What happens as you age?

Comments

• Paulie WalnutsPaulie Walnuts Posts: 3,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kippeh wrote: »
    You ache more. And you walk down the stairs one at a time like toddlers do.
    benbenalen wrote: »
    Why is that? I watch from the bus, while the elderly takes like 20 seconds to get up and get off, where as it would take me 2 seconds,

Does it hurt if you try and move fast?

I'm only in my 50's so not a fully fledged oldie yet.

Part of what you describe is precautionary, you don't want to take a chance and strain something. Stepping off a bus becomes potentially more hazardous the older you get, you need to make sure that the landing point is safe before you commit yourself.
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    BirdyBee wrote: »
    So far...

(Work in progress)

I feel surprised at the trivialities that concerned me, looking back.

I think I am more cynical and yet more tolerant. Things are less black and white. It's a grey world. And my right eyebrow appears to agree. :( Nobody warned me I might end up with mismatched eyebrows.

But I wouldn't want to go back and give up what I have learnt.

That more cynical and more tolerant thing seems to be a common theme... A lot of the current generation of old people seem less tolerant though, in many ways, most likely due to the attitudes that persisted when they were growing up.

Maybe this generation of 20 and 30 something's will be the first to not get less tolerant as they get older? Or maybe we will find new things to be less tolerant about, as culture shifts into something we no longer move in, or understand? I think we will be more tolerant though. I think with every generation, the human race moves a little bit further out of the dark.
  • BirdyBeeBirdyBee Posts: 1,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »
    That more cynical and more tolerant thing seems to be a common theme... A lot of the current generation of old people seem less tolerant though, in many ways, most likely due to the attitudes that persisted when they were growing up.

Maybe this generation of 20 and 30 something's will be the first to not get less tolerant as they get older? Or maybe we will find new things to be less tolerant about, as culture shifts into something we no longer move in, or understand? I think we will be more tolerant though. I think with every generation, the human race moves a little bit further out of the dark.

That's positive. I like to think that we are moving forward, but I'm not sure. We might be going around in circles. :)

Give me another twenty years and I might be in full swing about the denigration of society and how the youth of today don't know they're born.

We're changing all the time as a whole. But are we evolving or revolving?
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    0...0 wrote: »
    God, Ive been thinking about this a lot recently. I was once very idealistic and passionate about making a difference. Since I hit 40 I just keep thinking about how long my parents have left, how much time I and my family have left, how quickly 20 turned to 40 and how quickly 40 will turn to 60 and it scares the crap out of me. Im also obsessing about what the point of it all is. Ultimately I know the 'right' answer is to go with the flow as everyone else does, to b grateful for what I have but Im finding that really difficult. And I've wasted the last month posting shite about Eastenders. Help!!!
    I don't know if this is called a midlife crisis but I've been thinking exactly the same way.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Young people can be reactionary, they can spend large amounts of time worrying about things that are actually quite trivial.

Old people can be blaise, mellow and patronising, maybe they find it difficult to be as passionate about things as they used to be?

These are things I sometimes notice about people, I'm not saying all people, but a lot of people.

What else do you think happens to your outlook of life as you get older?

I could give you a whole list of things that happen as you get older and tbh you should know this already, i.e. look towards your parents, grandparents and generally just look around.
  • DanniLaMoneDanniLaMone Posts: 2,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think genetics have a lot to do with how you age. My Mum is in her 40s but looks more like she is mid 30. What bugs me is that we sometimes get mistaken for sisters. :confused:
  • SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,244
    Forum Member
    I must be lucky in a way as I have never been young. I could never jump and leap over things. I was always stiff and slipping and tripping up. I never liked the other teenagers and so now I feel much more comfortable that I am not expected to do those things.
  • goldberry1goldberry1 Posts: 2,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For ages I've always looked the same but just recently I've noticed that my skin is beginning to look a bit older and I can't do anything with my hair. Quite depressing really.
  • DanniLaMoneDanniLaMone Posts: 2,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't worry me one bit about getting older or looking older. What does worry me is getting sick or being unable to look after myself. A friend of my Mum's died from a brain tumour and watching her health decline was quite horrific.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it were 200 years, you'd be saying, 'why is it only 200 years', and everyone would just take twice as long doing everything.
    It would mean a huge social adjustment if people lived to be 200. For one thing, people obviously couldn't retire after 40 years work and expect to live off a pension for the next 135 years. And to stop the population exploding impossibly, we would have to do something that is very hard to imagine.
    Why is that? I watch from the bus, while the elderly takes like 20 seconds to get up and get off, where as it would take me 2 seconds,

Really not looking forward to old age!

