Sperm should be Marital Asset

Comments

• TagletTaglet Posts: 20,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the relationship is such that either party needs to control the other using legislation then it isnt a relationship worth pursuing.
  • big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    I think if you're married, sperm donation should be a joint decision or not done.

Same as if this woman decided to be a surrogate mother for someone else - it should be a joint decision or not at all.

Of course his body is his own, as his hers - so no legal sanction should ensue. But, when done without consent I think it is unreasonable behaviour and should be grounds for divorce.

Yea! I'm in a minority!
    :)

I personally disagree. You do of course have the right to your own opinion and nobody can change it to you, but I am genuinely intrigued; can I ask why?
    Taglet wrote: »
    If the relationship is such that either party needs to control the other using legislation then it isnt a relationship worth pursuing.

I agree with this. They disagree to the extent that she is essentially taking legal action against her own husband, hardly the sign of a happy marriage.
  • OnDatKryptoniteOnDatKryptonite Posts: 1,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think if you're married, sperm donation should be a joint decision or not done.

Same as if this woman decided to be a surrogate mother for someone else - it should be a joint decision or not at all.

Of course his body is his own, as his hers - so no legal sanction should ensue. But, when done without consent I think it is unreasonable behaviour and should be grounds for divorce.

Yea! I'm in a minority!
    :)

My balls, my sperm, my biological business. How this is even up for debate is amazing. If I put my money away in my bank account for a rainy day, as far as I am concerned that's my income I've earned for my savings and my purposes. If you want to divorce me for protecting some of my squiddly diddlies in a private frozen facility, I'd be quite happy to divorce your overly entitled borderline crazy butt. I won't even ask for an ovary in the settlement.
  • droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    big dan wrote: »
    I personally disagree. You do of course have the right to your own opinion and nobody can change it to you, but I am genuinely intrigued; can I ask why?

/snip/

Well I think many things that are perfectly fine when single should not be done in marriage without your partner's consent.
    Running up huge debts, booking a personal holiday to Las Vegas, visiting a prostitute.

There shouldn't be laws preventing partners taking actions unreasonable to their partners - but I think it is reasonable for divorce petitions to ensue.

It will be different for different partners of course and can work both ways. Say one partner has a known phobia of tattoos yet the other insists on getting one. In that case I think it could be reasonable for either side to sue for divorce.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 302
    Forum Member
    proviso wrote: »
    You seem to have reduced the abortion debate to a property argument.

If people choose to have sex and create a living being the rights and wrongs of what happens to that living being fall to be determined according to different principles than 'who owns the genetic material'.

No I'm just pointing out it isn't really considered a slippery slope if it leads to something less severe occurring as a result. Slippery slope typically means something leading to ever more significant and perhaps undesirable effects (i.e. going downwards), whereas this is talking about one particularly extreme and clearly erroneous proposal leading to something less extreme (something higher up the slope). A slippery slope would be the man being able to control an abortion possibly leading to the woman being able to control his sperm.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I think many things that are perfectly fine when single should not be done in marriage without your partner's consent.
    Running up huge debts, booking a personal holiday to Las Vegas, visiting a prostitute.

There shouldn't be laws preventing partners taking actions unreasonable to their partners - but I think it is reasonable for divorce petitions to ensue.

It will be different for different partners of course and can work both ways. Say one partner has a known phobia of tattoos yet the other insists on getting one. In that case I think it could be reasonable for either side to sue for divorce.

So irrational fears should prevent individual rights in your view? Wow.
  • Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's not how I read what droogie said.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiffy78 wrote: »
    That's not how I read what droogie said.

Last I checked tattoos posed no threat to anyone except the person who has them and then it's an issue brought on by unhygienic standards or tools. If someone chooses to get body art, that's their right as an individual with their own right to decide regarding their body. If you are going to divorce someone over something like that. I'd be surprised if you could find anyone to marry you in the first place if the idea of sharing and compromise in a relationship is so foreign and the constraints within it so strict.
  • Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last I checked tattoos posed no threat to anyone except the person who has them and then it's an issue brought on by unhygienic standards or tools. If someone chooses to get body art, that's their right as an individual with their own right to decide regarding their body. If you are going to divorce someone over something like that. I'd be surprised if you could find anyone to marry you in the first place if the idea of sharing and compromise in a relationship is so foreign and the constraints within it so strict.

Nobody argued with that and I agree that someone who'd divorce over a tattoo is probably a bit messed up but if they want to divorce they should be allowed to.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

... you mean in a marriage?

Well, there's a continuum here.

If my partner has some extreme form of OCD there's a balance to be struck between compromise and making your own life impossible.

But how hard can it be to discuss sperm donation with your partner and try to reach some compromise? And if the wife felt as this lady did and explained that, then going ahead anyway is just asking for trouble in my view.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ... you mean in a marriage?

Well, there's a continuum here.

If my partner has some extreme form of OCD there's a balance to be struck between compromise and making your own life impossible.

But how hard can it be to discuss sperm donation with your partner and try to reach some compromise? And if the wife felt as this lady did and explained that, then going ahead anyway is just asking for trouble in my view.

It is a maritial problem, not a 'rights' issue. If you find you're married to someone who behaves in a way that you can't cope with, then you learn to work through it or divorce. It's not for the law to deal with and figure out who sperm belongs to.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Odd Socks wrote: »
    It is a maritial problem, not a 'rights' issue. If you find you're married to someone who behaves in a way that you can't cope with, then you learn to work through it or divorce. It's not for the law to deal with and figure out who sperm belongs to.

