Options

For how long is the world going to give money to provide clean water in Africa?

Comments

• Options
    Julie68Julie68 Posts: 3,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I refuse to give any money to these charities.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TYCO wrote: »
    Not that I'm saying they don't deserve it...

I'm just genuinely confused as to how all these charities guilt tripping us since what the 1960's? Haven't managed to provide clean water to everyone in Africa yet? We're talking 50 years, and not just our country, every developed nation in the world gives some form of charity aid to Africa I'll bet.

So clearly the money you give isn't going there.

I heard years ago all the money goes on guns and not water.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm just genuinely confused as to how all these charities guilt tripping us since what the 1960's? Haven't managed to provide clean water to everyone in Africa yet? We're talking 50 years, and not just our country, every developed nation in the world gives some form of charity aid to Africa I'll bet.

Whatever their aims, educating the ignorant clearly isn't amongst them.
  • Options
    EmmasmytheEmmasmythe Posts: 530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is a very simple problem to solve, someone is stopping it being solved

i give to water aid because it *seems* to be a non corrupt org

Every single charity should be forced to publish full and transparent accounts yearly and proof of their *results*

Its the dodgy money grabbing ones that ruin it for the decent ones
  • Options
    JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    Glowbot wrote: »
    Probably forever and it will only get worse. It's clearly not an area that can sustain a large population, throwing money at it isn't going to make it rain and the people stop breeding.
    I wouldn't worry too much about us poor old brits throwing money at Africa, the british and US water companies will be ripping them off for years and turning in a healthy profit.

Yet another 3rd world resource being exploited by the wealthy nations.
  • Options
    Forum Member

And every developed nation in the world is acutely aware of the massive underground water resource that Africa sits on.
    Is it just me that views water as a basic human right, the same as air?
    The big wealthy companies don't seem to, water to them is just another resource to be exploited and turned into profit, whilst every african who wants to drink their own water, will have to pay for it or go thirsty.

So, I think, you should stop whinging about the pennies we nobly throw in the pot called africa and take a long hard look at the exploitation of that continent.

Thats' just my opinion tho.
  • Options
    Erica CartmanErica Cartman Posts: 1,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a lot of truth to this. I have never been to these countries in need but have heard a few people who have travelled there say they constantly have their hands out expecting something for free from the white man. They must be encouraged to solve their own problems, with some well guided help.

Yes, because it's not like the 'white man' has any responsibility for why they are in this mess :yawn:
  • Options
    NatgarNatgar Posts: 2,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd rather the money went on contraception but that's another whole can of worms...

Yes, contraception for the first world countries where the population keeps growing and being more and more greedy causing resources from africa e.g oil. diamonds. gold etc.. to be mined and destroying and polluting africa.
  • Options
    Michelle_ClarkeMichelle_Clarke Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a lot of truth to this. I have never been to these countries in need but have heard a few people who have travelled there say they constantly have their hands out expecting something for free from the white man. They must be encouraged to solve their own problems, with some well guided help.

They can't help themselves as there is no money in the country and what is there has been snapped up by the rich getting richer. It really is typical of the poor getting poorer. The problem is their own "rich" residents are doing nothing to help the country out that they have built their wealth on, until they are made to it will be ongoing.
  • Options
    thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glowbot wrote: »
    They don't seem to be very good at it, not having a go but it seems to be gap year students doing it for them.

Actually gap year students are putting well diggers and other builders etc out of business in some areas. After all, they're free labour and even pay for their own keep. Why would you pay someone to do it in those circumstances?

Worse thing is they are obviously unskilled, doing very poor jobs in some cases. It's just a smug exercise in do-gooding in most cases...
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As long as the average punter keeps putting their hand in pocket to pay for 6 figure salaries for these charities CEO's.

I never give to these type of charities,I only support volunteer charities where ALL donations go towards their objective.

Really? The majority of charities HAVE to employ staff to organise projects, administer finances, pay staff and premises costs, advertise, etc. No charity can be run without expenditure being incurred
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They can't help themselves as there is no money in the country and what is there has been snapped up by the rich getting richer. It really is typical of the poor getting poorer. The problem is their own "rich" residents are doing nothing to help the country out that they have built their wealth on, until they are made to it will be ongoing.

^ This sounds like the UK.
  • Options
    Michelle_ClarkeMichelle_Clarke Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chocdoc wrote: »
    ^ This sounds like the UK.