Walking down stairs - especially very steep stairs, as on a bus - is specifically very hard on the knees, far more so than going up. Really, the process for not straining your knees would be to come downstairs backwards, but few of us want to look completely mad in public. My knees really hurt when I come down steep stairs, and at home in private, first thing in the morning, I do indeed come down like a toddler, both feet on one step. In public, eg in a hotel, I try to bound down like a gazelle, but it is rather a stumbling gazelle and hurts quite a lot. :(
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Posts: 15,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The problem with getting old ( 78 today) is you start to wonder when it will happen , you get a little pain and you wonder if this is it you know that it is going to happen you just don't know when and you start to worry :cry:
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,542
    Forum Member

Really not looking forward to old age!

You are in for a shock :(

I never thought getting old would be like it is. Seems everything goes within weeks of each other.

Eye sight where I now 'have' to wear my glasses.

Total knee replacement where I now cannot kneel on the floor and if I finally do get down there it's a struggle to get back up again.

I won't even start on trying to climb up a 3 rung ladder and not fall off as your balance goes!

This thread started off funny.... now I have lost my sense of humour :blush:

:D
  • The FinisherThe Finisher Posts: 10,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The problem with getting old ( 78 today) is you start to wonder when it will happen , you get a little pain and you wonder if this is it you know that it is going to happen you just don't know when and you start to worry :cry:

Happy Birthday Uncle Fester...and here's to many more :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    Your as old as you feel,is my motto,getting to 50 was a milestone for me,but in honesty,I'm liking it,and finally feel comfortable with my looks and my mind.....
  • 1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I misspent the years from about 14-24 drinking, smoking ect so currently I'm healthier and I look and feel better than I did in my 20's. I don't know how much better things will get but so far I quite like ageing.
  • 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    I don't know if this is called a midlife crisis but I've been thinking exactly the same way.

Yes, I think we're both having a mid life crisis! How do people get over it? I don't want a Harley Davidson or an affair so what do I do???
  • DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As you age, you find new cleaning products fascinating and certainly a worthy subject to rave about when people ask you how your weekend was. I'm so middle-aged.
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find you start wearing more grown-up shoes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, happy birthday. xx:)xx

I went to a death cafe yesterday, where 23 of us sat round for 3 hours talking about death - I mean, I know how to enjoy myself - and my favourite comment was one woman's "Well I think death is a terrible system!" - which did make everyone laugh.

The one thing I have learned in my life is not to spoil today by fretting about tomorrow.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am 55 and at the age I am happier now than I was when younger I may have health issues but I am happy , I laugh when I hear young people talking about sex , you think they invented it.

I t takes a lot to shock me now but to be honest I am glad I am not 18 again !
  • culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    irishguy wrote: »
    Telomeric degredation..... DNA replication requires a primer every time it gets replicated... unfortunately that primer doesnt get replicated iteself meaning the DNA is slightly smaller than before. At first this doesnt matter because the telomere ends contain 'junk' DNA which serves no purpose... over time though this junk DNA gets all used up then the primer starts entering areas of actual coding DNA... this is how cellular degredation begins. So the DNA primer is good for about 60-70 years then every time your cell divides its losing a little bit of the thing that makes the cell....

Hope thats vaguely clear.

So why don't all DNA based life-forms last circa 70+ years then?

On which subject; apparently there's a theory that if you have lots of moles then your telomeres age more slowly than the norm.
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cultureman wrote: »

they pretty much last as long as they need to, to reproduce, and then its best for their offspring that they die.
  • culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »
    they pretty much last as long as they need to, to reproduce, and then its best for their offspring that they die.
    In which case we would 'break' at around 20 or so.
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    its really frustrating...

- your mind is still young, but your body is starting to fail.
    - your eyes first... i needed glasses soon after 40 for reading, now i nearly need them all the time.
    memory...my short term memory is shocking, after it was so precise 'back then'
    - aches and pains... become easier to aquire but harder to get rid of
    - libido.... whats that? oh its frustrating not having the strength of urge you once did. sex is really boring now after all these years.
    - my dads looking back at me in the mirror
    - yes you get more cycical... youve seen/heard all the political bullshit before and it doesnt wash now
    - sod everyone, i dont give a damn
    - your options have narrowed, once you could do anything, go anywhere, was physically fit... now your winding down, you arent going to be prime minister now, nor an astronaught, you are adjusting towards retirement and are worried about that dull pain, lump, cough, etc

in some ways its great, feeling 'safe' now youve a house and income, no more kids, quieter, but theres the elephant in the room, looming larger at every birthday... when is my time up? and worrying about becoming old, immobile and infirm.
  • bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cultureman wrote: »

On which subject; apparently there's a theory that if you have lots of moles then your telomeres age more slowly than the norm.

do you get molehills, like having acne when your young ?

if so. I'm out