ITV ratings crisis. What is going wrong?

Comments

• C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They've just put too many dramas on, particularly short run series and losing the Corrie lead-ins on Thursdays might not be helping either. I think they'd be doing better if they had run three 10x60' series in key slots for the autumn. Also, the BBC had a massive summer to promote their new dramas and frankly none of them are setting the ratings alight even with substantial promotion. Not as bad as Homefront of course. And New Tricks is down quite a bit I understand - probably not helped by facing drama competition on ITV1 as well.

Take Me Out was hit by Strictly. It was always going to be down a bit and given the demos it's probably a timeslot improvement for ITV compared to last year. But it's a sign of how few entertainment hits we've seen on either channel that this is considered one of the bigger ones in recent years.

Among the soaps ratings seem to be down across the board and I'm not sure Emmerdale or Corrie have anything more to worry about than Eastenders or Hollyoaks do at the moment. I understand that of the big 3, Eastenders is down the most year on year.

Monroe did fine - New Tricks is pretty much the BBC's biggest drama (might be Call The Midwife now?) so that landing on Mondays was always going to be an issue for ITV and limit their potential drama audience in that slot. Nothing will or ever was going to get 5m there until NT ends.
  • SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    C14E wrote: »
    They've just put too many dramas on, particularly short run series and losing the Corrie lead-ins on Thursdays might not be helping either. I think they'd be doing better if they had run three 10x60' series in key slots for the autumn. Also, the BBC had a massive summer to promote their new dramas and frankly none of them are setting the ratings alight even with substantial promotion. Not as bad as Homefront of course. And New Tricks is down quite a bit I understand - probably not helped by facing drama competition on ITV1 as well.
    Surely three dramas for 10 weeks would be really risky? Imagine if a show like Homefront launched with only 3million, as it did, and there were 9 weeks left of it. What would Itv do? Itv dramas have been rating much worse than BBC drama this Autumn, has anything new on Itv launched with more than 4.5million since summer?
    Take Me Out was hit by Strictly. It was always going to be down a bit and given the demos it's probably a timeslot improvement for ITV compared to last year. But it's a sign of how few entertainment hits we've seen on either channel that this is considered one of the bigger ones in recent years.
    TV Burp, even in its worst series last year, was more popular than Take Me Out last night. What use is it if a show only gets 3million even if it has good "demos".
    Among the soaps ratings seem to be down across the board and I'm not sure Emmerdale or Corrie have anything more to worry about than Eastenders or Hollyoaks do at the moment. I understand that of the big 3, Eastenders is down the most year on year.
    Emmerdale is just over one week away from its live episode. It should be rating better than 6.5million and many of its fans are complaining of poor quality.
    Monroe did fine - New Tricks is pretty much the BBC's biggest drama (might be Call The Midwife now?) so that landing on Mondays was always going to be an issue for ITV and limit their potential drama audience in that slot. Nothing will or ever was going to get 5m there until NT ends.
    Mothers Son got 4.5million against New Tricks last month so why did Monroe only get 3.3million? That is very bad, less than even some rubbish seedy relationship drama Itv was showing last month on Mondaus.
  • Iqbal_MIqbal_M Posts: 4,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's marketing issues, a good marketing department should be able to sell Bacon to a pig. ITV haven't been promoting or generating buzz around their shows this year, and ultimately that's what's probably causing the most issues not the lack of good programing, the lack of good marketing.

That bit made me:D:D:D.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what, you mean other than the recent summer of endless sport and the staple diet of crime/murder/spy series? Plus a channel simply called 'Dave'. Last night BBC 1 had 2 and a half hours of football alone, while BBC 2 had 2 hours devoted to the Beatles. On Channel 5 their whole evening was taken up with a war film and CSI shows. ITV 4 had a war film, a super bike event, a fishing show and a serial killer horror film. Lots for the grannies and housewives there.

Where did you get your screen name? Vauxhall 1964 means two things to me, either you were born in Vauxhall in 1964 or you like Vauxhall Victors?
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    I dont know if you follow ratings, but Itv have been in a ratings crisis this Autumn with lots of their shows rating very badly.

The X Factor has lost 2million viewers since last year.

New Dramas are launching with only 2-4million viewers instead of 5-7million they should be getting.

Most returning dramas are ratings worse than before. Medical series Monroe just got 3.5m last Monday, a very bad audience.

Champions League football has been getting just 3.5m for Man Utd matches even though in past they were ratings bankers.

Take Me Out got only 3million yesterday, not even close to 4.5m it used to get.

Red or Black for 3million last 7 weeks, terrible ratings for such an expensive show.

Emmerdale is getting less than 7million, very poor considering it has a massive week coming up in just over 7 days time.

