Options

Who Remembers Night and Day

124»

Comments

• Options
    lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    Just finished watching it and completely loved it. If it had an extra year, they wouldn't have had to rush some of the storylines but it was still unique. It was a bold choice to take that premise and make it into a soap, as most soaps are just about people who all happen to live or work in the same place and there isn't an overarching story.

It was very dark as well; because there was a smaller audience, it could afford to be riskier and more interesting.
  • Options
    bumpandgrindbumpandgrind Posts: 12,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Always, and forever. I don't regret a single day, with you."
  • Options
    lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    A couple of episodes are up on YouTube :)
  • Options
    NoxyNoxy Posts: 5,578
    Forum Member
    Shame not all of them are. It was a bit of a car crash series and very experimental, but it was nothing less than fascinating. I watched it from beginning to end back in the day!
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    Norristar wrote: »
    I remember Russ Own from HO was in it. And I am sure he won a Soap award for Night & Day?!

I thought it was Russ in the credits. And Jake Dean as well! Must've been before 2002, cos he joined HO in 2002!
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd imagine quite a few do, I loved watching it late on a thursday
  • Options
    DavidsideDavidside Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    This was a soap I was addicted to. When it first started at 5:05pm in November time I watched it. Then tuned in to the late night omnibus repeat which was the naughty uncut episode. I remember itv2 showing both the day time repeats as an omnibus sat morning and the naughty one at 11. I remember when they axed the 5 o'clock showing and only broadcast the rest of the hour long formats late at night and always being pushed in sometimes to 2am. But I still stayed tuned into it. The ending where she came back 5 years later and said goodbye to her family and friends for the police to turn up seconds later to say she had died that morning in her prison cell and it was just a ghost that visited them was brilliant.

I so wish that somewhere I could watch all these episodes again or some channel like itv2,3 or 4 or itv encore would repeat it. But doubt they ever will thou 😢
  • Options
    Hay05Hay05 Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    I liked it but the storylines were weird. Jane was found becoming a geisha the next minute she was in prison? It would be quite nice to have another soap, but I don't see ITV bringing it back. I personally think that it'd run it's course. The only soap that I want back is Eldorado. It had so much potential, so different compared to other soaps. The BBC should bring it back and I'd happily see Claire King and Joan Collins starring in it.
  • Options
    drakhendrakhen Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched this back in the day. The problem was it was very hard to follow, especially if you missed an episode. I wish it was available online so I could watch it again. Apaprently somebody on another forum asked ITV about a DVD release or repeats. Apparently they would have to edit out / replace a lot of the music used, as otherwise it would be too costly (royalties).
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,273
    Forum Member
    drakhen wrote: »
    I watched this back in the day. The problem was it was very hard to follow, especially if you missed an episode. I wish it was available online so I could watch it again. Apaprently somebody on another forum asked ITV about a DVD release or repeats. Apparently they would have to edit out / replace a lot of the music used, as otherwise it would be too costly (royalties).

It has been done before. Though it would probably be time consuming and cost a bit.
  • Options
    soupnazisoupnazi Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great show at the start but it launched just a few months after the botched Crossroads revival, so everyone was expecting another flop. And there were just way too many soaps around, generally.

At that time in 2001 apart from EE, ED, CS and HO....there was still Brookside and Family Affairs; and in daytime, Crossroads, Doctors, Neighbours (BBC1) and Home and Away which had just started on 'Five' after a year off air.
  • Options
    Alex_SullivanAlex_Sullivan Posts: 10,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember watching it in my last year at college - It was pushed so far back in the schedules
    that at one point it was on at around midnight which just made it seem all the more weird and disorientating.

I think it could be described as brave, alright.
  • Options
    CPW4EVERCPW4EVER Posts: 2,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 02/07/17 - 16:33 #89
    Davidside wrote: »
    This was a soap I was addicted to. When it first started at 5:05pm in November time I watched it. Then tuned in to the late night omnibus repeat which was the naughty uncut episode. I remember itv2 showing both the day time repeats as an omnibus sat morning and the naughty one at 11. I remember when they axed the 5 o'clock showing and only broadcast the rest of the hour long formats late at night and always being pushed in sometimes to 2am. But I still stayed tuned into it. The ending where she came back 5 years later and said goodbye to her family and friends for the police to turn up seconds later to say she had died that morning in her prison cell and it was just a ghost that visited them was brilliant.

I so wish that somewhere I could watch all these episodes again or some channel like itv2,3 or 4 or itv encore would repeat it. But doubt they ever will thou 😢

There's a random smattering of episodes online but they're a mix of single episodes and omnibuses so it'd be hard enough to work out what order they're meant to be viewed in. They're there anyway if you go looking.
    dee123 wrote: »
    drakhen wrote: »

It has been done before. Though it would probably be time consuming and cost a bit.

I can't recall if it were the case for all of the series but I do remember early episodes being heavily soundtracked. It felt like there was a backing track in nearly every scene.
    soupnazi wrote: »
    Great show at the start but it launched just a few months after the botched Crossroads revival, so everyone was expecting another flop. And there were just way too many soaps around, generally.

At that time in 2001 apart from EE, ED, CS and HO....there was still Brookside and Family Affairs; and in daytime, Crossroads, Doctors, Neighbours (BBC1) and Home and Away which had just started on 'Five' after a year off air.

It's mad to see them all listed there. We really were spoiled for choice back then. The early 00's was a period of big change for soaps in the UK. Previously, when a soap ended, a new one would come along soon enough afterwards. However in the 00's, instead of new soaps being made, they mostly just expanded the episode count of the established shows. It's been nearly ten years since a new UK based soap was launched compared to before then when you had a new soap launching every couple of years.
  • Options
    Lewi26Lewi26 Posts: 11,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was absolutely obsessed with it, I was only about 14 I used to go to school the next day knackered because I used to stay up and watch it. Extremely underrated not sure why it never caught on? I always seem to like the soaps other people don't or not as popular though, night and day, brookside family affairs and hollyoaks are all better than the absolute shite that is eastenders.
  • Options
    DavidsideDavidside Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    edited 03/07/17 - 22:19 #91

Ive had a look on YouTube but can't find them in order. They have the eps and omnibuses but not all of them with episodes missing