Options

Muslim couple sue school who banned their nine-year-old daughter from wearing a hijab

Comments

• Options
    Ada RabbleAda Rabble Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I the only person who finds it incredibly sinister that these parents have pretty much declared their daughter to be a target for adult male teachers, who may look upon their daughter's uncovered head with lust in their hearts ? Have they told her the reason she has to cover up ? Indeed, I wonder if they have explained why all the other girls don't.

She's NINE, for God's sake. :mad:

They might have informed her that those that don't are sluts, in a round about way
  • Options
    Michelle_ClarkeMichelle_Clarke Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure if the school was told that they had to adopt Church of England practices in order to remain here they would be the first to complain. They've taken in a Muslim student and they have the policy of respecting her religious beliefs and practices, why then complain when the student turns out to be a Muslim?

You do have a point but the other side of that coin is were the parents aware that she would not be able to wear a headscarf, how long has she been at the school without one and why is it only a problem now?

I still don't understand the need to sue. They should just move her to another school if unhappy.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    QofSheba wrote: »
    They have to take a percentage of 'other faith' by law.

Other schools don't seem to have a problem though.

""The Jewish school where half the pupils are Muslim""
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/the-jewish-school-where-half-the-pupils-are-muslim-434481.html
    ""Birmingham's Catholic school where 90% of the pupils are Muslim""
    http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/local-news/birminghams-catholic-school-where-90-of-the-pupils-231115

That's great to read, and no surprise either, as in my opinion, the West Midlands has the best inter ethnic and inter faith relations in the country. That was my experience from working there, anyway.

Not sure why that is. Maybe because everybody looks upon everybody else as an individual and not part of a separate group.

Very inclusive region. No doubt about it.
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member
    Lizzy11268 wrote: »
    Tough titty. Send their child to a school that allows the wearing of a hijab if they are that bothered. Don't enrol them in a school that has a policy against it.

Or go and live in a country where the wearing of a hijab is standard and acceptable in general.

Ditto.:mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I still don't understand the need to sue. They should just move her to another school if unhappy.

Wonder what would happen if we all took that defeatist attitude everytime we thought others were breaking the Law.
  • Options
    Michelle_ClarkeMichelle_Clarke Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder what would happen if we all took that defeatist attitude everytime we thought others were breaking the Law.

I don't think the school is breaking the law. While i believe and support peoples right to practice their religions and customs I don't believe sueing the school is the right thing to do in this case. It's a bit bloody minded for my liking why not put her in a school where she and her religious beliefs will be not only tolerated but welcomed.
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/the-jewish-school-where-half-the-pupils-are-muslim-434481.html
    http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/local-news/birminghams-catholic-school-where-90-of-the-pupils-231115

Must be different rules here in Scotland. There is no such law here.
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    Call me old fashioned but if I was either the parents or the school managers I would place the child's uninterrupted education way more important than what she has on her head.
  • Options
    bossoftheworldbossoftheworld Posts: 4,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard46 wrote: »
    Call me old fashioned but if I was either the parents or the school managers I would place the child's uninterrupted education way more important than what she has on her head.

Yep and I wouldn't make her stand out so much either - imagine being that age and realising that you are trying to 'make a point' and earn money for your parents.

That's what it amounts to.

Poor little girl.
  • Options
    deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me wrote:
    At current immigration levels, White British will no longer be a majority in the year 2066. I have no objection to that, apart from population growth and the fact that, that will not be the case in the countries of origin of the migrants. If you want a diverse world it needs to be equal.
    You could always emigrate and make that a reality
    Ok not sure what I've done to you, but I apologise whole heartidly. I never meant to offend you or any other poster.

Itsjustmyopinion did you take that as a joke or not?

In answer to your question, no I was not offended, to quote Mrs Thatcher: :)
    I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left.
    Read more at http://www.ranker.com/list/a-list-of-famous-margaret-thatcher-quotes/reference#BESl9RSszxYGKsAV.99

It not that original though, many posters have used that one before.

There have been times when I have walked down a busy street where I live and I am the only white person, or every one is speaking foreign languages I don't understand, or dressed in clothes that twenty years a go I had only ever seen on television, that I feel I have emigrated and am living in a foreign country.
    If you did I'm sorry to you too. No offence meant, was just playing on your words and making a joke out of it. I thought the smiley would have indicated that?

First day on the forum. Wish I hadn't bothered now, if this is how certain posters react to a throw away comment intended as a laugh.

Do not think like that, keep on posting. You may need a thick skin though, especially in politics.

As for smilies, I am never really sure when :p should be used. :) is smile and :D laugh.
  • Options
    IphigeniaIphigenia Posts: 8,109
    Forum Member
    Puberty at 9?
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    workhorse wrote: »
    uniform means what it says,simple.

Exactly. The clue is in the name. Rocket science is a non-requirement.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As for smilies, I am never really sure when :p should be used. :) is smile and :D laugh.

If you hover/put your mouse over a smiley, it'll tell you what it is.

:p = stick out tongue. As in "nyah, nyah" or "so there!"
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    workhorse wrote: »
    i thought there was a big clamp down on free legal aid.i wonder how they managed it if your correct.
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    How on earth is this silly case being paid for by legal aid - I thought the budget for that was being cut even for really genuine cases.