I agree. She is angry at the law when she should be angry with him.

I think she has every right to be angry with him for doing this without telling her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh yes I agree with that.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Wife is concerned about the psychological affect potential children fathered by her husband through sperm donation, will have on the family.

His donation may produce as many as 20 children
    She claims, in marriage, the husband's sperm should be considered 'marital asset'.

In a letter to the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority, she calls for wives' consent to be mandatory

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2193780/Wife-man-secretly-donated-sperm-calls-spouses-consent-mandatory.html#ixzz24f6k9pOf

What are peoples opinions of this. I think it is the mans sperm and his to do with what he pleases.

An interesting debate none the less

I don't agree with her, any more than I agree with a guy trying to control his wife's right to terminate her pregnancy.

Some things remain individual choice.
  • jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    No I'm just pointing out it isn't really considered a slippery slope if it leads to something less severe occurring as a result. Slippery slope typically means something leading to ever more significant and perhaps undesirable effects (i.e. going downwards), whereas this is talking about one particularly extreme and clearly erroneous proposal leading to something less extreme (something higher up the slope). A slippery slope would be the man being able to control an abortion possibly leading to the woman being able to control his sperm.

I don't think the relative harm is relevant here - the 'slippery slope' is that one harmful act that may lead to another harmful act - which could be more or less harmful than it's precedent.

You could argue that giving a wife control over her husband's sperm is a slippery slope to allowing him to have control over her right to an abortion, or vice versa... both might cause a slippery slope to the other.

And of course what you perceive to be the greater harm may not be a view shared by others. Some people like yourself think that being able to control the fate of a man's sperm as more harmful than a man controlling whether or not a woman can bear or abort a child, but I am pretty sure there are people who will disagree with you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 302
    Forum Member
    jesaya wrote: »
    I don't think the relative harm is relevant here - the 'slippery slope' is that one harmful act that may lead to another harmful act - which could be more or less harmful than it's precedent.

You could argue that giving a wife control over her husband's sperm is a slippery slope to allowing him to have control over her right to an abortion, or vice versa... both might cause a slippery slope to the other.

And of course what you perceive to be the greater harm may not be a view shared by others. Some people like yourself think that being able to control the fate of a man's sperm as more harmful than a man controlling whether or not a woman can bear or abort a child, but I am pretty sure there are people who will disagree with you.

A man clearly has more rights and responsibilities regarding his own offspring than over a woman's eggs, this simply cannot be disputed. It's debatable at what point this rights come into force but numerous laws and simple common sense tell us he has more stake in one than the other AND babies have rights too, therefore there are multiple reasons why a pregnancy is totally different to unfertilised material belonging to one person. The slippery slope can only go downhill, the hill in this sense being an individual's rights and autonomy. As soon as conception takes place you clearly have more than one party involved and you can't have a slippery slope to something which is more defensible and logical.
    Forum Member
    A man clearly has more rights and responsibilities regarding his own offspring than over a woman's eggs, this simply cannot be disputed. It's debatable at what point this rights come into force but numerous laws and simple common sense tell us he has more stake in one than the other AND babies have rights too, therefore there are multiple reasons why a pregnancy is totally different to unfertilised material belonging to one person. The slippery slope can only go downhill, the hill in this sense being an individual's rights and autonomy. As soon as conception takes place you clearly have more than one party involved and you can't have a slippery slope to something which is more defensible and logical.

Yes you can actually, you can have a slippery slope between any two positions. I appreciate you don't think that is the case but I am afraid it is true nevertheless.

As for your position regarding a woman's right to control what happens to her body being less important than a man's right to control what happens to his sperm, well I can't be bothered to discuss such complete nonsense.
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jesaya wrote: »
    Yes you can actually, you can have a slippery slope between any two positions. I appreciate you don't think that is the case but I am afraid it is true nevertheless.

As for your position regarding a woman's right to control what happens to her body being less important than a man's right to control what happens to his sperm, well I can't be bothered to discuss such complete nonsense.

I think that FM wasn't talking about a woman's right to control her body, but a man's right to a say in the life of his unborn child.
    Forum Member
    pugamo wrote: »
    I think that FM wasn't talking about a woman's right to control her body, but a man's right to a say in the life of his unborn child.

Which is in her body. If he has the right to do whatever he likes with his body (which I agree with) then she has the same right.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If had any sperm, I wouldn't marry anyone who thought she was getting part-ownership of it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Basically, he's having children with other women, so yeah that is an issue for a married man.
    It isn't comparable to a woman having abortions, it's comparable to the wife having babies to another man. Or her donating loads of eggs. The ensuing people born are the biological children of the donors and are on the real family tree.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fizgig wrote: »
    Basically, he's having children with other women, so yeah that is an issue for a married man.
    It isn't comparable to a woman having abortions, it's comparable to the wife having babies to another man. Or her donating loads of eggs. The ensuing people born are the biological children of the donors and are on the real family tree.

He's not sleeping with other women.

Though that's inconsequential. He's been an inconsiderate git, he needs his arse kicked but the law doesn't need changing.
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    Fizgig wrote: »

It is comparable to her donating eggs.

It is not comparable to her having babies to another man.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's not sleeping with other women.

Though that's inconsequential. He's been an inconsiderate git, he needs his arse kicked but the law doesn't need changing.

I agree on the law thing. But he isn't donating his sperm for wallpaper paste, I'm guessing it's for impregnating other women & sowing his dna far & wide.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    It is comparable to her donating eggs.

It is not comparable to her having babies to another man.

Both ways she would be having babies to another man.