Free classic Uk comics in Guardian newspaper

2»

Comments

• tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    redbeefy wrote: »
    Aaah! KRAZY! My absolute favorite comic. I remember being gutted when they "merged" it with Whizzer and Chips. I remember the newsagent who reserved Krazy for me, just started reserving W+C instead, so i moved onto that, only for the Krazy strips, like "The Krazy Gang".

Funny how the comics merged all the time, like a knockout competition . I loved Monster Fun , which merged with Buster. Krazy merged with W+C. Cheeky Weekly merged with Whoopee. I think then "in the semi-final" , W+C merged with Whoopee. until there was only Buster and Whoopee left from that stable. (I am not counting Dandy and Buster and the girly or football ones). Am I remembering this right?
    Also, the suspicious "new" comics, like the brilliant "School Fun" which only lasted about six months before merging, and so seemed to only exist as a way of trying out new material for the big names.
    Nope, they were heavily promoted as a rule but simply didn't catch on. 'Merging' them with surviving comics was just a way of retaining some of the readers of the failed titles who would hopefully follow whichever strips moved across to their new homes. And Whoopee was cancelled in 1985 and merged with Whizzer & Chips, which in turn joined the pages of Buster in 1990. Also, Dandy was not 'from that stable'; Buster and the rest were IPC titles, Dandy is of course published by DC Thomson.
  • Know Your NurksKnow Your Nurks Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Comics that went into Buster essentially came from 3 trees:

Those that merged into Whoopee (Shiver & Shake, Cheeky & Wow)

Those that merged into Whizzer & Chips (Knockout, Krazy & Whoopee)

And those that went into Buster (Film Fun, Radio Fun, The Big One, Giggle, Cor!!, Jet, Monster Fun, Jackpot, School Fun, Oink!, Nipper and Whizzer & Chips).

When you line them up like that it's perhaps surprising more comics didn't go into W&C & Whoopee.
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    View it all here.
    http://www.comicsuk.co.uk/FamilyTree/FamilyTreeChartWhole.asp?BView=Tree&SelectTitleBox=Buster

Dandy by the way has had two mergers - Nutty in 1985, and Hoot in 1986. The current name of Dandy Xtreme (2007) was just a rebrand. Beano has only unofficially merged with one comic - Magic, in 1941 (only the annuals ever carried the Magic name or strips). Beezer and Topper had a couple of mergers each before merging with each other, and when they closed in 1993, their strips either disappeared or were randomly placed in Beano and Dandy - they didn't officially merge with either.
    http://www.comicsuk.co.uk/FamilyTree/FamilyTreeChartWhole.asp?BView=Tree&SelectTitleBox=Beezer