Currys will never change.

2»

Comments

• darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I popped into Currys the other day as I was downtown for an appointment. Looked around and saw a Tripod I quite liked.

Asked one of the assistants about it, only to be told they don't have any instock. Rolleyes.

Asked if they could sell the display model, NOPE. rolleyes.

So I went home, checked amazon, they had the same model, ordered and delivered the next day.

One customer lost for Currys, one won for Amazon.

That doesn't surprise me in the least, I went in there a few months ago for a camera bag to reserve online & pick up in store, the website confirmed that my store had it in stock, I went to the store to pick it up, only to be told that particular bag had bin discontinued and that they could only offer me the next bag up which was a lot more expensive. I ended up going to Argos & buying the bag I wanted at a cheaper price than Curry's. I also popped into my local Curry's today for a camera lens, that I was willing to pay £200 for. They tried fobbing me off with the previous model now discontinued & ex display for £140. I got back home and found a supplier on Ebay selling the up to date model of the lens full UK product with Canon warranty for £110, so I ordered it from there, saving myself £90 in the process. You get shops moaning about online shoppers, well no sympathy from me if they cannot be arsed to employ competent staff.
  • jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    My Mam wanted a new laptop and saw one in Currys, so she reserved it and I went to pick it up for her, I was in their ages while they bombarded me with the hard sell for extended warranties, set up service, after care service, god knows I can't remember it all, I just wanted to pay for the thing. They brought the laptop to the tills, then the assistant says 'we'll just go over to this desk to put the sale through' I was sat there for well over 20 minutes while he tried to sell me stuff, and also try to scare me into their own set up service, saying that one wrong key press while setting up would render the laptop useless and because they hadn't set it up for me, there would be no come back, luckily I have set many a laptop up, so knew that was bollocks. But there are a lot of people who don't know these things. I would never ever buy anything from the store again. Online, yes, store no, too much hard sell
  • LeeahLeeah Posts: 20,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OPs story is similar to ours - I agree Curry's are a nightmare>:(
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have not used Currys for a while now, the last time was about 3 years back with a fridge freezer, but he last time I needed a new appliance I used ao.com {appliances online), that was buying a freezer.

You always get a better deal online even with currys, my next new appliance is a new cooker, I want one with a eye level grill, i will get it from AO.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    louise1966 wrote: »
    I didn't know Indesit has a 5 year warranty. and our last three have been this brand. Is it through the manufacturer? Because retailers don't advertise Indesit machines as coming with a 5 year warranty, so I think you may be mistaken.

It's on their website:

http://www.indesitservice.co.uk/repair-terms-and-conditions/
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    That doesn't surprise me in the least, I went in there a few months ago for a camera bag to reserve online & pick up in store, the website confirmed that my store had it in stock, I went to the store to pick it up, only to be told that particular bag had bin discontinued and that they could only offer me the next bag up which was a lot more expensive. I ended up going to Argos & buying the bag I wanted at a cheaper price than Curry's. I also popped into my local Curry's today for a camera lens, that I was willing to pay £200 for. They tried fobbing me off with the previous model now discontinued & ex display for £140. I got back home and found a supplier on Ebay selling the up to date model of the lens full UK product with Canon warranty for £110, so I ordered it from there, saving myself £90 in the process. You get shops moaning about online shoppers, well no sympathy from me if they cannot be arsed to employ competent staff.

Was that the Cannon lens with image stabilisation?

I was going to go for that but changed my mind.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was that the Cannon lens with image stabilisation?

I was going to go for that but changed my mind.

Yep that's the one was the 55-250 II IS. I tried the Tamron 70-300 & wasn't able to hold my camera correctly due to the weight of it, which then caused focusing problems even with the VC (Tamron's Image Stabilisation), switched on. So figured that the lighter option would be better & considering the cost for the Tamron new is about £280, I really don't see how the extra money should it be £80 difference in the shops or £170 online, is worth the little amount of extra reach.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,508
    Forum Member
    Lyricalis wrote: »

Which clearly says "12 month warranty" :confused:

They offer an optional 5 year PARTS guarantee, subject to registration - but this is pretty meaningless as they charge so much labour it swamps any advantage of free parts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yep that's the one was the 55-250 II IS. I tried the Tamron 70-300 & wasn't able to hold my camera correctly due to the weight of it, which then caused focusing problems even with the VC (Tamron's Image Stabilisation), switched on. So figured that the lighter option would be better & considering the cost for the Tamron new is about £280, I really don't see how the extra money should it be £80 difference in the shops or £170 online, is worth the little amount of extra reach.

I brought the Cannon 600d with double lens kit when it was on offer from Currys.

It came with a Cannon 75-300 lens as well as the 55 lens.

