Forum Member
✭✭✭
RIP to a talented and legendary actor

Comments

• spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RIP Mickey ,

I remember him as Lampie in Pete's Dragon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XfLb1U_j1A
    Of course he starred in many many films way better than Pete's Dragon but this was the first film I saw him in ( I was very young )
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He came to Milton Keynes to do pantomime in 2009/10. I saw him and he was the star of the show, singing "Smile" and joking about how old he was. I was always amazed he had decided to come over and do something like that at his great age, in England, and in Milton Keynes. This was at the same panto of Cinderella that Amy Winehouse made the news for disrupting things from the audience and getting thrown out and arrested.
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    He came to Milton Keynes to do pantomime in 2009/10. I saw him and he was the star of the show, singing "Smile" and joking about how old he was. I was always amazed he had decided to come over and do something like that at his great age, in England, and in Milton Keynes. This was at the same panto of Cinderella that Amy Winehouse made the news for disrupting things from the audience and getting thrown out and arrested.

What a contrast.
  • Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    I loved his comment about marriage, and he was certainly an expert after saying "I do" eight times.

"I like to get married in the morning, so if it doesn't work out I haven't wasted a whole day." :D
  • BelaBela Posts: 2,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved his comment about marriage, and he was certainly an expert after saying "I do" eight times.

"I like to get married in the morning, so if it doesn't work out I haven't wasted a whole day." :D

:D Class.

RIP Mr Rooney.
  • td1983td1983 Posts: 2,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    R.I.P. Mickey Rooney, a true Hollywood legend. To have a career spanning 92 years is nothing short of remarkable.
  • fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    He had a great life. RIP to you Mr Rooney
  • lux lisbon 2lux lisbon 2 Posts: 6,273
    Forum Member
    RIP Mickey Rooney, always a fan of his work, he had a decent run in anybody's book.
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,929
    Forum Member
    RIP Mickey! I know it sounds bad but I thought he'd already gone! When I heard the news in my half dreamy state early this morning, I thought they were talking about Mickey Rourke and I was thinking how I'd really enjoyed him in the Wrestler and Iron Man!!

I suppose the thing about Mickey is that you can forget that he was a child star and it's hard at first to think how someone who was a well known actor in the 30s is still alive.
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not really a shock at his age, one of the last links to the real Golden Age of Hollywood.
  • Rogana JoshRogana Josh Posts: 41,348
    Forum Member
    R.I.P. Mickey Rooney.
  • GroundhogalGroundhogal Posts: 9,479
    Forum Member
    td1983 wrote: »
    R.I.P. Mickey Rooney, a true Hollywood legend. To have a career spanning 92 years is nothing short of remarkable.

Indeed he was. It's a sad sign of the times that this legend only got 11 comments on this forum yet another, very much lesser 'celebrity' who died on the same day got 649.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone remember his guest role in The Golden Girls? I loved him in that. Natural comic, perfect for that show.
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed he was. It's a sad sign of the times that this legend only got 11 comments on this forum yet another, very much lesser 'celebrity' who died on the same day got 649.

Isn't it just! :(

Even on the BBC News At 6 on Monday night I thought he got a really poor effort with a very basic 90 second item by Nick Higham which did the man no justice at all. A very famous Hollywood superstar for so many decades, yet a 25 year old girl famous for nothing more than her parentage gains saturation coverage much of the night. As I watched it I said to my mother with me that there would be people more shocked and concerned by Peaches than if that news had been about the Prime Minister or maybe even the Queen herself. But Mickey Rooney vs Peaches Geldof was a good enough genuine contrast on the day.

It was brilliant just to be in the same theatre as the man on 8th January 2010, staring at him just a few feet away as he sang and gave a cute wink and a warm smile.
  • MicknsivMicknsiv Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Isn't it just! :(

Even on the BBC News At 6 on Monday night I thought he got a really poor effort with a very basic 90 second item by Nick Higham which did the man no justice at all. A very famous Hollywood superstar for so many decades, yet a 25 year old girl famous for nothing more than her parentage gains saturation coverage much of the night. As I watched it I said to my mother with me that there would be people more shocked and concerned by Peaches than if that news had been about the Prime Minister or maybe even the Queen herself. But Mickey Rooney vs Peaches Geldof was a good enough genuine contrast on the day.

It was brilliant just to be in the same theatre as the man on 8th January 2010, staring at him just a few feet away as he sang and gave a cute wink and a warm smile.

Have you read The Sun today? 6 pages dedicated to Peaches Geldof. 1 page to the great man. I mean, come on.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a life he had. I think there's even a murder, suicide at his house in there somewhere too. He'll probably be getting the most recognition in his own country.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There must be another thread somewhere, as I know I posted my respects on it, as did several others. But they don't appear in this thread. :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    If you are talking about the Peaches thread then of course it would generate more, hers is a tragic death at the age of 25. Mickeys is a celebration of life and a grand old age

RIP Mickey
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's hope he gets his wish with regards to where he wanted to be buried.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/04/09/showbiz/mickey-rooney-will/index.html
  • Georges GrunGeorges Grun Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wayne must be devastated.