Loud car exhausts

woofwoof77woofwoof77 Posts: 2,166
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is it illegal to have one of those ridiculously loud exhausts on a car?

A man down the end of our road has one. DAY and NIGHT he is constantly up and down our road (its a pretty short road too) making a right bloody racket.
From 2am last night he was up and down , god knows where he kept going to .
Could actually feel the vibration of it on our house .
I think he woke up half the neighbourhood including me.

WHY!! Theres no need for it! It doesn't make you look cool
It doesn't make you look hard- it just makes you look like a d*ck .

Could I not report it anonymous?

Comments

• Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woofwoof77 wrote: »

A man down the end of our road has one. DAY and NIGHT he is constantly up and down our road (its a pretty short road too) making a right bloody racket.

There are legal limits to the amount of noise an exhaust makes. I would report it to your local police if you think its outrageously loud, it may be an illegally fitted one.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its a grey area. the noise has to b above a certain level to make it ilegal, and that level is quite high, it allows for many loud exhausts.
    so even tho u and maybe others find it loud that doesnt mean its actually so loud that its ilegal.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member

Yes because they won't name you anyway and the best thing to do is keep a log of the times over a week, it shows you have a genuine complaint and they may turn up at one of those times - failing that they'll just pop round the keeper's home some time so get the reg number as well.

They'll decide whether the exhaust is legal or not when they get to have a listen/look.
  • occyoccy Posts: 64,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Take reg number and Report it too VOSA to see if they have valid or dodgy MOT. Immissions might be the problem.
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They sound like a fart in a bean can.My Corsa 1.2 is actually a full on rally car!.:p
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    occy wrote: »
    Take reg number and Report it too VOSA to see if they have valid or dodgy MOT. Immissions might be the problem.

MOT's are all on computer these days, days of FIY jobbies are long gone.
    I pretty sure you can check for a vaIid MOT online anyway.
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I rev the hemi the entire county takes note. :D
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member

BIB, sounds cracking on overun though, if you're in the mood :)
    I used to seek out tree lined roads, so I could have the sound of overun bouncing back off the trees.
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to seek out tree lined roads, so I could have the sound of overun bouncing back off the trees.

Trees are good - but very near me there's a quarter-mile stretch of high, 17th century estate wall...with the same on the OTHER side of the road!

Now THAT is seriously good for the bike :D
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A 10 second squirt of this up the exhaust pipe 15 minutes after he's gone to bed will soon sort it!

http://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-expanding-foam-gun-grade-750ml/87934
  • Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trees are good - but very near me there's a quarter-mile stretch of high, 17th century estate wall...with the same on the OTHER side of the road!

Now THAT is seriously good for the bike :D

A tunnel is best if you can find one:D

If I lift off in 3rd at about 3,000 revs I can usually get a good pop or bang. More than once I've had a dog walker ducking for cover as it lets go.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    A 10 second squirt of this up the exhaust pipe 15 minutes after he's gone to bed will soon sort it!

That's your second post in two different motoring related threads where you have advocated committing criminal damage to vehicles. Could I suggest you might want to seek some professional help when you doctor opens tomorrow?
  • axzedaxzed Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    Evo102 wrote: »
    That's your second post in two different motoring related threads where you have advocated committing criminal damage to vehicles. Could I suggest you might want to seek some professional help when you doctor opens tomorrow?

Biased or what?
    Why don't you suggest that the noise asbo perp's head down there too?
    One is retaliatory, the other is self gratifying, inconsiderate audio graffiti that causes health damage and possible accidents!
    Anyway, the rider can drill back to a statutory acceptable muffler.
    I am surprised people don't throw stuff at them.
  • liftmasterliftmaster Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'd stick a potato up there.............
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'd ask him to stop bombing up and down and if he didn't comply, wait a few weeks and pour brake fluid over his paintwork.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    A tunnel is best if you can find one:D

If I lift off in 3rd at about 3,000 revs I can usually get a good pop or bang. More than once I've had a dog walker ducking for cover as it lets go.

Erm. Pot. Kettle.
  • donovan5donovan5 Posts: 1,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When it's a teenager you kind of think Ok fair enough,but when one pulls up and you see it's some guy in his 40's I just think what a sad bastard,he must have one small willy to have to compensate like that
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    donovan5 wrote: »
    When it's a teenager you kind of think Ok fair enough,but when one pulls up and you see it's some guy in his 40's I just think what a sad bastard,he must have one small willy to have to compensate like that

Men in their 40s should be driving Mondeos, Insignias, Lagunas, maybe a 5 series or an E class..

That's what a dad should drive, I always think men in little cars look a bit silly

"My dads picking me up, oh here he is in his Nissan Note.."

Oh dear
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    axzed wrote: »
    Biased or what?
    Why don't you suggest that the noise asbo perp's head down there too?
    One is retaliatory, the other is self gratifying, inconsiderate audio graffiti that causes health damage and possible accidents!
    Anyway, the rider can drill back to a statutory acceptable muffler.
    I am surprised people don't throw stuff at them.

Resurrecting a 14 month old thread = bizarre:o

If someone thinks a vehicle has an 'illegal' exhaust then they should report it to their local police who will, if deemed appropriate, take the appropriate action. Criminal damage such as expanding foam, paint thinners and the old faithful of potatoes up the exhaust I will rightly condemn and if that maked me biased then so be it.

As regards loud exhausts causing accidents? I'm not sure where you get that from, many motorcyclists for instance use the mantra 'loud pipes save lives', meaning other drivers might not see them coming but will hear them.
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Erm. Pot. Kettle.

Erm.. No. My exhaust is standard, legal and will pass any test going. The pops and bangs my car produces are a characteristic of overrun typical of certain petrol turbo cars.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Resurrecting a 14 month old thread = bizarre:o

If someone thinks a vehicle has an 'illegal' exhaust then they should report it to their local police who will, if deemed appropriate, take the appropriate action. Criminal damage such as expanding foam, paint thinners and the old faithful of potatoes up the exhaust I will rightly condemn and if that maked me biased then so be it

You deserve a king Edward up your pipe........
  • HP.80 VictorHP.80 Victor Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Men in their 40s should be driving Mondeos, Insignias, Lagunas, maybe a 5 series or an E class..

What absolute rubbish.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Good idea.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member

That's what a dad should drive, I always think men in little cars look a bit silly

"My dads picking me up, oh here he is in his Nissan Note.."

Oh dear

40s? I've been driving cars like that since my early 20s. Predictable and boring, but great for motorway journeys (of which I do many). Currently saving up for a Tesla S 85D, which is also boring but gives me mung-bean-eating green credentials.
  • SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,243
    Forum Member
    What absolute rubbish.

Exactly. I laughed when I read that.
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    40s? I've been driving cars like that since my early 20s. Predictable and boring, but great for motorway journeys (of which I do many). Currently saving up for a Tesla S 85D, which is also boring but gives me mung-bean-eating green credentials.

So have I, I hate little cars