Options

What is your favourite series of the BB8-11 era?

dan_dan_ Posts: 1,950
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Most agree that there are four BB eras - 'the early years' (BB1-BB4), 'the golden years' (BB5-BB7), the 'dark(?) years' (BB8-11) and now we are in the C5 era.

The 'dark years' (sounds extreme I know but I've seen it called that a few times) seem to be the era that is generally, the most unpopular on this forum and in general, deemed when BB went downhill, and when the media lost interest in the show and was axed.

However, as I have said on this forum before, I think 8, 9 and 10 were all very entertaining in there own ways - 9 and 10 in particular, 9 had probably one of the most complete and unmessed with long running story arcs of all the series and 10 was full of characters and moments - also one of the very few series to get better as it goes along.

Which is your favourite and why? I would rank it like this 10 > 9 > 8 > 11 with 11 being the only truly bad series in this overall underrated phase of Big Brother!:) (does anyone else agree it was overall pretty underrated btw?)

Favourite series out of the 8-11 era? 77 votes

Big Brother 8
6%
CLL DodgeSuperAPJ[Deleted User]GroundhogalRabidWolverine1 5 votes
Big Brother 9
61%
EddyBeeABCZYXSelenarichie4evaStewartFyohinnchildTrumblesDaveringAneechikr0ry101sangreal[Deleted User][Deleted User]dannyboy22Shine_OnEric_Blobmeglosmurmurskimotaglivefeed24/7nowHelenH 47 votes
Big Brother 10
16%
SourGrapesSillyBillyGoatRobstaceyxxx23k0213818ChrisJamesSatsGaskell17gcmacdan_Gwaed Waedlydmiaow[Deleted User]snariek 13 votes
Big Brother 11
15%
4troy7zelda fanpothuthictroy4783[Deleted User][Deleted User][Deleted User]jackyo55ItsRichardPriceRonell_DavisfreddieaxlLuner13 12 votes

Comments

• Options
    dan_dan_ Posts: 1,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big Brother 10
    Posting so the poll appears.
  • Options
    meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,110
    Forum Member
    Big Brother 9
    All series had their flaws and unpleasant moments but I definitely enjoyed BB9 the most.
  • Options
    AliceyAlicey Posts: 5,294
    Forum Member
    Big Brother 9

• Options
    TrumblesTrumbles Posts: 7,781
    Forum Member
    Big Brother 9
    dan_ wrote: »
    Which is your favourite and why? I would rank it like this 10 > 9 > 8 > 11 with 11 being the only truly bad series in this overall underrated phase of Big Brother!:) (does anyone else agree it was overall pretty underrated btw?)
    BB9 is one of my favourite series with a lot of good characters concluding with a strong, exciting final and perhaps my favourite winner.
    There was a lot of fun stuff along the way, although I understand that people who find polarised group boring could get fed up with B Block slowly coming to dominate the voting.

As for the others, I missed bits of BB10 and more of BB11 so I can't judge very fairly. I liked some of what I saw of BB10 but it had a dreadful start, (treating the housemates with contempt and shafting Beinazir) and a pathetic final. It featured a lot of dislikeable housemates, lost one of its best early (Angel), and suffered from endless walkers including the ridiculous Isaac. Oh and Siavash reduced nominations etc to a joke at the end.

BB8 I felt never recovered from losing some of its best HMs near the start. It was too long, featured dead weight like Carole and Tracey, focussed on the insufferable Charley (and fixed things to keep her in), the epically tedious 'Chiggy' and the final winner Brian with his 'I iz fick' schtick. Oh and the HND hokey-cokey was embarrassing. It was very hard to care. I liked the twins though.

I think I'd probably go with BB9>BB10>BB11>BB8, but BB9 is in a different league imo.
  • Options
    GroundhogalGroundhogal Posts: 9,495
    Forum Member
    Big Brother 8
    Trumbles wrote: »
    BB9 is one of my favourite series with a lot of good characters concluding with a strong, exciting final and perhaps my favourite winner.
    There was a lot of fun stuff along the way, although I understand that people who find polarised group boring could get fed up with B Block slowly coming to dominate the voting.

