Options

Man wants to change his foriegn surname..

woofwoof77woofwoof77 Posts: 2,166
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just wanted to know other peoples opinions on this .

A male family member wants to change his foreign surname to give him a better chance of finding work here. He is british born,british looking, middle aged,hasn't worked in 6 yrs and has to live with parents due to lack of money.
He believes this is partly due to his foreign surname and believes that employers take one look at his foreign surname and just ignore him. Do you think this is really happening in this country?

His dad says if he changes his surname to something more 'english' it may actually disadvantage him as he believes a lot of employers prefer foreign workers. I don't know what to think but if he does change his name WW3 might happen here =/

Do you think its any of his dads business if he does change his name? Just we've had heated row after row about it.

Anyway, just wanted peoples opinions =/

Comments

• Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    People did this all the time in the old days. Geldschmied became Goldsmith.
  • Options
    ViridianaViridiana Posts: 8,017
    Forum Member
    I have a foreign surname, never had any problems.
  • Options
    HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends on what his foreign surname is. If it's Hitler I'd recommend a change.
  • Options
    RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If a middle-aged man wants to change his name, it's his business and nobody else's. His dad's probably feeling like he'll "lose a son" or something, but he obviously won't. Women change their names all the time and they're still offspring of their parents. Sounds to me like his dad wants his name passing down the generations via his son.

Regarding work, to be honest if the son hasn't had any negative feedback about his name being a barrier to employment, then I can't see why he'd want to change it. Maybe if it makes him feel better he could Anglicise it a little (like some did back in WWI and II, Schmidt to Smith etc).
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    Relly wrote: »
    ,,,Maybe if it makes him feel better he could Anglicise it a little (like some did back in WWI and II, Schmidt to Smith etc).

Or Saxe-Coburg-Gotha to Windsor.
  • Options
    Apple grapeApple grape Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    Employers are more interested in his capabilities of doing the job other then the surname
  • Options
    RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard46 wrote: »

Haha! :D
  • Options
    welsh_Elwelsh_El Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good luck to him.
  • Options
    welsh_Elwelsh_El Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Good point. X
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    This research is just over three years old but it clearly indicated that Asian and African names where an employment disadvantage.
  • Options
    dreadnoughtdreadnought Posts: 1,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People did this all the time in the old days. Geldschmied became Goldsmith.

Researching my family tree we found our surname was French, my Huguenot ancestors anglicised it after fleeing to England.
  • Options
    bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This research is just over three years old but it clearly indicated that Asian and African names where an employment disadvantage.

although it doesn't indicate why the discrimination was taking place

i.e. it's quite possible that it's cultural differences that some employers are wary of rather than skin colour. although it says that the applications indicated that all candidates where born and raised in the UK, that doesn't mean they where raised within what the employers might regard as a traditional UK culture.

another success for 'multi culturalism'
  • Options
    pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, good, I was going to try and dig that out but only had a vague memory of it!

Yeah, in some situations it definitely makes sense. All initial CV sorting should be done blind, without any personal info, I think.
  • Options
    pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bspace wrote: »
    although it doesn't indicate why the discrimination was taking place

i.e. it's quite possible that it's cultural differences that some employers are wary of rather than skin colour. although it says that the applications indicated that all candidates where born and raised in the UK, that doesn't mean they where raised within what the employers might regard as a traditional UK culture.

another success for 'multi culturalism'
    That doesn't make any difference to the question of whether this guy would be better off changing his name.
  • Options
    3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woofwoof77 wrote: »

A male family member wants to change his foreign surname to give him a better chance of finding work here. He is british born,british looking, middle aged,hasn't worked in 6 yrs and has to live with parents due to lack of money.
    He believes this is partly due to his foreign surname and believes that employers take one look at his foreign surname and just ignore him. Do you think this is really happening in this country?

I'm sure it does happen, but it would depend on the origin of the name.

I used to work in a department where we had to give out our surnames to customers as well as first names. Most of the foreigners either refused or changed it to something more English-sounding.

It could just be this guy needs to go on a course and update his skills to become more employable. Six years is a long time. I'm not saying it is his fault, but sometimes bosses cannot get passed how long a person has been without a job and this could be the issue more than his name.

If I were him I soldier on and keep my name.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 237
    Forum Member
    Even if you have a British name it does not mean anything as lots of actual foreign people have changed their name.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I know someone that did this and it definitely made a difference.

Under his 'foreign' sounding (first) name he didn't have much luck, work-wise. Upon changing his name, legally by deed poll, he had no trouble whatsoever.
  • Options
    Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When my wife's family all came over from Ireland a lot of them worked on dropping their accent due to predujice they experienced. Whilst some people are different, some others will despise them for it.
  • Options
    kiviraatkiviraat Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a foreign surname but I find it's more of a talking point than a hindrance. One person at my old job did start moaning about "incomers like me" taking all the jobs when he seen my name written down. He said this to my partners dad who promptly corrected his assumptions (he didn't know Mr Kivi's dad knew me). He was a miserable prick anyway :D I was also told by one woman "oh it's okay, you can just change your surname when you get married". She got very confused when I said I WAS married but decided to keep my own name.

If he wants to change his name, then it's up to him, but it's a shame that he feels that way. To not get a job in six years kind of says to me that there's some other issue here. That's an awful lot of potential employers who are being accused.
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I changed my name from Mrs Workshytwat to Burton. It made a world of difference.
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woofwoof77 wrote: »

His dad says if he changes his surname to something more 'english' it may actually disadvantage him as he believes a lot of employers prefer foreign workers. I don't know what to think but if he does change his name WW3 might happen here =/

Do you think its any of his dads business if he does change his name? Just we've had heated row after row about it.

Anyway, just wanted peoples opinions =/
    Yes I do know it happens in this country, my husband was recently out of work and on two occasions when he went for interviews (one was actually at the job centre, with job centre people) they came out to the point and said they wanted to employ British people and keep out the Eastern Europeans.

Eta, I don't know if they used the surname to discriminate or what, but that's what he was told twice.
  • Options
    super-eaglesuper-eagle Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It depends . Does your friend want to apply for low skilled jobs ? Then he should keep his current name.
  • Options
    3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I do know it happens in this country, my husband was recently out of work and on two occasions when he went for interviews (one was actually at the job centre, with job centre people) they came out to the point and said they wanted to employ British people and keep out the Eastern Europeans.

Eta, I don't know if they used the surname to discriminate or what, but that's what he was told twice.

I'm sure a lot of 2nd/3rd generation people with surnames that sound Polish and similar have the same issue.

It's not right that it happens, but I can sort of see the logic.
  • Options
    irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    God I couldn't think of any situation where I would want to change my surname - if a company would not employ me because it sounded "foreign" I wouldn't want to work for them anyway. Your surname is part of who you are and who you belong to.
  • Options
    McMahauldMcMahauld Posts: 1,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Good move though!

I mean, a 'Carry On!' movie starring Barbara Saxe-Coburg-Gotha
    and Sid James just wouldn't sound right.