Options

Can someone explain jury service?

Comments

• Options
    JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Galaxy266 wrote: »
    rt for doing this they claim absolutely nothing was done about it!

I guess that, as they always call for more people then they actually need, if one or two decide not to come along it doesn't really matter too much, so they don't bother to take any action over it.
    Don't think that's true, you'll get a £1000 fine if you don't turn up.

Either way I wouldn't risk getting fined that much.
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PrincessTT wrote: »
    What about police officers or judges or prison officers?

What about if a member of your family works for the police but isn't actually a copper, they work as civilian support staff?
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about police officers or judges or prison officers?

not exempt.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1458545/Fewer-now-exempt-from-jury-service.html
  • Options
    rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
    Forum Member
    And if you didn't turn up based on that info, you'd be in contempt of court! Not valid reasons!
    Well that's ridiculous I can't leave my child alone that would be neglect. And re the work thing the company would go bust and I would become unemployed and I would have to claim housing benefit as another job I would only be able to work school hours so would not be able to afford my flat on a part time wage.
  • Options
    PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that's ridiculous I can't leave my child alone that would be neglect. And re the work thing the company would go bust and I would become unemployed and I would have to claim housing benefit as another job I would only be able to work school hours so would not be able to afford my flat on a part time wage.
    Who else might be excused?

Anyone who feels they have special circumstances such as women having severe morning sickness, expecting a baby imminently, a very new mum or one who is breastfeeding a small baby.
    Someone with very young children they are looking after and perhaps very elderly relatives and other onerous caring duties, or whose job would be severely affected and/or whose livelihood long-term could be jeopardised – such as the running of a small business – or someone who is ill. These people should make their circumstances known.
    Cases will be considered on their individual merits but good reasons will be considered.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/consumertips/10273024/What-are-your-options-if-summoned-to-jury-duty.html

Regarding the childcare I *think* you'd be expected to find a childminder and then the costs would be reimbursed.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ........... Worst is when you then find out the accused had other accusations against him that the jury weren't allowed to be told about! ..........

Don't you feel that not knowing about them is a good thing, otherwise the knowledge might affect your judgement?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/consumertips/10273024/What-are-your-options-if-summoned-to-jury-duty.html

Regarding the childcare I *think* you'd be expected to find a childminder and then the costs would be reimbursed.
    Not as simple as it sounds though. Work thing aside here, would the childminder come to my house and take my daughter to school and pick her up again. Or would I have to drop her off there on a morning which would be difficult if they didn't live near a bus route.
  • Options
    PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not as simple as it sounds though. Work thing aside here, would the childminder come to my house and take my daughter to school and pick her up again. Or would I have to drop her off there on a morning which would be difficult if they didn't live near a bus route.

Well in the event that you did get called up you'd have to look around and find a childcare provider that best suited your needs...

I know its difficult, if I got called up for jury duty it would be a nightmare as I have a 4 yr old in school and a 2 yr old in part-time nursery 2 miles apart so finding someone to do the necessary travelling to get them both dropped off and picked up on time would be costly, but from what I've read having school-age children is not a valid reason for being exempt.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well in the event that you did get called up you'd have to look around and find a childcare provider that best suited your needs...

I know its difficult, if I got called up for jury duty it would be a nightmare as I have a 4 yr old in school and a 2 yr old in part-time nursery 2 miles apart so finding someone to do the necessary travelling to get them both dropped off and picked up on time would be costly, but from what I've read having school-age children is not a valid reason for being exempt.
    Ridiculous still. She also goes to my Mums on a Friday after school for the weekend, I doubt the childminder would agree to the 90 min round trip it takes either.
  • Options
    mike joycemike joyce Posts: 1,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ridiculous still. She also goes to my Mums on a Friday after school for the weekend, I doubt the childminder would agree to the 90 min round trip it takes either.

Never mind all that. Just get yourself to court.
  • Options
    Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Swipe wrote: »
    I can't believe there a cap on claiming for loss of earnings. I'd be well out of pocket.

There definitely is, I was called about 10 -12 years back, I can't remember what the allowance was, but it was a pittance.
    I took a letter from my accountant to the court, it stated that I was self-employed, and had declared earnings of approx. £150.00 per day for the previous year, and had paid Schedule D tax on that amount accordingly.
    No dice was their reply, you are doing your civic duty, for which you'll receive about enough for a coffee and a sandwich daily, plus fares to and from court.
    I got round it by working when the court day was over, fortunately I could do my job then at any time of the day or night.
    It didn't suit me to work that way, but I had no choice, I was used to eating in the best restaurants and drinking fine wines.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Something to remember.

If the defence don't claim that the defendant has a clean record, it's because he hasn't. :p
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd quite like to do it depending on the case but that aside it's my civic duty regardless. I can't think of a better way of doing things.

I could probably get out of it on various counts but I wouldn't want to.

Interestingly, sortition (the random selection of a panel) was the way original Greek democracy worked. Politicians were everyday people who were picked at random, served a set term and then went back to their normal lives. As they were all from the general population it made things representative.

The Greeks thought the idea of a 'career politician' with special interests was ludicrous and defeated the objective of representative democracy :cool: How far we've come eh?

ETA: Just another little nugget: Last I heard, something like 50% of all people who are called up to jury service end up sitting on TV Licensing cases for the sole reason that the sheer number of these cases dominates the time of the courts, comparatively to every other type of case.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    have they lifted the ban on nutters for jury service yet?
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They don't think people got a live and that people just drop things and do Jury service.
    this is why I have said they should have a list of people who are willing to do jury service if they want to keep the system. People should not be forced to do it.

I don't see the point in forcing people if they don't want to be there anyway, surly they would not participate in full?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    I'd quite like to do it depending on the case but that aside it's my civic duty regardless. I can't think of a better way of doing things.

I could probably get out of it on various counts but I wouldn't want to.

Interestingly, sortition (the random selection of a panel) was the way original Greek democracy worked. Politicians were everyday people who were picked at random, served a set term and then went back to their normal lives. As they were all from the general population it made things representative.

The Greeks thought the idea of a 'career politician' with special interests was ludicrous and defeated the objective of representative democracy :cool: How far we've come eh?

ETA: Just another little nugget: Last I heard, something like 50% of all people who are called up to jury service end up sitting on TV Licensing cases for the sole reason that the sheer number of these cases dominates the time of the courts, comparatively to every other type of case.

Be no good me sitting on one of those cases then, I would say not guilty as soon as I know what it is.

As for civic duty as I said before, load of rubbish, civic my foot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Galaxy266 wrote: »
    If they ever called me to sit on a jury then I know I'd just fall asleep during the proceedings, I know I would!

Posters have previously said on DS they have been summoned for jury service and just haven't turned up. Although, technically, they would be in contempt of court for doing this they claim absolutely nothing was done about it!

I guess that, as they always call for more people then they actually need, if one or two decide not to come along it doesn't really matter too much, so they don't bother to take any action over it.

I think they ignored the summons, I have heard of people doing that and nothing was done. No prove they received it.
    Not saying you should ignore it if you get one, just saying that some people have.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    Can you take a book to read?

Yes you can take a book or tablet or computer or mobile which can keep you occupied during the long waits in the waiting area. But you need to put them in a locker before you get called into a courtroom. They usually keep you for 2 weeks. You do get paid expenses (travel and food etc. ) and small amount for your time.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you want the right to a trial by jury, you have the responsibility to sit on one if asked.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    Yes you can take a book or tablet or computer or mobile which can keep you occupied during the long waits in the waiting area. But you need to put them in a locker before you get called into a courtroom.

When I did jury service people used their phones, tablets and laptops right up to the point of being called into the courtroom, then just switched them off and put them away. The only exception was when we retired to the jury room, when we had to give our mobiles to the usher for safe keeping until we finished for the day.

People were clearly working whilst waiting to be called into court - making work-related calls, answering emails etc.
  • Options
    littleboolittleboo Posts: 1,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    They don't think people got a live and that people just drop things and do Jury service.
    this is why I have said they should have a list of people who are willing to do jury service if they want to keep the system. People should not be forced to do it.

I don't see the point in forcing people if they don't want to be there anyway, surly they would not participate in full?

If you have a list that you opt in to, you immediately star to rule out sections of society, working mums with young children, the self employed, people in jobs where the company doesn't pay while they are on jury service and so on. You'll end up with a jury of middle class retired men, which is hardly representative of society.
    I think its perfectly reasonable to expect anyone to do it at least once in their lifetime. You're not expected to "drop" anything, you get appropriate notice and you make appropriate arrangements.
  • Options
    PrinceOfDenmarkPrinceOfDenmark Posts: 2,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's your problem though, not the court's.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You seem to be under the impression that the British judicial system should be run in such a way as to fit in around your domestic arrangements :confused:
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You seem to be under the impression that the British judicial system should be run in such a way as to fit in around your domestic arrangements :confused:

There probably should be a little more flexibility.

I think the system doesn't always understand it may be virtually impossible for a single mother with little money and no transport; for example.

It's all very well reimbursing expenses, childcare and the like but if the person hasn't the money in the first place...

In some cases it just may not be possible for the person to make arrangements.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    There probably should be a little more flexibility.

I think the system doesn't always understand it may be virtually impossible for a single mother with little money and no transport; for example.

It's all very well reimbursing expenses, childcare and the like but if the person hasn't the money in the first place...

In some cases it just may not be possible for the person to make arrangements.

It's a slippery slope though - if you start allowing such people to opt out then you will skew the jury pool such that it only contains wealthier people.