As for the others, I missed bits of BB10 and more of BB11 so I can't judge very fairly. I liked some of what I saw of BB10 but it had a dreadful start, (treating the housemates with contempt and shafting Beinazir) and a pathetic final. It featured a lot of dislikeable housemates, lost one of its best early (Angel), and suffered from endless walkers including the ridiculous Isaac. Oh and Siavash reduced nominations etc to a joke at the end.

BB8 I felt never recovered from losing some of its best HMs near the start. It was too long, featured dead weight like Carole and Tracey, focussed on the insufferable Charley (and fixed things to keep her in), the epically tedious 'Chiggy' and the final winner Brian with his 'I iz fick' schtick. Oh and the HND hokey-cokey was embarrassing. It was very hard to care. I liked the twins though.

I think I'd probably go with BB9>BB10>BB11>BB8, but BB9 is in a different league imo.

I couldn't have summed up BB8 any better myself. So much disappointment. I wasn't that bothered about the launch night twist but the day 3 introduction of Drippy Zippy as the sexy, lone male was a bad move. I quite liked the twits too, eventually. Their launch night lollypop licking, barely legal act was well dodgy. They were 'at it' as much as Brian though and never fooled Jonathan for a second. Despite all these faults, I thought it was the best of the 4 BBs mentioned.
    ps, HWH not HND
  • Options
    miaowmiaow Posts: 8,495
    Forum Member
    Big Brother 10
    BB10 is my favourite series of any - for me they were the most interesting and entertaining housemates and the best combination of housemates. Some really fun tasks too, like the dancing and Siavash in his barrel suit. Noirin's hypnotism of the male hms (and Angel lol) was hilarious, loved Bea. loved Lisa and David...just everything.

BB11 second, BB9 third......huge gap, tumbleweed.....BB8 last.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Big Brother 9
    9 top; Sylvia, Jennifer and Bex's evictions are among my all-time favourites, and once they had gone it was an entertaining series right to the end.

Then 10: I couldn't bear it when it turned into the Noirin show, and found the Freddie adulation on here insufferable, but enjoyed most of it. Sophie and Rodrigo were sweet together, Sophie and the broken-hearted Siavash were also engaging, Lisa and David were a likeable pair, and hilarious in the aliens task.

Third was BB8; Carole and Tracey were bad to the end, but I did mostly like Gerry, loved Jonty, loved the twins (unexpectedly) and thought the series somehow transcended the awful production decisions to keep itself afloat.

11 bottom; Once Ben had gone it died really, even though I was not a fan of his. I liked Andrew, but he would have been better to have done it three years later - not that Ch 5 would have taken him. Ignore the Obvious was a stroke of genius, and the flood was amusing, but otherwise they might as well have shown someone staring into space for the last four or five weeks. John James seemed a complete thundercloud for half of the time, and apart from Andrew and Sam (who quickly got annoying) the newbies were a waste of space.
  • Options
    SourGrapesSourGrapes Posts: 4,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big Brother 10
    I loved the 'dark years' - BB9 and BB10 were the series I enjoyed most, 10 just edges it on the strength of the housemates, despite a few dodgy production decisions

BB8 was a lot of fun too purely because of Sam and Amanda -my favourite housemates of all time

As for BB11, it was disappointing that the best housemates early but the first few weeks were good at least
  • Options
    FrispsFrisps Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    Big Brother 9
    bb9 by a country mile then 10,11,8 in that order for me.
  • Options
    Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    Big Brother 9
    BB9 by miles was the best imo. I think it was one of the series that was entertaining right until the very end, and pretty much every eviction went the way I wanted it to. There were so many landslides in that season with people getting close to 90% of the vote, it was always very clear-cut who should leave imo. Except perhaps the first eviction with Stephanie, since we didn't know their personalities yet (i.e. Luke seemed nice and funny in the first couple of weeks but became intolerable after a while, he would have got voted out week 1 if we knew his personality at the time). I also really wanted Bex to go out over Mario tbh, but apart from that it all went fine.

BB9 was very "natural" feeling as well. There weren't many cases where I felt BB was interfering with things majorly. The only big example that springs to mind is that time when Bex and Luke told Rex about how they met Rachel at the auditions and she was lively and bossy, which cause Rex and Rachel to end up in a bit of an arguement, then a couple of weeks later BB obviously engineered a situation where Rex would see Rachel's VT, with the intent to cause them to argue some more (and after that they continued for the rest of the season lol).

