soon I suppose then..." at the time of S4 which wasn't great to me as it felt like I could have guessed it was going to happen. It was just there.

I liked the fact the split has shaken it up a bit and its not harmed the show at all when viewing figures are looked at. Its in good health and will continue to be like that regardless of where it is shown and how it is shown in the year if you ask me. So, Series 8 to be broadcast in one go for the benefit of Capaldi, but a split thereafter is my preference by far....
  • W._O._FrobozzW._O._Frobozz Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    Only one family losing interest? That's a pretty good result then.

*Shrug* Whatever. Thought this was a family show and "for the kids" as they like to say. If they can't hold the kids, they're doing something wrong. And I've yet to speak to anyone who watches who actually likes the stupid "split series" idea Moffat insists on driving the show into the ground with.
  • RooksRooks Posts: 9,067
    Forum Member
    It's bound to be split. Remember that the BBC already have a fantasy drama on Saturday nights in the Autumn (previously Merlin, now Atlantis). Would they really run both at the same time? This is assuming that the Atlantis team, like the Merlin team are able to produce a series per year (and it's successful of course). So either Atlantis get's shifted to spring or we get just 6 episodes max in Autumn.

But worse is that in the entire 50th anniversary year we'll have gotten just two episodes, one of which is the normal Christmas one anyway (maybe a few at the year end of the 50th year if the autumn episodes are at the start of the autumn). Very disappointing and very poorly planned by the BBC. I don't mean to be negative but I'm finding it quite difficult to be excited about the future of the show right now. It feels like a show that's winding down :(
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    A split in Capaldi's debut year would be a bad idea and narratively, it actually doesn't help the show either.

Air Series 8 unbroken in the Autumn and if Atlantis is picked up for a second season, either try and air it on Sundays or leave it to Spring 2015.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I seem to be in a minority in not minding a split series. If we had 6 or 7 episodes every 6 months and a Christmas special, that would be great.

And, though it's a long time between Christmas and next autumn I'm sure I'll cope with the wait - as long as I know it's definitely going to materialise.

And without mentioning the "entitlement" word that seems to provoke such a reaction here, I can't comment any further

You just have mentioned it. But I'm not going to say "easily pleased"......oops!:o
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As we all know circumstances were far from normal. Maybe you'd like them to have aired what little they'd completed of 7b back in 2012, but I preferred watching the completed episodes ;)

You are being facetious for the sake of it. I think you know what the poster was implyioing, you chose to twist it for the sake of a non-existant argument.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rooks wrote: »
    It's bound to be split. Remember that the BBC already have a fantasy drama on Saturday nights in the Autumn (previously Merlin, now Atlantis). Would they really run both at the same time? This is assuming that the Atlantis team, like the Merlin team are able to produce a series per year (and it's successful of course). So either Atlantis get's shifted to spring or we get just 6 episodes max in Autumn.

But worse is that in the entire 50th anniversary year we'll have gotten just two episodes, one of which is the normal Christmas one anyway (maybe a few at the year end of the 50th year if the autumn episodes are at the start of the autumn). Very disappointing and very poorly planned by the BBC. I don't mean to be negative but I'm finding it quite difficult to be excited about the future of the show right now. It feels like a show that's winding down :(

They could take Casualty off for 13 weeks next Autumn. There is no reason at all why both DW and Atlantis can't air in Autumn.

6.00 Doctor Who
    6.45 Strictly Come Dancing
    8.10 In It To Win It
    9.00 Atlantis
    9.45 live from The Apollo

BBC One has a new controller now. We have no idea of what she thinks or what she wants to do. She was keen to announce Capaldi in a live show though, so it's clear she's supportive of DW. I think there will be a straight run next year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You just have mentioned it. But I'm not going to say "easily pleased"......oops!:o

Drat!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    They could take Casualty off for 13 weeks next Autumn. There is no reason at all why both DW and Atlantis can't air in Autumn.

6.00 Doctor Who
    6.45 Strictly Come Dancing
    8.10 In It To Win It
    9.00 Atlantis
    9.45 live from The Apollo

Atlantis is being billed as a family fantasy drama, so it is unlikely to air in a post-watershed/post-9pm slot
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,055
    Forum Member
    The more I read about these bloody 'breaks' the more I believe Private Eye's version of events - that its down to poor production in the Doctor Who team (production 'chaos' according to Private Eye) and not the BBC's hierarchy deciding to reduce the number of episodes being made each year.

