Options

Which Retro R1 Presenter would you bring back?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
Forum Member
I know there was always a debate about ages of presenters etc, but which presenter of Radio 1's past, do you think would appeal to today's audience? People like Nightingale (and Peel before his sad passing) are constantly keeping up with the trends and thus being relevant. I'd like to suggest Adrian Juste and Simon Mayo. The former was a master at producing a show which was not just about music or just about comedy, but a nice mix of both. The latter was, and still is, an incredibly popular presenter who continues to bring in the listeners on Radio 2.

Also mention for Steve Lamaq as I used to like his show.

Comments

• Options
    LaurelandHardyLaurelandHardy Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom Browne.
  • Options
    pepstarpepstar Posts: 961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chris Moyles
  • Options
    CeeOCeeO Posts: 860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Man Ezeke..
  • Options
    hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jamie_Dyer wrote: »
    I'd like to suggest Adrian Juste and Simon Mayo. The former was a master at producing a show which was not just about music or just about comedy, but a nice mix of both.
    Adrian Juste did appear on Bigl(OneGold) which never took off, then he and Mike Read went to BBC local radio stations and Adrian did some Christmas shows, the wiki says he is doing Bingo voiceovers now, I will expect some PCs will be reluctant to let him have free live access as he has strong political views.

Onegold was to Mike Read's attempt to recreate a retro r1 station but never worked out,
    many ex R1 djs are on BBC local radio (aimed at over 50s) and notice Dave Cash is now on the Reading station with Mike, Looks like Mike and DLT are no longer on northern Magic with Tony Blackburn.
    There is a character Eddie Watts in "that puppet show" with a similarity to Mike Read!
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01cb1pt/profiles/eddie-watts

Sadly DLT is awaiting a court trial.

Smooth (the Guardian once called it the djs retirement home) and the Wireless seem to have ex R1 DJs (Dave Hamilton, Simon Barte's , Andy Peebles, Lynn Parsons)
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emperor Rosko.
  • Options
    FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,841
    Forum Member
    The only people I can think of that may still be relevant to Radio 1's current audience would be Jo Whiley, Zoe Ball or Chris Moyles.

Can't believe that Adrian Juste has been mentioned, a joke surely?
  • Options
    FusionLadFusionLad Posts: 1,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CeeO wrote: »
    The Man Ezeke..
    haha really?:D
  • Options
    dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know there was always a debate about ages of presenters etc, but which presenter of Radio 1's past, do you think would appeal to today's audience? People like Nightingale (and Peel before his sad passing) are constantly keeping up with the trends and thus being relevant. I'd like to suggest Adrian Juste and Simon Mayo. The former was a master at producing a show which was not just about music or just about comedy, but a nice mix of both. The latter was, and still is, an incredibly popular presenter who continues to bring in the listeners on Radio 2.

Also mention for Steve Lamaq as I used to like his show.
    FM Lover wrote: »
    The only people I can think of that may still be relevant to Radio 1's current audience would be Jo Whiley, Zoe Ball or Chris Moyles.

Can't believe that Adrian Juste has been mentioned, a joke surely?

I can't see that Adrian Juste would appeal to Radio 1's current audience. I've wondered about how an updated version of his style would be - maybe using modern comedy including the use of non stand-up such as sketch shows, Family Guy etc and even then I think it would sound quite naff. I think it would require someone creative with some new perspective to make that work.

I agree with Whiley, Ball and Moyles - on the right show. I agree with Simon Mayo as well - he would be able to adapt his style - although him and Greg James would sound similar.
  • Options
    cgkcgk Posts: 528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you are old enough to remember a retro-DJ are you too old to be listening to Radio 1? :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cgk wrote: »
    If you are old enough to remember a retro-DJ are you too old to be listening to Radio 1? :p

I'm actually within their target audience, I just have an interest in what they did in the past, as it seems more like Radio 2 nowadays, which I enjoy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Robbie Vincent!
  • Options
    pjexpjex Posts: 9,401
    Forum Member
    dpb wrote: »
    I can't see that Adrian Juste would appeal to Radio 1's current audience. I've wondered about how an updated version of his style would be - maybe using modern comedy including the use of non stand-up such as sketch shows, Family Guy etc and even then I think it would sound quite naff. I think it would require someone creative with some new perspective to make that work.

I agree with Whiley, Ball and Moyles - on the right show. I agree with Simon Mayo as well - he would be able to adapt his style - although him and Greg James would sound similar.

Mayo's wit is far superior to Greg James', Mayos morning show with features such as dead or alive was far more entertaining and edgy than what Greg James does.
  • Options
    gwrbristolgwrbristol Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rankin' Miss P
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gwrbristol wrote: »
    Rankin' Miss P
    Actually she'd be good on 1 Xtra as her knowledge of reggae is top notch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think for the irony factor why not bring back Simon Bates to do Our Tune. It's a shame Radio 1 is so dismissive of its past and past presenters in a way Radio 2 never is.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    The Vancemeister!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Glenn A wrote: »
    I think for the irony factor why not bring back Simon Bates to do Our Tune. It's a shame Radio 1 is so dismissive of its past and past presenters in a way Radio 2 never is.

No, I regularly see tributes to former presenters. Paul O Grady did it last week when he mentioned Jimmy Young, and others. It's funny that Radio 1 is dismissive, because TOTP 78 on BBC4 is a huge reminder of the work they did.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I regularly see tributes to former presenters. Paul O Grady did it last week when he mentioned Jimmy Young, and others. It's funny that Radio 1 is dismissive, because TOTP 78 on BBC4 is a huge reminder of the work they did.

The only old presenter that seems to be remembered is John Peel. Yet his show went out to a small audience late at night and his music was distinctly niche. It's a shame Radio 1 is so dismissive of its past as it wouldn't still be here without the huge audiences that followed it in the seventies and eighties.
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He still does it at 8.40 every morning on Smooth.

Not so retro but I miss Mark and Lard as a team.
  • Options
    reverse_diodereverse_diode Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Freeman, Vance and Walker

Sounds like a firm of accountants:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 300
    Forum Member
    hanssolo wrote: »
    Simon Barte's

Love it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only old presenter that seems to be remembered is John Peel. Yet his show went out to a small audience late at night and his music was distinctly niche. It's a shame Radio 1 is so dismissive of its past as it wouldn't still be here without the huge audiences that followed it in the seventies and eighties.

It's called being appealing to your audience, not celebrating dated personalities that mean nothing to their target audience.

The oldest Radio 1 listeners shouldn't really be able to remember any Breakfast presenters beyond Zoe Ball. And I guess they celebrated her by doing the show from Ibiza this year
  • Options
    Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jimmy Young.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    None - as they no longer appeal to the target audience. Radio 1 was always meant to be for the youth of the day, it lost its way big time in the 80's, although I know was a huge success. Bates, DLT, Mayo, Bruno Brookes and even Mark and Lard have little relevance to todays Radio 1 audience.
  • Options
    dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yordel wrote: »
    It's called being appealing to your audience, not celebrating dated personalities that mean nothing to their target audience.

The oldest Radio 1 listeners shouldn't really be able to remember any Breakfast presenters beyond Zoe Ball. And I guess they celebrated her by doing the show from Ibiza this year

I agree with you. Radio 1 has it right by refreshing every few years (in fact I would argue the refresh over the last 18 months was probably two years overdue) and only the more influential presenters (Peel and I imagine Westwood will on the hip-hop shows) are remembered.