Options

The Sandman appreciation thread

starman700starman700 Posts: 3,113
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Wow my first post in years ,so glad this forum has been created

Ok i would just like to dedicate this thread to Neil Gaiman`s finest ever creation Morpheus and his siblings the Endless

Since being introduced to this series by an ex in the 1990s i have never tired of it and my love for it grows yearly

Alltime fave characters have to be Death,Mervyn,Cain,Matthew,Delirium and Destruction

Comments

• Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Once The Endless are in your head it's impossible to shift them.

Some great books have been spun off from Sandman too:

Lucifer

Merv Pumpkinhead, Agent of D.R.E.A.M

Death, the High Cost of Living

and the two Dreaming books.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually met Neil Gaiman yesterday, bloody marvellous man. Signed my Sandman: Endless Nights "Sweet dreams.."

Finest comic book series ever written?

Yes.
  • Options
    Dave1979Dave1979 Posts: 1,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got my absolute sandman vol 1 signed the other day at the Edinburgh book festival. Bring on absolute Death. I have a Death tattoo on my leg.
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,964
    Forum Member
    I've never read Sandman partly because I thought it was some sort of horror comic and I'm not really into that. Am I right?
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mandark wrote: »
    I've never read Sandman partly because I thought it was some sort of horror comic and I'm not really into that. Am I right?

There are elements in it that wouldn't be out of place in a horror comic, indeed some of the characters are straight out of DC's horror titles.

But don't let that put you off, if it's anything, it's a fantasy title.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's an incredibly intelligent and literary piece of work! It fuses horror with typical comic book lore and folklore. It blends allegory, imagery and archetypes to produce a unique and beautiful mythos. It even won the World Fantasy Award for Best Short Fiction and therefore raised some controversy amongst the literary elitists.

Highly recommended!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've seen there are Absolute Sandman volumes. Vol1 seems to contain the very start of the saga. Is that right?!
  • Options
    Dave1979Dave1979 Posts: 1,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mandark wrote: »
    I've seen there are Absolute Sandman volumes. Vol1 seems to contain the very start of the saga. Is that right?!

It is - Get these if you ever see them in stock anywhere!

Amazon.com sometimes have them and there is 0% VAT on books and the duty limit is now £120 so you will be ok getting it through customs charge free.

Absolute Death is out soon as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Right thanks. Will check them out!