There is no way you can take a case to the high court without legal aid or a shed load of money
  • Options
    Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Hi Queen,

I think the 'rule's around schools intakes are often rather cloudy but schools are not obliged to take other faith children if the children applying fill their criteria. If the families applying to your school are let's say 95% Catholic then the remaining 5% of places can go to children of other faiths. If the schools have 100% Catholic children then there are no remaining places unless one comes available later with no other children on the list with a higher criteria.

What did change was that a number of years ago faith schools did not have to fill their intake with other faith children and only had to take a certain percentage, which was quite small, that stopped and places had to be filled and you could not pick or choose.if you had vacant places.
    Voynich wrote: »
    Must be different rules here in Scotland. There is no such law here.

As above Voynich and you cannot say that other faith children cannot go to a faith school if the places have not been filled using the schools criteria. As far as I am aware it is against the law if they do not allow other faith (or non faith) children to attend if they have vacant places.
  • Options
    Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    Am I the only person who finds it incredibly sinister that these parents have pretty much declared their daughter to be a target for adult male teachers, who may look upon their daughter's uncovered head with lust in their hearts ? Have they told her the reason she has to cover up ? Indeed, I wonder if they have explained why all the other girls don't.

She's NINE, for God's sake. :mad:

When I dress my 10 year old daughter in such a way that she is not displaying body parts that my British culture deems taboo and explicit, am I declaring her a target?
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    Ok not sure what I've done to you, but I apologise whole heartidly. I never meant to offend you or any other poster.

Itsjustmyopinion did you take that as a joke or not?

If you did I'm sorry to you too. No offence meant, was just playing on your words and making a joke out of it. I thought the smiley would have indicated that?

First day on the forum. Wish I hadn't bothered now, if this is how certain posters react to a throw away comment intended as a laugh.

I thought it was the funniest post of the day as well as being perceptive. The objections to it would suggest it was quite effective as well.
  • Options
    Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    You do have a point but the other side of that coin is were the parents aware that she would not be able to wear a headscarf, how long has she been at the school without one and why is it only a problem now?
    Even if they were told, that would simply indicate that the school had contradicted their own policy of respecting the religious practices of their pupils. Why say you'll respect them, then when a Muslim turns up say you won't?
    If they believe the school has done wrong then it is entirely right that they challenge it. I think the school needs to decide whether it is multicultural or not. If it isn't then it needs to be absolutely clear about that and not promise that it will do something which it later reneges on.
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrs Teapot wrote: »
    Hi Queen,

I think the 'rule's around schools intakes are often rather cloudy but schools are not obliged to take other faith children if the children applying fill their criteria. If the families applying to your school are let's say 95% Catholic then the remaining 5% of places can go to children of other faiths. If the schools have 100% Catholic children then there are no remaining places unless one comes available later with no other children on the list with a higher criteria.

What did change was that a number of years ago faith schools did not have to fill their intake with other faith children and only had to take a certain percentage, which was quite small, that stopped and places had to be filled and you could not pick or choose.if you had vacant places.

As above Voynich and you cannot say that other faith children cannot go to a faith school if the places have not been filled using the schools criteria. As far as I am aware it is against the law if they do not allow other faith (or non faith) children to attend if they have vacant places.

Ah cheers! Ways around the vacant places rule of course what with the Scottish Government actively encouraging smaller class sizes in schools! Plus good schools are usually over subscribed rather than under these days anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Voynich wrote: »
    Ah cheers! Ways around the vacant places rule of course what with the Scottish Government actively encouraging smaller class sizes in schools! Plus good schools are usually over subscribed rather than under these days anyway.

Our class has just gone up to 31 due to the new rules regarding twins! Same here with the over subscribed Voynich which is why the schools have to be really on the ball with the criteria making sure all the relevant documents and proof is provided. Any mistakes and they could be taken to the cleaners.

On the scarf issue to add the thread not to yourself personally, I do wonder if when the parents agreed to the uniform they may have not expected their daughter to begin to reach puberty so early, this seems to be happening to a lot of young girls now. It was just a thought.
  • Options
    Ada RabbleAda Rabble Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a good point Mrs Teapot. She would of course still be in primary school and there would be another 2 year max until she goes to Secondary school. I still think the parents have been rash and arrogant in proceeding to sue the school
  • Options
    GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrs Teapot wrote: »
    Our class has just gone up to 31 due to the new rules regarding twins!

What is the rule regarding twins? Curious.
  • Options
    PrinceOfDenmarkPrinceOfDenmark Posts: 2,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glowbot wrote: »

There has to be two of them
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ada Rabble wrote: »
    That's a good point Mrs Teapot. She would of course still be in primary school and there would be another 2 year max until she goes to Secondary school. I still think the parents have been rash and arrogant in proceeding to sue the school

Lots of parents don't expect their child to reach puberty so young but it is happening such a lot now, I would imagine that if that is the case they have their child in their heart and also their religion and belief so a mixture of emotions.

I agree with being rash about it Ada but in the same breath a lot of junior children wear a hijab and it's not a problem to us at all, we don't like the younger ones as there is so much play based stuff but it's never a problem in older classes.
    Glowbot wrote: »

I don't know word for word Glow but if there is one place left and twins fit the criteria then we have to allow both. Imagine one child leaves and there is a vacant place in a class of 29, the twins would be allowed and then you are up to 31. Normally in our classes in Key Stage 2 the classes would only be 30.

I hope that is fairly clear as it is relatively new to us too.
  • Options
    workhorseworkhorse Posts: 2,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone else think parents announcing to the world by way of this head dress that their daughter has started there period is sick?