I use it to take the fox videos. I didn't think the other lens would be much of an upgrade.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I brought the Cannon 600d with double lens kit when it was on offer from Currys.

It came with a Cannon 75-300 lens as well as the 55 lens.

I use it to take the fox videos. I didn't think the other lens would be much of an upgrade.

How are you finding the 75-300, is an ultra steady hand needed or do you only use it on your tripod ?. Also which Mk is it ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    How are you finding the 75-300, is an ultra steady hand needed or do you only use it on your tripod ?. Also which Mk is it ?

The long lens is an EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III

I definitely have to use it with a tripod to get a steady picture, but once set up it is very nice.

There are videos in my 'This Year's Fox Cubs' thread in 'Pets' Forum that I've taken with the Cannon 600d and the long lens.

I got the Manfrotto MKC3-H01 Compact tripod, which has a quick release handle and is very good for aiming the camera. and only needs a finger and thumb to change the fixing wheel.

The camera and double lens kit was one of the best things I have brought from Currys, but they did try to sell an extended warranty, but I was a definite 'No Thanks'. :)
  • louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Update.
    Arranged delivery yesterday, lady said she would ensure an am delivery. I cannot stay in ll day, as I do work. She also said they would call one hour before. As unreliable as ever, I had to call to find out where it was. We don't deal with that, I was told on the contact number I was given. KnowHow is an absolute sham. The lady was so amiable and friendly, which obviously means nothing. Coincidentally, Dont Get Done Get Dom featured a case, involving KnowHow whatever happens plan, which accused a guy of lying about his damaged laptop. Scam artists. Thank goodness I didn't take this out.
  • Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    Was sceptical about their five year warrany, but it has paid for itself in spades.

Bought a top end oven from them and their extended (ongoing) warranty was £4 per month. (yes £240 seems steep, but when paid by DD each month it seems to be peanuts)

Grill on the oven packed on 2 weeks before the five year warranty ran out (I since discovered it was an ongoing warranty for as long as I paid the £4)

To cut a long story short it took them two goes to repair the grill (a £210 part according to the Electrolux site) then the electronic displays failed - possibly caused by incorrect fitting of the grill (which was complex and took nearly 2 hours)

When i called them they adviced me to call another number under there "reject a lemon" policy. As the oven would have required three repairs I was entitled to a replacement.

First thought was "yeah, right"

But I called and within four days a brand new, latest version of my oven worth £800 was delivered and installed.

The only downside is that to keep the warranty going I now have to pay £6 per month (which at £360 pounds for the five year (equivalent) warranty I have decided to go with.
    But, no catch
  • jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd bloody well hope that they actually do what they say they'd do with the extended warranty, or it really would be a scam - as against what I'd regard as a con.

My personal belief is that if I had the extended warranty on my fridge, freezer, cooker, cooker hood, hob, washing machine and dishwasher - I'd be paying more than just replacing one or even two appliances that failed early.

But the sales of goods act would most likely protect me for many faults, but this is something that might be harder to 'prove' than having a warranty. However, I'm willing to take the gamble and save all of those small £3-4 payments that would soon mount up.

Over the years, albeit at Comet where I used to shop more than Dixons or Currys, I've been hassled to buy a £9.99 extended warranty on both a £15 toaster and a £20 kettle. I didn't feel in the slightest bit rude by saying that if a £20 kettle broke after a couple of years, I'd buy another £20 kettle that day, not bother to try and make a warranty claim.

Argos and the like still seem to sell warranties on items of very little value. I can't believe people take them out, but they must!
  • FlyinBrickFlyinBrick Posts: 1,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan Sette wrote: »
    Was sceptical about their five year warrany, but it has paid for itself in spades.

Bought a top end oven from them and their extended (ongoing) warranty was £4 per month. (yes £240 seems steep, but when paid by DD each month it seems to be peanuts)

Grill on the oven packed on 2 weeks before the five year warranty ran out (I since discovered it was an ongoing warranty for as long as I paid the £4)

To cut a long story short it took them two goes to repair the grill (a £210 part according to the Electrolux site) then the electronic displays failed - possibly caused by incorrect fitting of the grill (which was complex and took nearly 2 hours)

When i called them they adviced me to call another number under there "reject a lemon" policy. As the oven would have required three repairs I was entitled to a replacement.

First thought was "yeah, right"

But I called and within four days a brand new, latest version of my oven worth £800 was delivered and installed.

The only downside is that to keep the warranty going I now have to pay £6 per month (which at £360 pounds for the five year (equivalent) warranty I have decided to go with.
    But, no catch

What part of the grill was faulty? It's mainly elements that go and I've never come across an element for that amount of money!
    They don't tend to be complex to fit either, seems a bit strange to me tbh.

I will concede though that the new electronics on Lux items are indeed shite, and therefore can fail just by being looked at with a hard stare.