Coronation Street spin offs only getting 2.5million, embarrassing for a show which used to get huge ratings for anything associated with it.

Why do you think viewers have switched off watching Itv last few months? Itv are in a ratings crisis at the moment and advertise agencies must be very concerned by Itv struggling to get the mass audiences which the BBC does or even Itv used to be capable of. What is going wrong?

Most of the statistics in this post are factually incorrect, generally looking at the ratings of 6 part series, taking the lowest rating one, and then rounding down, or comparing the group stage Champions League against the knock out stages,plus of course excluding all the hits ITV have had recently like Downton Abbey, The Chase, Paul O'Grady, Coronation Street beating EastEnders across practically every episode etc.

What drama has only launched with 2 million viewers by the way?
    Forum Member
    Andy23 wrote: »
    Most of the statistics in this post are factually incorrect, generally looking at the ratings of 6 part series, taking the lowest rating one, and then rounding down, or comparing the group stage Champions League against the knock out stages,plus of course excluding all the hits ITV have had recently like Downton Abbey, The Chase, Paul O'Grady, Coronation Street beating EastEnders across practically every episode etc.

What drama has only launched with 2 million viewers by the way?
    No these stats are not factually incorrect. I am not comparing group stage of Champions League to knockouts. Man Utd always normally get around 5million for even the group matches not 3.5million. Out of the dramas, The Scapegoat got 2million viewers. As I said, 2-4million is how nearly all of the Itv dramas have started with. 3million for Homefront and Last Weekend, 4million for Blecthley and Mrs Biggs.

The Chase isnt a hit. It was getting 4.5million against weak competition and XFactor after it which boosts its ratings. Without XFactor after it, it was only getting 3.3million in early September. Coronation Street beating EastEnders is nothing new, thats normal and should be expected.
  • SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The OP is being selective while wearing his rose-tinted BBC glasses. EastEnders is suffering a ratings "crisis" but it isn't mentioned here, nor is ITV's success on Sunday nights when they are trouncing BBC 1 with The X Factor Results & Downton Abbey.

The England international that is referred to was actually a World Cup qualifier against Moldova, and England were 3-0 up after 32 minutes. It's not surprising that people switched over to something else.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2142237/EastEnders-crisis-Dramatic-ratings-drop-viewers-desert-show.html

As for drama both BBC & ITV have their problems, one of the BBC's flagship Autumn dramas (The Paradise) has been panned by critics, with one describing it as "such a pastiche, it’s hard to see how [Victoria] Wood could manage to send it up any further".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/tv-and-radio-reviews/9566442/The-Paradise-BBC-One-review.html#
    Forum Member
    SouthCity wrote: »
    nor is ITV's success on Sunday nights when they are trouncing BBC 1 with The X Factor Results & Downton Abbey.
    XFactor Sunday shows are down 2million from last year. Downton Abbey is one of the few bright spots for Itv this entire Autumn.
    The England international that is referred to was actually a World Cup qualifier against Moldova, and England were 3-0 up after 32 minutes. It's not surprising that people switched over to something else.
    4million is still very low for an easy England win, normally gets over 5million even for easy England wins.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The OP is being selective while wearing his rose-tinted BBC glasses. EastEnders is suffering a ratings "crisis" but it isn't mentioned here, nor is ITV's success on Sunday nights when they are trouncing BBC 1 with The X Factor Results & Downton Abbey.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2142237/EastEnders-crisis-Dramatic-ratings-drop-viewers-desert-show.html

Also to be fair there is an anti football backlash caused by the olympics and a lot of people have sampled other sports.
  • realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Things are nowhere near as bad as some people on here are making out.

ITV are contractually obliged to show a live match from each round of Champions League fixtures. Watching a British team play against some side from Romania nobody has ever heard of was never going to bring in anything like the numbers a knock-out match against a big Spanish, Italian or German team would.

On ITV1, there are far fewer trashy programmes than there were a few years ago. There's only The X Factor (gradually declining) and I'm a Celeb left, while Red or Black may well be axed before long (actually, I wish they'd get rid of those talentless buffoons Ant & Dec completely, but that's another story).

The ITV1 of a few years ago wouldn't have commissioned the 'Exposure' series, for example. ITV News is better than it was a few years ago when the presenters spent half the programme walking around the set. The regional news would be better if the 6pm 'news hour' plans came into effect with 20 minute bulletins for the old regions. The dramas are more upmarket than they were, and I look forward to their sitcom efforts, which they promised us.

ITV4 is now one of my favourite channels. I thoroughly enjoy much of its sports coverage (although I wish they'd invest in more PDC darts and some proper snooker), along with old favourites like Minder etc...

ITV3 shows classic dramas and comedies, but let's not kid ourselves, there was plenty of rubbish on in the 1980s and 90s as well.