BB9 started out being Alexandra vs. everybody, then slowly turned into BBlock vs. Whisper club for a long time, then when the Whsiper Club all got evicted one at a time, it became mainly Rex vs. Rachel right up until the end. Usually series get a bit quieter and more relaxed towards the end, with no hate figures, but BB9 had some really intense situations even near the end like the Darnell/Sara one (which ruined Darnell's chances to win imo, I think he was a genuine contender until he behaved that way toward Sara right near the end). I think BB6 was quite good near the end as well.

BB8 was a bit boring really. Their idea to start with all females, then add a male in could have worked out well. I think they were expecting them to all get really bitchy, then get competitive over getting Ziggy's attention, but it didn't really work, they were all too nice and friendly with each other.

BB10 I really hated. How someone as miserable and annoying as Lisa managed to stay almost until the end is beyond me. If it was BB9 she would have been out really early (although frankly she wouldn't have fit in with that cast at all). Also that guy Kris was one of the most horrible housemates ever imo. So condescending. He treats others who aren't "cool" like he thinks he is as if they're animals.

The interesting HMs in BB10 were Freddie, Siavash, Marcus and Noirin, if they'd stayed until the end and people like Lisa were out earlier, I think it would have been better. I thought Sophie was a good winner though. Especially since attractive females usually struggle in Big Brother, and she did really seem like a nice girl, and she made me laugh a lot. Also, her drastic weight gain in the house (which she didn't seem to care about in the slightest) showed she's not as obsessed over her looks as we might have first assumed.

Another problem with BB10 was that it seemed very chaotic with people walking out all the time. BB usually replace a HM when they walk out, but there were so many walkers in that series that it seemed they gave up trying to replace them in the end lol.

Also Hira getting evicted was puzzling. I know it was a vote to save, and she was a bit boring, but at least she was a bit cute and charming. I just find it incredulous that people actually picked up the phone to vote for people like Lisa. It's different with "love to hate" HMs like Rex, Makosi, etc, but Lisa just wasn't one of those, everything about her was so miserable imo. Also, I don't understand why Bea was hated so much. I know she was a bit nasty to Freddie, but I can think of dozens of BB housemates who I thought were worse than her. Also, I found it a bit funny how Kenneth was one of the most extreme characters in the house that year, yet he wasn't even selected through the audition process, he was just a boyfriend of another HM. When they did a similar thing in BB9 we ended up with Nicole who was a bit too "normal" for the show.
  • Options
    Maxine_RochMaxine_Roch Posts: 5,193
    Forum Member
    Big Brother 9
    I would put them in this order
    BB9
    BB11
    BB8
    BB10

I really enjiyed BB9 I think it's an underrated series . I quited enjoyed BB11 as well although I did not like the quadrupedal eviction in which we lost three big chracters that desreved to be in the final. BB8 I only liked because of Charley I don't think I would have enjoyed it as much once she eventually left I lost intrest in it . BB10 I just didn't really get in to it I didn't really have a favourite either.
  • Options
    Paul WilsonPaul Wilson Posts: 5,108
    Forum Member
    Big Brother 9
    Well like many on here it seems, I loved big brother nine. One of the best ever for me, and as others have said, it kept the standard going from the first night to the very last - unlike, say, big brothers 6 or 7. Terrific winner in Rachel - for someone so allegedly 'dull' she still provokes debate, and some splendidly hissable villains.
    Quite liked big brother ten, too. Like a lot of them, it ran out of steam towards the end, but personally I thought Siavash was great.
    Big brother 8 I turned off after opening night, because of the twins - more fool me as it turned out, and as for eleven? That was the point for me when, when people say to you 'What do you watch that crap for??' I didn't have an answer to give save for embarrassed silence.
  • Options
    ABCZYXABCZYX Posts: 12,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Big Brother 9
    It is usually thought on these forums that BB9 is the best of the BB8-BB11 era and it's definitely my favourite of that era too.
    Well like many on here it seems, I loved big brother nine. One of the best ever for me, and as others have said, it kept the standard going from the first night to the very last - unlike, say, big brothers 6 or 7. Terrific winner in Rachel - for someone so allegedly 'dull' she still provokes debate, and some splendidly hissable villains.

