Options

Classic Fleetway "Baxendale" style in VIZ...

patpendingpatpending Posts: 1,621
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The latest issue of "not as funny as it used to be " "rude comic for grown-ups who really should know better" VIZ (checks number ) - no.189 (October) features a variation on the "character who wants to go to the lavatory" (ho ho) gag - in this case a policeman (chortle) "Copper Bolt".

The style is very, very similar to Leo Baxendale's original Sweeny Toddler and not so much like that of the other artists who took on that strip, Martin Baxendale (or if he didn't do Henry Dog, then it's not completely like Dracula Dobbs) or Tom Paterson's later strips.

Comic legend Tom Paterson's "Stupid Street" (out of Whoopee?) is very similar and I'd say it must be him were it not for the fact that I don't see his trademark sock.

It's never the artist of "Supervillain Dad" doing a completely different style is it?

Neither of the Baxendales nor Mr. Paterson is credited. Lew Stringer - Mr. Yampy - is, but I doubt it's him...

Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    Try the Comics UK Forum. I suspect you're more likely to get a response there, especially as Lew himself is a member. Link to the Viz sub-forum: http://www.comicsuk.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=143
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I posted the question there and it's been answered - it's Paul Palmer, the Sid the Sexist artist.

Thanks to Steve Henderson for the info.
  • Options
    patpendingpatpending Posts: 1,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JAS84 wrote: »
    Try the Comics UK Forum. I suspect you're more likely to get a response there, especially as Lew himself is a member. Link to the Viz sub-forum: http://www.comicsuk.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=143
    JAS84 wrote: »
    I posted the question there and it's been answered - it's Paul Palmer, the Sid the Sexist artist.

Thanks to Steve Henderson for the info.
    Thank you so much for your tip and asking the question for me, I'll join there.

Paul Palmer has done an excellent "jobbie" though I think this shows he could be really brilliant with the right subject matter!

I was just wondering on what forum I should enquire about 1980s hair gel? Just googled "Schwarzkopf NEWS" and got lots of hits relating to the US Army...D'oh!
  • Options
    Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A small note to the OP -
    How dare you diss the VIZ ?? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If you mean the "rude comic for grown-ups who really should know better" tagline, it's a Viz advertising slogan, so he wasn't dissing it. :p