ITV2 isn't my cup of tea at all these days. It's just celebrity crap and repeats of soaps.

Talking of soaps, I've gone right off Coronation Street in the last few years. It needs to return to its roots, have a clearout of some of the dead wood, and avoid continuity errors (such as making out Betty inherited the Rovers from Annie but kept it a secret for decades).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being a longterm fan of Xfactor last year was the end.
    We heard all these reports the panel was going to be replaced with all new.
    Gary barlow as head judge is a mockery.

Its the same old sob stories acts that clearly wont be around in 6 months time just there to make a TV show.Its the same with DOI and all the other things they drag out year on year any hint of giving a show a massive refresh doesnt even come into the picture.ITV is basically Soaps and winging it till IAC.DOI BGT or XFactor appears.
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I might have missed something but the Barb chart suggests that current ITV ratings are the same as last year? Obviously there was a massive drop off during the olympics/paralympics but that has now rebounded.

It doesn't take a genius to predict that ITV's audience share is going to continually fall over the next decade. Younger audiences don't have the same experience of their parents of only having 4/5 channels to chose from and so 'brand loyalty' is going to collapse as people take advantage of the multiple different sources of entertainment available.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    DragonQ wrote: »
    Yeah their programming is just bad. They are fortunate that they still have sports rights cos that's all they're good at (IMO).

...thats very debatable!
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All ratings are down. ITV1 is perhaps more noticeable because BBC1 has a loyal "core viewership", one of the few channels that still does.
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moonburn wrote: »
    Being a longterm fan of Xfactor last year was the end.
    We heard all these reports the panel was going to be replaced with all new.
    Gary barlow as head judge is a mockery.

Its the same old sob stories acts that clearly wont be around in 6 months time just there to make a TV show.Its the same with DOI and all the other things they drag out year on year any hint of giving a show a massive refresh doesnt even come into the picture.ITV is basically Soaps and winging it till IAC.DOI BGT or XFactor appears.

I don't really watch reality tv and i'm not the typical demographic however I did get into X factor for a while. I'm generally a fan of pop music so I enjoyed watching a show which had fantastic production values, some good songs and a bit of drama. I'd always give the auditions a miss as I didn't see the point in watching poor singers however the final 10 was riveting.

However I eventually gave up on the show when I realised how rigged it was and how over the top the personal stories were becoming.
  • Cade FosterCade Foster Posts: 323
    Forum Member
    Havent watched Itv apart from the odd drama for years, It is a very poor chanel even the news is poor and I think people are finally realising it.

They need to start investing money in proper tv shows like dramas, documentries comedy ect rather than the reality shows they produce.

They need to stop paying simon cowell outrages sums for tired old shows and get people to come out with new ideas.

In the UK at least for his brand Cowell needs ITV as he would not get the viewers on any other of the commercial channels available.
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont know if you follow ratings, but Itv have been in a ratings crisis this Autumn with lots of their shows rating very badly.

The X Factor has lost 2million viewers since last year.

New Dramas are launching with only 2-4million viewers instead of 5-7million they should be getting.

Most returning dramas are ratings worse than before. Medical series Monroe just got 3.5m last Monday, a very bad audience.

Champions League football has been getting just 3.5m for Man Utd matches even though in past they were ratings bankers.

Take Me Out got only 3million yesterday, not even close to 4.5m it used to get.

Red or Black for 3million last 7 weeks, terrible ratings for such an expensive show.

Emmerdale is getting less than 7million, very poor considering it has a massive week coming up in just over 7 days time.

Coronation Street spin offs only getting 2.5million, embarrassing for a show which used to get huge ratings for anything associated with it.

Why do you think viewers have switched off watching Itv last few months? Itv are in a ratings crisis at the moment and advertise agencies must be very concerned by Itv struggling to get the mass audiences which the BBC does or even Itv used to be capable of. What is going wrong?

You are one of the reasons I stopped posting in the Ratings thread. Most of your post above is either wrong, selective or misleading. In short you are a troll.

You have no understanding of what drives ad revenues for ITV; demographics and ABC1 share

The ratings thread today is mainly a trolling thread populated mainly by kids, the lonley and people posting their same crackpot theories every other day as if repetition makes them any more credible.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    All ratings are down. ITV1 is perhaps more noticeable because BBC1 has a loyal "core viewership", one of the few channels that still does.

I think you'll find a lot of that 'core' are people who still haven't figured out there are buttons on their remote other than '1'. :cool:
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=ITV.L&t=1y&l=on&z=m&q=l&c=

Crisis my backside! The ITV share price is close to a 5 year high
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    I've always found ITV Daybreak aimed at women and 9 year olds. Unfortunately BBC Radio 5 has gone the same way, they brought in more female presenters to cover "women's stuff" which is basically stuff about depression, periods, breast feeding or celebrities.

