Being prepared in case of nuclear war/attack/bomb

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    Mongodude wrote: »
    well staying indoors aint going to help, the gov will tell you to do that but your still going to die a painful and slow death from radiation sickness.
    better get building a bunker instead if you want to live :)

That's what my OH said - we have a garden with 3 tiers and he said we had better build a bunker in one the tiers "just in case" but I think he is winding me up
  • Dangerous.DaveDangerous.Dave Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not a bad idea really. I wish my wife was as well prepared.

There are some good sites that have good lists of stuff to prepare - foods, medicines, sw radio, batteries, water and so on.

Whether you go as far as preparing a "shelter" is up to you. A house with a basement or a lot of space under the floorboards would be helpful. Otherwise it could involve a lot of work.
  • blade_922blade_922 Posts: 2,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's what my OH said - we have a garden with 3 tiers and he said we had better build a bunker in one the tiers "just in case" but I think he is winding me up

You really think he is winding you up? Ask him...
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But the point is, everyone would be advised to stay indoors to not become poisoned by radioactive material that looting would not be possible without certain death/contamination

If you're close enough to the fallout that going to your local shops would result in certain death, then staying indoors is not going to help you.

That's why they don't build nuclear bunkers at surface level out of residential-grade bricks. :p
    Forum Member
    Helbore wrote: »
    If you're close enough to the fallout that going to your local shops would result in certain death, then staying indoors is not going to help you.

That's why they don't build nuclear bunkers at surface level out of residential-grade bricks. :p

You have just made me :D with that !!

I guess I am being a little irrational, if a nuclear bomb went off we are all doomed it seems :(
    Forum Member
    It's not a bad idea really. I wish my wife was as well prepared.

There are some good sites that have good lists of stuff to prepare - foods, medicines, sw radio, batteries, water and so on.

Whether you go as far as preparing a "shelter" is up to you. A house with a basement or a lot of space under the floorboards would be helpful. Otherwise it could involve a lot of work.

Yay someone who sees where I am coming from , thank you :)
    Forum Member
    Yeah, if there was a nuclear attack, I dont think a few bottles of Evian and some Tuc biscuits would be much good really.

I was thinking more like a bomb in London or something, so that if radio active stuff got into the pipes, the water would help for a few weeks. I understand if the country was to be involved in a full on nuclear war we have no hope
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    solarflare wrote: »
    You're doing this to survive nuclear attack, when really you should be doing this to survive zombie apocalypse.

Lol :D:D:D
  • stevensdrsstevensdrs Posts: 1,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My bunker has 400 gallons of water which is changed monthly. I don't think your 6 bottles will cut it,
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Besides, only a complete psycho would orchestrate a nuclear attack against the UK. We are prepared to retaliate if necessary in spades.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_weapons_and_the_United_Kingdom

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_Trident_programme
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,174
    Forum Member
    You're doing this to survive nuclear attack, when really you should be doing this to survive zombie apocalypse.

I agree. People just don't take this seriously enough.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member

Indeed, that's the bigger danger right there.
    (DAMN though, you beat me to it).
    Forum Member
    jra wrote: »
    Besides, only a complete psycho would orchestrate a nuclear attack against the UK. We are prepared to retaliate if necessary in spades.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_weapons_and_the_United_Kingdom

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_Trident_programme

Do you not think even Al-Quida would though? Given they dont seem afraid of dying so would not fear a retaliation?
    Forum Member
    I was thinking more like a bomb in London or something, so that if radio active stuff got into the pipes, the water would help for a few weeks. I understand if the country was to be involved in a full on nuclear war we have no hope

6 bottles of water isn't going to last you and the family very long, maybe a day. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmmmm, well when the Japanese nuclear plants were in danger of exploding, the Americans were reported to have been buying these anti-radioactive tablets, water, tinned food in their droves. I just thought I'd get in early. Sainsbury's would be packed if a bomb went off/was likely, and I think I have beaten the panic.

This is just so sweet. :)
  • You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good idea is to get used to the taste of rat.
    Forum Member
    6 bottles of water isn't going to last you and the family very long, maybe a day. :)

But I am buying 6 big bottles each time I go shopping. I have 3 packs so far, so 18 large bottles of evian :)
  • MrIncredibleMrIncredible Posts: 5,034
    Forum Member
    I agree. People just don't take this seriously enough.

I play resident evil regularly, just for practice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,174
    Forum Member
    I watch Shaun Of The Dead as often as possible.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Do you not think even Al-Quida would though? Given they dont seem afraid of dying so would not fear a retaliation?

Besides Al-Quaeda not being what they were, since their 'leader' is dead and many of the main players have formed other terrorist groups/factions, no. I don't think even a terrorist organisation would risk launching a nuclear attack for fear of the possible consequences to themselves and many other people or even parts of the world. Also, bear in mind if that worst case scenario did ever happen the United States and Israel would be willing to help.
  • MrIncredibleMrIncredible Posts: 5,034
    Forum Member
    I watch Shaun Of The Dead as often as possible.

I also fire shotguns at the heads of passers by. Just so Im prepared.
  • BatchBatch Posts: 3,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't work out if this thread is a pi** take. It's got to be right?

Everyone knows the alien invasion is imminent. And I for one welcome our new Lizard overlords.
  • InsideKnowledgeInsideKnowledge Posts: 377
    Forum Member
    The attack will probably happen when you are out so all the preparation will be wasted.
    Forum Member
    But I am buying 6 big bottles each time I go shopping. I have 3 packs so far, so 18 large bottles of evian :)

Most health authorities recommend around 1.9-2 litres per person, per day and that's just for drinking. So for two weeks you'd need say 28 litres for each person. Factor in water for cooking and washing etc. then you better have a big cupboard to store all that water in :)
  • PinSarlaPinSarla Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm more worried about a zombie apocalypse, but then I've played Left 4 Dead so it should ge 1337.