Musty smelling bedroom ?

2»

Comments

• Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    dean wells wrote: »
    I have the window shut when im sleeping as I dont want spiders/insects coming in
    They are already in your room ...
    I do I have the window open all day long
    The FBI wrote: »
    That will sting
    :D:D
  • gmphmacgmphmac Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect you have a patch of mold somewhere. Do you have your bed or other furniture against an exterior wall?

It's best to try and rule out mold and damp, as both can cause some serious health problems over time.
  • Sethos DoukasSethos Doukas Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    What could be the cause of this I air the room out everyday,I have tried air fresheners they seem to make it smell nicer temporary .The smell returns to musty crap again .I have the window shut when im sleeping as I dont want spiders/insects coming in,also the noise outside with cars ,neighbours etc.Also anyways to prevent dust buildup?

Have you been master baiting into socks again and leaving them to fester.:D
  • alienpandaalienpanda Posts: 9,444
    Forum Member
    use a dehumidifier

they are quite cheap, and do the trick and you will be surprised how much water they collect.

http://www.dry-it-out.com/dehumidifiers?gclid=CJfi3IDAuq4CFUEMfAodSUxlfQ
  • tara27tara27 Posts: 2,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The FBI wrote: »
    That will sting

True. But it kills infections (if there are any) and leaves the skin smoothe and soft .:)

Good point on the mouse smell. I can tell if the little sh!ts have been in our loft as soon as I open the door......a sort of sour but musty smell.
  • dean wellsdean wells Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dehumidifier or Air purifier ? which is best,wont a dehumidifier just take away the humidity from the room? I that case then purifier will remove all smells perhaps .
  • dean wellsdean wells Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you been master baiting into socks again and leaving them to fester.:D

No i dont masterbate into socks and leave them to rot is that a fetish of yours ,and then do you drink the contents a year later :eek:
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds like you have a bit of damp. The damp in my room was quite bad and the room smelt musty and wet, so I got a new carpet, repainted and bought a dehumidifer. It is like a different room now, it's great. You can get those windowsill dehumidifier things in the pound shop but they arent much good compared to a proper electric one. The windowsill one will collect maybe 500mls in a month. The dehumidifer collects 2 litres of water a day in my room.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another possible source: a radiator pipe that has been knocked too hard with a vacuum cleaner and consequently has a slow leak at the rad joint. The leak wets the carpet and the underlay; the nearby source of heat dries the wetness at the surface but the underlay festers.

Yes dear reader, it happened to me.
  • Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fizzle90 wrote: »
    Have the window open all day, use a plug in air freshener, make sure you wash your bed sheets regularly and Hoover regularly. Polish and clean on a regular basis.

Never use a plug-in air freshener they are house fires waiting to happen.

Leave the windows open all day, use febreeze and, hoover and change your bed covers more frequently. Also as others have suggested consider a de-humidifier.
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What could be the cause of this I air the room out everyday,I have tried air fresheners they seem to make it smell nicer temporary .The smell returns to musty crap again .I have the window shut when im sleeping as I dont want spiders/insects coming in,also the noise outside with cars ,neighbours etc.Also anyways to prevent dust buildup?
    Are there any old clothes lying around? Items you might have put away instead of washing?
  • Joanne yyJoanne yy Posts: 2,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How often do you change your pillows ? I find they get very musty (especially if they are filled with down/feathers) and absorb all sorts of smells. These should be cleaned and changed regularly
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    fizzle90 wrote: »
    Have the window open all day, use a plug in air freshener, make sure you wash your bed sheets regularly and Hoover regularly. Polish and clean on a regular basis.

Polish and air freshener are awfully bad for you. The chemicals in it cause all kinds of problems from cancer and breathing disorders to foetal abnormalities.

Use a potted lavender plant or a bouquet of herbs instead.
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    Polish and air freshener are awfully bad for you. The chemicals in it cause all kinds of problems from cancer and breathing disorders to foetal abnormalities.

Use a potted lavender plant or a bouquet of herbs instead.

Rarely do they cause problems. It's not an everyday occurrence.
  • OleSmokeyOleSmokey Posts: 172
    Forum Member
    Why don't you just cut your balls off?

By the sound of it, you'll never get to use them anyway! :rolleyes:
  • warleywitchwarleywitch Posts: 2,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It could be dampness in your clothes,curtanins , carpets. I know our bedroom smelled a bit once. I got one of those de-humidifiers and the problem was solved.
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    drains, paint that smells, damp, farts?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try taking the pillows and duvet off the bed every day to air them out, preferably in an airing cupboard.
  • Anne DroydAnne Droyd Posts: 1,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Open your flippin windows and dont be such a scardy cat
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    Did you get rid of the smell?

Seems to me you probably need to give your duvet and pillows a really good wash. It's amazing how many folks don't think to wash their duvets and pillows. In fact, it might be a good time to invest in some new washable bedding if they're really old and have literally turned into bags of dust!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These tropical conditions have a lot to answer for :rolleyes: