Feral cat - How do i catch one?

sleepybellesleepybelle Posts: 177
Forum Member
Kids came home yesterday and told me about 6 little kittens
plus their mother living in a hedge, long story short is after ringing round for a long time I actually rang a vet for a bit of advice on what to do and she told me to bring the kittens + mother over to her. I don't think this is gonna be easy but i'll give it a damn good try. Any helpful tips?

Comments

• ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you tried Cats Protection?
    Otherwise I think you may struggle to get them all - obviously you don't want to risk any kittens being left alone.
  • sleepybellesleepybelle Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    Shrike wrote: »
    Have you tried Cats Protection?
    Otherwise I think you may struggle to get them all - obviously you don't want to risk any kittens being left alone.

Exactly my far but im hoping to get a big enough posse so that we can concentrate on one each. Cat's protection couldn't help.
  • tom_domutoatom_domutoa Posts: 425
    Forum Member
    The vet will charge you know, all they see is pound signs. One mum, 6 kittens that a lot of injections.
  • dollymariedollymarie Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The cats won't charge you if they're stray.

Can you get some sort of box/trap to put the kittens in, and then catch mum that way?

Vet may lend you one, or google your local voluntary rescue places and they will help I'm sure.

RSPCA will be useless just as a heads up
    Forum Member
    dollymarie wrote: »
    The cats won't charge you if they're stray.

Can you get some sort of box/trap to put the kittens in, and then catch mum that way?

Vet may lend you one, or google your local voluntary rescue places and they will help I'm sure.

RSPCA will be useless just as a heads up

Vets do this for free?:eek: No way!!
  • dollymariedollymarie Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they believe them to be stray then yes. They have a duty of care.
    Forum Member
    dollymarie wrote: »
    If they believe them to be stray then yes. They have a duty of care.

I am not entirely sure that you are right. Vets will probably work for free or for reduced rates for shelters and charities.

But a member of public bringing in 7 strays is a lot of work for what is after all a business. And open to abuse by claiming a pet is a stray.

The Op should ask the vet first before collecting the strays.

The best option is...they are strays let them be there if they are healthy. or else they may belong to someone and it would be catnapping if forcibly collected.
  • radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sleepybelle.
    Where would you house mum & 6 kittens ?
    Be prepared for large vets bills over time.
    So far we have paid out several hundreds of euros [ we live in Rhodes, Greece ]
    We have 6 feral cats plus one kitten right now.
    A large cage was bought to keep them outside overnight
    Forum Member
    After ringing round all the animal shelters with no joy. I spoke to one helpful girl and she give me this vets name and number so I think they must take in strays sometimes. I spoke to the girl on reception and explained the situation when she came back she told me she had pulled on the heart strings of a few of them and they had agreed to let me bring the cats in, I didn't get the impression they were going to charge me. Last night I went up with a tent and left blankets and food, today when I went up the were all in the tent so im thinking maybe I could just grab the tent.
  • CaptainObvious_CaptainObvious_ Posts: 3,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After ringing round all the animal shelters with no joy. I spoke to one helpful girl and she give me this vets name and number so I think they must take in strays sometimes. I spoke to the girl on reception and explained the situation when she came back she told me she had pulled on the heart strings of a few of them and they had agreed to let me bring the cats in, I didn't get the impression they were going to charge me. Last night I went up with a tent and left blankets and food, today when I went up the were all in the tent so im thinking maybe I could just grab the tent.

My Jess came to us from the vets after we saw their advert in the paper (she was abandoned with her brothers & sisters) :)

goodluck cat catching!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You will need a trap for sure too catch mum and kittens. But you should never leave the trap alone. RSPCA should loan you a trap or a local rescue centre will but the deposit will vary from £10 up too £70. If you grab them they could run and you can do more good than bad. If there feral they will almost probaly spit at you. Plus don't go with lots of people this will almost certainly scare them off. Also the night before you try too trap them don't feed them either. I know this seems odd but if there hungry they will go into the trap better. You will need the minimum of two carriers with you possibly 3. Be prepared too too catch all at the same time as well. But don't leave any kittens with out mum. If you catch a kitten put the carrier near the back of the trap and the mum or others should come too the crys. If you need any help ie getting a trap or help please pm me and I will see what help there is in your area
    Forum Member
    Maisey Moo wrote: »
    You will need a trap for sure too catch mum and kittens. But you should never leave the trap alone. RSPCA should loan you a trap or a local rescue centre will but the deposit will vary from £10 up too £70. If you grab them they could run and you can do more good than bad. If there feral they will almost probaly spit at you. Plus don't go with lots of people this will almost certainly scare them off. Also the night before you try too trap them don't feed them either. I know this seems odd but if there hungry they will go into the trap better. You will need the minimum of two carriers with you possibly 3. Be prepared too too catch all at the same time as well. But don't leave any kittens with out mum. If you catch a kitten put the carrier near the back of the trap and the mum or others should come too the crys. If you need any help ie getting a trap or help please pm me and I will see what help there is in your area

Great, thanks Maisy. Im very nervous about this but im gonna try my best. Also when I went up yesterday the kittens are up and walking about they appear to be around 8/9 weeks old plus the mother cat didn't become anyway aggressive when I got close with the food she seemed more frightened im just wondering is she feral or has she been put out on the street.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keep putting food out at the same time each night. She could be a own cat that's either dumped or lost, she will be frieghtend and that's when they can lash out. That's why you do need a trap. Also if you do have other cats and are taking them in yourself they will have too be totally kept away from them for at least two weeks,
    Forum Member
    Keep putting food out at the same time each night. She could be a own cat that's either dumped or lost, she will be frieghtend and that's when they can lash out. That's why you do need a trap. Also if you do have other cats and are taking them in yourself they will have too be totally kept away from them for at least two weeks,

Yes I do have a cat or I would have tried to bring them here last night, I was hoping to catch them and bring them to the vets straight away
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My friend works for the Cat Protection League. She is frequently called to help trap feral cats. Very often mothers with kittens as in your case. She looks after them all until cats are old enough to be neutered. They are then taken to vets where they get a discount neutering and released again.

Ring your local CPL and I'm sure they'll help you.
    Forum Member
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    My friend works for the Cat Protection League. She is frequently called to help trap feral cats. Very often mothers with kittens as in your case. She looks after them all until cats are old enough to be neutered. They are then taken to vets where they get a discount neutering and released again.

Ring your local CPL and I'm sure they'll help you.

I rang them this morning, they were worse than useless couldn't wait to get me off the phone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cats protection will help but some don't deal with ferals or semi ferals. They won't go out at odd hours too catch them
    Forum Member
    Cats protection will help but some don't deal with ferals or semi ferals. They won't go out at odd hours too catch them

I'm actually gonna try them again this smorning, maybe when they hear I have somewhere for the kittens to go they might be more helpful.
    Forum Member
    Im pretty worried, went up to feed the mother and she's sitting outside the tent with 2 kittens 1 kitten looks sick and there's no movement in the tent from the others. I can't get at them because of where they're situated I have to go to the next door garden and push things through the hedge. Just waiting for Cpl to open failing that I think im going to contact the local paper, which is out tomorrow, asking for help.
    Forum Member
    Ok, things starting to move a bit. I have got one of the kittens the are quite big im going down to my vet at 2.30 if she tells me she needs her mother I will release her again. Belfast City Council have agreed to trap the rest of the cats(only got the call when I had the kitten) for me so long as I take them. Rang the vet who agreed to take them and have sent a picture of the one I have so they are putting the pics up now in their surgery to get them re-homed. Maisie Moo thanks for all your help.
    Forum Member
    Story has changed slightly but still good news. It doesn't come under Belfast city council remit but girl who works there knows a woman who does traps cats and she has agreed to take them and get them re-homed. I'm going to go up and release this little one I have because they have already been at the property an are setting the traps tomorrow. People have been so good and im absolutely delighted.
  • radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sleepybelle
    So, you dont have anywhere for these cats
    Why did you get involved ?
    You should have just left them
    Now you are trying to pass them on to some one else
    Forum Member
    Are you kidding me? As long as im not passing of to you don't worry about!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done for caring. Not many people would do it for ferals
    Forum Member
    Well done for caring. Not many people would do it for ferals
    RSPCA advice is to leave feral cats alone.
    If they are healthy it is no ones business.
    Cats are allowed to be wild and there are many wild colonies in the UK.
    If the vets or charities can't find homes they will be put down. How does it help them