I will be so furious if we have to wait a year for season 8, and then get just five episodes in September 2014 - and then another six month gap with the other seven episodes from April 2015.
    Forum Member
    wizzywick wrote: »
    You are being facetious for the sake of it. I think you know what the poster was implyioing, you chose to twist it for the sake of a non-existant argument.

I don't appreciate the tone and accusation of your post. I twisted nothing and made a perfectly legitimate statement; circumstances WERE far from normal; Moffat and co have already held their hands up and admitted it, and explained the reasons for series 7s delayed production which meant the series only just finished filming in november 2012.
    Forum Member
    I twisted nothing and made a perfectly legitimate statement; circumstances WERE far from normal; Moffat and co have already held their hands up and admitted it, and explained the reasons for series 7s delayed production which meant the series only just finished filming in november 2012.

They split it because Matt Smith didn't want to do a fourth series but they wanted him to be the Doctor for the 50th Anniversary.

Thanks Matt!
  • Whovian1109Whovian1109 Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's the problem, many especially casual viewers and children won't wait that long. When Doctor Who does finally show it's new face again, people aren't going to be bothered.
    I have a feeling that the BBC and Moffat are going to regret these poor decisions. It will also make Capaldi's job that much harder to bring the viewers back. Plus, he can only do that if the scripts are any good. Will they be? Well, only time will tell.
    What many people don't seem to grasp is that this year, all we can expect is two, yes two new episodes. Seeing as the last lot were left overs. To me, it is a disgrace.
    We are waiting all this time for the 50th. Then another long wait until the Christmas Special. Then it's a ridiculous wait until the new series. If that's the best way to treat a supposed prosperous and successful show, then im Harry Potter.

I get the impression that surely because they're only casual viewers, they're not overly bothered about it anyway and therefore when it's on, they'll watch it and not be too bothered about waiting for it. In fact they probably don't even remember the last time they did watch it!
    Forum Member
    They split it because Matt Smith didn't want to do a fourth series but they wanted him to be the Doctor for the 50th Anniversary.

Thanks Matt!

Matt Smith wanted a career beyond Doctor Who and he is perfectly entitled to it! The way you put it, it's like you want him shackled to the TARDIS and forced to work against his wishes.

I don't blame Matt for wanting to move on to bigger and better things; his career before DW was quiet and unnoticed in comparison, and it seems he wanted to capture some of the opportunities that DW's greater exposure has given him.

Yes it's a difficult decision, but Matt is just another human with wants and needs like the rest of us.
    Forum Member
    Matt Smith wanted a career beyond Doctor Who and he is perfectly entitled to it! The way you put it, it's like you want him shackled to the TARDIS and forced to work against his wishes.

Quite the opposite in fact.

He should have done a full series last year then buggered off to Hollywood, giving us a full series of Capaldi this year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peter Capaldi would have already been involved with/signed up for other film & TV roles, so that would have been unlikely.
    Forum Member
    Peter Capaldi would have already been involved with/signed up for other film & TV roles, so that would have been unlikely.

Maybe, maybe not. Even so, as delighted as I am to have been wrong for thinking he wouldn't get the role, he's not the only person who could do it.

The point is, we lost an entire series to keep Matt Smith on board and no actor should ever be bigger than the show.
  • cy_bonescy_bones Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Autumn would be a better time for it to be shown than spring as the weather might draw in more viewers.

To be honest though I'm not really that bothered if they choose to run it for 12 weeks before Xmas and then have a special or run it for 6 weeks with a break and then pick it up in the new year.

Just keep it on Saturday nights and don't move it to 7:30 on a Monday!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe, maybe not.
    Seeing as he has been involved with filming for The Three Musketeers, I would have said that it would be a "maybe not".

The point is, we lost an entire series to keep Matt Smith on board and no actor should ever be bigger than the show.

I've said this before, and it also draws in the "E" word - there has never been any commitment to one series per year, or 13/14 episode per series. It's simply based upon what has been the norm (and norms are subject to change)
    Forum Member
    I've said this before, and it also draws in the "E" word - there has never been any commitment to one series per year, or 13/14 episode per series.

If there's anyone with a sense of Entitlement in this story it's Smith for neither going nor committing to another series but instead screwing the fans out a series so he could stick around for an extra year without having to do the work.

There would have been a series last year and this year if not for Smith's waffling, that's the point.