What Do Artists Do All Day? BBC4 8pm

planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
Forum Member
Anyone else watching this it's fascinating and his work is beautiful.

eta it's about Norman Ackroyd, landscape artist

Comments

• planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    oh well just me then :D
  • sleepasleepa Posts: 677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will miss these fascinating unexpected little gems when they are inevitably lost through viewing figures. Thanks for your post btw, made me stick with it through the first few mins until it enchanted me.
    Forum Member
    i'm really pleased you enjoyed it (once it moved on from the porridge!); enchanted is an excellent description, i could have watched for much longer, and when he said it needed "more bite" i so wanted to follow the entire process.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last night, I watched this repeat of a programme shown a couple of weeks ago.
    It's the second documentary I've seen on Jack Vettriano.

Not favoured by the art establishment, in much the same way, was neither Norman Rockwell, whose work is loved by millions, who produced the covers of the "Saturday Evening Post" for decades, using a similar process.

For me it's the end result that matters, what's the difference between using a model and painting from photographs?

There are opinions that some celebrated artists in centuries gone by have taken advantage of images produced by a camera obscura.

As soon as someone picks up a brush to paint, they become involved with some elements of "trickery" to produce the end result.

Some of his work reminds me a bit of that of Edward Hopper (Nighthawks, etc.,)
    We saw the progress of his painting of Kara Tointon, from photography to the finished work. The result was disappointing. However it showed his willingness to cooperate with the production team, as it would have been impossible to produce the same detail as evidenced in his other work and the hours it must have taken him to complete them.
    He seemed a little disappointed in his critics, but as he said, it was better to have his work hanging in hundreds of thousands of homes, as they do, rather than being stored in the basement of the Tate.

A good study of a very self-effacing talented man, who must be quietly "laughing all the way to the bank."
  • Robin DaviesRobin Davies Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    It wasn't listed as a repeat.
    When was it shown before and on what channel?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My telly mag. doesn't list the programmes on any of the channels other than the main five as repeats.

Sorry, I just assumed it had been shown before as I searched the forum for the title and this thread came up, but it may be a series of programmes and this was just one of them. I didn't really read the first post.
    I only watched it as I saw it was on Jack Vettriano.
    It should then be available on i>Player.
    Forum Member
    My telly mag. doesn't list the programmes on any of the channels other than the main five as repeats.

Sorry, I assumed it had as I searched the forum for the title and this thread came up, but it may be a series of programmes and this was just one of them.
    I only watched it as I saw it was on Jack Vettriano.
    It should then be available on i>Player.

it is a series the first episode was norman ackroyd
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    planets wrote: »
    i'm really pleased you enjoyed it (once it moved on from the porridge!); enchanted is an excellent description, i could have watched for much longer, and when he said it needed "more bite" i so wanted to follow the entire process.
    When Norman had made the Porridge, I thought the door would open and he'd be in the middle of nowhere....as it was, South London.....Not seen the Jack Vettriano one yet, but with Norman and Polly Morgan, this has been a fascinating series.
    First shown last night, not a repeat.....but it's been a couple of weeks since the last one with Polly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would appear this is the third programme, so there must be one before that for Norman Ackroyd. There isn't one next week at the same time.

As it's of living artists, I hope we aren't going to be inflicted with programmes on Tracey Emin or Damian Hirst.
    More than enough about them has been seen already.
    Forum Member
    It would appear this is the third programme, so there must be one before that for Norman Ackroyd. There isn't one next week at the same time.

As it's of living artists, I hope we aren't going to be inflicted with programmes on Tracey Emin or Damian Hirst.
    More than enough about them has been seen already.

the first in the series was norman ackroyd
    the second in the series (as stansfield posted above your post) was Polly Morgan
    the third in the series was jack vettriano
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    planets wrote: »
    the first in the series was norman ackroyd
    the second in the series (as stansfield posted above your post) was Polly Morgan
    the third in the series was jack vettriano

Thanks for that.
    Forum Member
    Watched the Jack Vettriano one last night.....and the best one I thought in the short series....but helped by Kara Tointon, who turned out to be the perfect Model for Jack.:cool:
    Forum Member
    Another episode was on last week {watched it last night}....Cornelia Parker the Artist....Had seen some of her work before, but still not sure if it's Art.;)
  • Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not favoured by the art establishment, in much the same way, was neither Norman Rockwell, whose work is loved by millions, who produced the covers of the "Saturday Evening Post" for decades, using a similar process.