I do agree with the comment that women generally don't like this sort of brain dead programming aimed at them, when Radio 5 started out it was called "Radio bloke" yet had a lot of women listening as it tended to cover politics and sport.

Also, Top Gear which is supposed to be the male version of Loose Women (so the media say) isn't anything like Loose Women. Loose Women from what I've seen of it basically slags men off all the time. Top Gear has an almost 50/50 male female audience and is one of the worlds top selling shows and they don't spend their time slagging off women.

Women seem to be unable to make a show that doesn't involve slagging men off.

Going back to ITV, the adverts are also crap, years ago the adverts were well made and often very clever, the old VW adverts, the old Peugeot adverts, the British Airways adverts were some of the classics.

Now they are designed to be annoying, repetitive and are poorly made. ITV are just showing the symptoms of an obsession with the media to target women whilst ignoring men. Perhaps we men are simply less likely to complain, after all you see plenty of adverts on ITV showing men as dumb and incompetent, but I can't think of one that does the opposite.
  • henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No these stats are not factually incorrect. I am not comparing group stage of Champions League to knockouts. Man Utd always normally get around 5million for even the group matches not 3.5million.

The possible reasons why Man United got fewer viewers for their first group stage match which was on ITV would include (from most to least likely):

1. They're in a group with three largely uninteresting other teams;

2. Man United are not as interesting as in previous years;

3. The other English team that has been playing at the same time on Sky is more interesting, relative to Man United, than in recent years;

4. a general disillusion amongst fans with football;

.....96 other possible reasons....

101. fans are actively choosing not to watch the matches because they are on ITV, and they harbour some lingering resentment towards the channel because Red and Black is a pile of rubbish.
    Forum Member
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    You are one of the reasons I stopped posting in the Ratings thread. Most of your post above is either wrong, selective or misleading. In short you are a troll.

You have no understanding of what drives ad revenues for ITV; demographics and ABC1 share

The ratings thread today is mainly a trolling thread populated mainly by kids, the lonley and people posting their same crackpot theories every other day as if repetition makes them any more credible.
    These stats are all true and I will go through all the points I made in detail to prove this:

XFactor has lost 2million from last year: this series is averaging 8.5million, last years was averaged 10.5m. New Dramas are launching with only 2-4million. Here are Itv drama ratings for 1st episodes since summer: The Last Weekend [3.2m], Homefront [3.1m], Leaving [3.7m], Mrs Biggs [3.8m], 13 Steps [4m], Blethcley Circle [4.1m], Scapegoat [2m], Mothers Son [4.5m]. So almost all those new dramas have begun with 2-4m.

Most returning dramas are ratings worse than before: Monroe got 3.3m, series 1 opener got 5.9m. Midsomer Murders latest episode got 4.0m, previous episodes would get 5m. Only Downton abbey rating better. Bad football ratings: Man Utd match got 3.5m, last year Man Utd matches never got worse than 4.5m. England match in early September got 4m, last year got 6m.

Take Me Out got only 3million yesterday: previous series got 4.9m. Red or Black: 3.4million for series 2 according to DS. This is very bad for high budget show. Emmerdale is getting less than 7million: hasnt managed to get 7million in months even though live episode is under 2 weeks away. Coronation Street spin off rating badly: 2.5million last week and less than 3.5m for other episodes.

These are all stats which you can find on www.BARB.co.uk or Digital Spy TV Ratings. So you tell me now George, which part of my post was wrong or you think I made up :confused:?
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=ITV.L&t=1y&l=on&z=m&q=l&c=

Crisis my backside! The ITV share price is close to a 5 year high
    This thread is clearly titled Ratings Crisis. We're not discussng Itv's share prices or if the company overall is in crisis, we are discussing the ratings crisis. Itv's shares have increased not due to ratings being better but because tv advertising market is much stronger now than recession hit 2008-2010 and Studios division has been improved. Their share price however is still lower than 2007.
  • SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This thread is clearly titled Ratings Crisis. The share price is something else. Itv's shares have increased not necessarily due to ratings but because tv advertising market is much stronger now than recession hit 2008-2010. Their share price however is still lower than 2007.

Aren't we still in a recession?

ITV's share price is rising because Norman, Crozier & Fincham are making the right strategic decisions. The financial results give the true picture, not the ratings of a few isolated shows:

http://www.itvplc.com/media/news/itv-plc-interim-results-2012

Crisis- what crisis?
    Forum Member
    Crisis- what crisis?
    Im not saying Itv as a company or business is in crisis. The title of the thread is clear: Itv's ratings crisis. The ratings are very bad just now.
  • mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    Sinple, damaged brand