I agree that it had a very good first night with a launch night twist that took my interest. It made me want to see whether they would be able to pass it or not. It was a shame that it resulted in Stephanie being evicted as she had a lot of potential. She seemed quite popular with most of the house, with HMs from both B Block and the Whisper Club upset to see her go. She was starting to get more popular amongst the public too and I think had she stayed, she might have lasted for quite a while in there.

And with Rachel, I understand THAT some people find her "dull". I just don't understand WHY.
  • Options
    im sooo fatim sooo fat Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    Big Brother 9
    BB9 was fantastic. BB8 was great. BB10 was meh. BB11 was a MESS.
  • Options
    richie4evarichie4eva Posts: 217,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Big Brother 9
    Best of the era - Series 9 by a country mile
    • THAT eviction in the final week, in the top 10 BB moments EVER
    • The odious Dennis getting thrown out
    • Whisper Club picked off one by one

The list is endless but it did have its faults as well
    • Bex getting rewarded with a Hanson song even though she deliberately broke that mirror in the jail
    • Spitgate
    • Lisa being allowed back in even though she escaped out of the fire door
    • The way Rachel was treated when she won and her treatment from then on just because she won
    • Mario going back in for that proposal stunt

Worst - Series 8 and where to start
    • The Halfway House meddling to make sure Ziggy and Liam were safe before they finally ended it
    • Carole totally sucking the fun out of the house, just think if there had been no Live Feed she may have actually won the whole thing
    • Bellend and his whole look at me I'm fick me performance
    • The all girl start and the drip feeding of blokes in there
    • Chanelle's whole hokey cokey before she finally left
    • Charley, 'nuff said
    • Laura thinking it would be clever to walk out on her eviction night in that filthy robe
    • Gerry talking his way out of the house and then we all found out Carole had the higher percentage
    • The constant meddling to keep Charley in until she used up her usefulness

One of the few bright spots was Shabnam's cringey eviction dance and Ma McCall had to go and collect her as she was getting really carried away
  • Options
    Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big Brother 11
    I am quite the fan of BB11 however I did not like Josie Gibson's unfair favouritism from producers.

She should not have won.

I also agree that once Ben left the show really nose dived. the "replacements" such as Andrew & JJ couldn't compare.
  • Options
    SgtRockSgtRock Posts: 11,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only watched half of BB8 and none of 9 or 10 so can't really comment on those. I have a soft spot for BB11 for several reasons.

One of those is that BB11 was the series that refused to end. It was the first series where housemates came out of the house and went straight onto Twitter. Long after the series went off air you could still follow what they were doing and their interactions with other housemates. The extent to which some of them used Twitter made it almost an extension of live feed. It was the golden age of self-made YouTube videos and Twitcams. All of this is gone these days. The JJJ story ran and ran (to the extent that the JJJ and Court threads are still active to this day). Are there any other ex-housemates from other series that still attract these levels of devotion/derision after so long?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    Big Brother 9
    BB9. It had a good amount of entertaining characters, as well as interesting storylines. Cringeworthy moments, but memorable all the same. Lots of drama in the first three weeks, especially with Alexandragate, You-wouldn't-do-that-to-Monet-pizzagate, and the immediately ensuing spitgate.

BB10 was a good series overall, what with the love shape Noirin was forming with virtually everyone, Halfwit surviving almost every eviction until Week 9, and Queen Bea, but the opening twist was rather weak, and while I like rebellious housemates, their constant breaking of the rules regarding nominations got quite irritating. It got to a point where I questioned why they decided to be on the show in the first place, when a fundamental part of the Big Brother game is to nominate. I got irritated with Siavash towards the end of the series, especially. To quit or not to quit? To nominate or not to nominate?

BB11 was a great way to wave farewell to the series, but it ended with a dud. It was all very promising at the beginning, but when the focus shifted to the duvet in the bedroom, it all got a little boring. The quadruple eviction really drove the nail in the coffin for this series, at least for me. I still stand by my opinion that a VTS would have been appropriate for this occasion.

BB8 is my least favourite of all these three. The opening twist also wasn't that interesting. I hated Chanelle and I hated Chiggy, though to be fair, I also did think Charley was a proper tosser. There's just something about this series that didn't really draw me to it.
  • Options
    Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BB8 and BB9 are actually really good, if you watch them on youtube.
  • Options
    SexSex Posts: 44,161
    Forum Member

Big brother 11 I can't I tried rewatxhing it. Fell asleep