It sound's like a lot of countries. Difference is we are giving welfare to our own and the rest of Europe who decamp here and still finding funds for Africa yet its own residents aren't?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The UK should be helping people in their own country first before helping poor countries. Couldnt the USA at least soften the burden.
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emmasmythe wrote: »
    This is a very simple problem to solve, someone is stopping it being solved

i give to water aid because it *seems* to be a non corrupt org

Every single charity should be forced to publish full and transparent accounts yearly and proof of their *results*

Its the dodgy money grabbing ones that ruin it for the decent ones

They are.
    But the anti-giving wingers just can't be arsed to look it up. Its more comforting to repeat the lies.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The UK should be helping people in their own country first before helping poor countries. Couldnt the USA at least soften the burden.

They already do so, but i wonder how much wealthy Middle eastern and Asian countries provide, it always seems to be the West's responsibility even though most of them hate us.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    developed/undeveloped countries could help eachother.

I have cut and pasted some of this from children drinking dirty water thread
    We have far to much water, Africa have a serious need for it.
    We buy piped gas from the old USSR to the UK. So why can't we lay pipes under the sea to transport some of the water we don't need here places like north Africa.
    I am aware that in africa there is water below the surface which can be raised by digging wells but as someone pointed out this is expensive, the wells can be polluted, and my suggestion would help the people of Britain at the same time as helping Africa. We desperately need to get rid of water in Northern Europe this water could be used for crops leaving the wells for drinking water only.

If we were to also buils a network of Pipes for moving sewage too we could get rid of sewage in the same way. The African countries need to improve the fertility and irrigation of their soil so they can grow their own food. I believe it would be quite advantageous for both Britain and Africa if we could pump our sewage to africa for treatment and use in their agricultural and horticultural improvement. To us sewage is a waste product, we (Europe/Britain) could give this waste to African countries and enable them to grow their own food, fodder and even grow fruit, veg, and other crops for export.

If Euro/brit countries were to do this Africa could become much more self-supporting and wouldn't then need so much charitable support.

It would take time to buils this system so I suggest we use
    tankers to start this processing as soon as possible, sewage treatment plants could be built by european countries in africa.
    People say "Why should we help Africa?" I say help them in the right way and everyone would gain. If we just give Africa food and water and they will for ever be dependant. Make them prosper, by creating a system that recycles our waste product (sewage) and makes it possible for north Africa to become a food producer nation. everyone would gain.

Africa seems a long way away but really it isn't as i said we bring Gas from Russia so why not send water and sewage to africa. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member

Sigh.
  • Options
    Forum Member

We buy piped gas from the old USSR to the UK. So why can't we lay pipes under the sea to transport some of the water we don't need here places like north Africa.
    I am aware that in africa there is water below the surface which can be raised by digging wells but as someone pointed out this is expensive, the wells can be polluted, and my suggestion would help the people of Britain at the same time as helping Africa. We desperately need to get rid of water in Northern Europe this water could be used for crops leaving the wells for drinking water only.

If we were to also buils a network of Pipes for moving sewage too we could get rid of sewage in the same way. The African countries need to improve the fertility and irrigation of their soil so they can grow their own food. I believe it would be quite advantageous for both Britain and Africa if we could pump our sewage to africa for treatment and use in their agricultural and horticultural improvement. To us sewage is a waste product, we (Europe/Britain) could give this waste to African countries and enable them to grow their own food, fodder and even grow fruit, veg, and other crops for export.

If Euro/brit countries were to do this Africa could become much more self-supporting and wouldn't then need so much charitable support.

tankers to start this processing as soon as possible, sewage treatment plants could be built by european countries in africa.
    People say "Why should we help Africa?" I say help them in the right way and everyone would gain. If we just give Africa food and water and they will for ever be dependant. Make them prosper, by creating a system that recycles our waste product (sewage) and makes it possible for north Africa to become a food producer nation. everyone would gain.

Africa seems a long way away but really it isn't as i said we bring Gas from Russia so why not send water and sewage to africa. :)
    Africa sits on huge resouces of water, all the developed nations are battling to get their hands on it.

Then they can exploit yet another resource and sell it back to poor Aficans, and make huge profits in the process.
  • Options
    spaniel-loverspaniel-lover Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Africa needs to take care of itself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Africa needs to take care of itself.
    Yes, after all it's taken care of us for so long.
  • Options
    Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member

Well working in the mining industry, do you understand the logistics involved? It would probably take half the Gas imported from Russia to pump that water from the UK to Africa.

Sounds like some stupid copy paste facebook status.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    .....:)
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theres a lot of ignorance around ....... and we have years of free education, too.:o