For me it's the end result that matters, what's the difference between using a model and painting from photographs?

There are opinions that some celebrated artists in centuries gone by have taken advantage of images produced by a camera obscura.

As soon as someone picks up a brush to paint, they become involved with some elements of "trickery" to produce the end result.

Some of his work reminds me a bit of that of Edward Hopper (Nighthawks, etc.,)
    We saw the progress of his painting of Kara Tointon, from photography to the finished work. The result was disappointing. However it showed his willingness to cooperate with the production team, as it would have been impossible to produce the same detail as evidenced in his other work and the hours it must have taken him to complete them.
    He seemed a little disappointed in his critics, but as he said, it was better to have his work hanging in hundreds of thousands of homes, as they do, rather than being stored in the basement of the Tate.

A good study of a very self-effacing talented man, who must be quietly "laughing all the way to the bank."

You can say that again. I went to an exhibition of his originals at the Portland Gallery a few years ago. It sold out on the first night apart from one small self portrait that was priced at £80,000. The rest were all upwards of £100,000 and they all had red dots on them.

What I like about Jack Vettriano is he is still as humble and self effacing as he most probably was before his work started selling for those prices. As an artist myself it's reassuring to find out he has the same insecurities and self doubt that plague the rest of us (less successful) artists.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can say that again. I went to an exhibition of his originals at the Portland Gallery a few years ago. It sold out on the first night apart from one small self portrait that was priced at £80,000. The rest were all upwards of £100,000 and they all had red dots on them.

What I like about Jack Vettriano is he is still as humble and self effacing as he most probably was before his work started selling for those prices. As an artist myself it's reassuring to find out he has the same insecurities and self doubt that plague the rest of us (less successful) artists.

Another artist I've always admired was Vladimir Tretchikoff. Famous or infamous if you like for the omni-present "The Green Lady" in so many homes, but his wild animal and still life work is stunning.
    It must have been in the seventies that my wife and I went to an exhibition of his work in Kendall's department store in Manchester.
    He was in attendance and quite approachable.
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,699
    Forum Member
    sleepa wrote: »
    I will miss these fascinating unexpected little gems when they are inevitably lost through viewing figures.
    As viewing figures are not the "be all and end all" of the BBC there is no reason to think that.

Of course, if the BBC were to do as some have suggested and, indeed, "go commercial" or subscription then yes, all of BBC4's output would likely be the first to go.

That said, it sounds like a fascinating programme and I might just set up a wishlist on my Tivo for re-runs; and mention it to my mother, who is an amateur painter herself. :)
  • Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another artist I've always admired was Vladimir Tretchikoff. Famous or infamous if you like for the omni-present "The Green Lady" in so many homes, but his wild animal and still life work is stunning.
    It must have been in the seventies that my wife and I went to an exhibition of his work in Kendall's department store in Manchester.
    He was in attendance and quite approachable.

I found an interesting article when I was searching for Tretchicoff about the girl who posed for his green lady portrait.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22344710

And I've just had a good look round his site. Thanks for that:)- I'd never seen his work apart from the Chinese Girl before.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found an interesting article when I was searching for Tretchicoff about the girl who posed for his green lady portrait.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22344710

And I've just had a good look round his site. Thanks for that:)- I'd never seen his work apart from the Chinese Girl before.

Did you see the way he was able to interpret glass and reflections in stainless steel?
    Really fantastic.

I've a coffee table book of Rockwell's illustrations. I was first made aware of him in my early teens as my grammar school used to buy the Saturday Evening Post every week and put it in the school library, though I confess I was as much interested in the advertisements for the American cars as the illustrations on the covers.

I occasionally use Hopper's "Nighthawks" as my desk-top background.

The BBC have shown excellent documentaries of both these artists and actually re-created Rockwell's; "The Runaway" with the original models, the Highway Patrol man and the young boy.