Options

I didn't pass my driving test :(

13»

Comments

• Options
    Mr NMr N Posts: 2,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry to hear that you failed again. The only thing I can suggest is to maybe book your next test at a different test centre? Don't worry that you may not be familiar with the roads in an adjoining town - this can actually help you on a test, as you are actually driving to the conditions of the road as they are, and not how you expect them to be.

I did my first test at a different centre but I prefer this one to the previous one as the previous centre was very busy and has many obstacles, i.e. Width restriction, complex junctions, duel carriageway nearby, and 3 major roundabouts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ok I'm off guys, thanks for the supportive comments, they really help :). I will of course let you know when my next test is and if I pass.
  • Options
    newda898newda898 Posts: 5,466
    Forum Member
    I had a really miserable examiner for my first test. He failed me several nitty gritty things (can't remember what now) My instructor said he's never passed any of his pupils, whereas others normally fly through.
    apparently he only worked weekdays so for my next test I booked for a Saturday in order to avoid him. It worked and i got a friendly dude bloke who wasn't strict.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I knew a girl who was a terrible driver.She went to the test wearing a mini skirt and she was a good looker. The examiner was fairly young,he passed her and then asked for a date.
    She said no.
    What a rotten swine she could have gone for one evening surely ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think I prob hold a world record or something. I passed on my 11th attempt at the age of 20. Considering the length of waiting lists these days, I think its a bit of a miracle.

And take it from me, wearing a miniskirt will not help you pass the test. It's so awful to even suggest someting like that - an insult to women. Take it from me all they care about is your drive. After 11 tests surely that qualifies me to know. I finally passed in a baseball cap, pair of pumps, jumper and baggy jeans. I was also passed by a woman, after previosly having 10 other male examiners. And for the record I am an attractive female.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry to hear Mr N.

It does seem rather unfair if the approaching car was a good distance away. The examiner sounds a bit of a little hitler. I bet if you had waited, he would have penalised you for undue hesitancy :rolleyes:

Third time lucky, you can do it! :)
  • Options
    WeeksyWeeksy Posts: 6,139
    Forum Member
    Aww, but then again, I think you appreciate it more when you pass later... I still my incredible feeling of rapture when he said "I'm pleased to say you've passed!"

Don't worry, It'll happen soon...

Hehe, everytime I get reminded of failing, it reminds me why I shouldn't speed!
  • Options
    Miss PoppyMiss Poppy Posts: 1,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know you're a bloke, but you might find The Girls' Guide to Losing Your L Plates - how to pass your driving test by Maria McCarthy www.mariamccarthy.co.uk useful - has got good bits on If at First You Don't Succeed - all about how to keep your spirits up after failing!

And here's some useful stuff from MSN motoring - including the 'good examiner/bad examiner' stuff!

http://cars.uk.msn.com/news/car_news_article.aspx?cp-documentid=5765073

Good luck next time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And take it from me, wearing a miniskirt will not help you pass the test. It's so awful to even suggest someting like that - an insult to women. Take it from me all they care about is your drive.

I'm merely explaining what someone I knew did.They were a terrible driver and still passed first time.
    A few months later after she passed I was with her in her car and she was doing 60mph in a 30 zone.She was stopped by a motorcycle policeman and started the sobbing act and the policeman let her go with a warning.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,846
    Forum Member
    Mr N - you WILL pass. It doesn't matter how many times you have to take your test, you WILL do it! Most people I know failed a few times.

Believe! :)
  • Options
    NealeNeale Posts: 2,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What Madge says, you will pass and it sounds like you will make a nice driver ;).

Took me three goes; first time I wasn't ready, second time the instructor put his foot on the brakes because he wanted me to stop in the middle of a traffic-lighted zebra crossing (no really, the lights changed to orange as I moved onto it and he put his foot down). Third time went well though.

But heys, I don't need to cheer you up, you are getting hugs for that ;). Just believe you can do it next time and you'll get that happy moment when the test is over :)
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok firstly, you CAN drive. 2 minor faults. Doesn't get much better than that. You will pass. If you had 12 minor faults and kept repeating the same fault over and over, you'd have something to worry about. But you failed simply because you were presented with some uncertain situations that were just made worse by your nerves. It happens. The roads were simply unlucky for you. You'll know for next time and you won't repeat those mistakes.

Ok, you had a couple major faults. The reverse around a corner. I've a feeling they stung you on this because it suggests you don't know the highway code. And the highway code suggests that when peforming a reverse around a corner, the car reversing should stop to allow cars to go by. The examiner may have suspected you didn't know that rule. Or they may have felt you were being over cautious when you could have kept going. One of the key things with driving is to drive safely while making good progress. He may have felt you didn't need to wait.

I also had a similar fault to you at a t-junction. I was turning right and saw a car approaching from the left. There were a lot of parked cars, but I saw this car, and I sware I saw it pull in between two parked cars. So I figured he was parking, and began my turn. Then suddenly, there he was to my left. So I stopped. Failed right there. I'm not sure if the examiner felt I didn't see the car, or what. I never did get an answer on that.

One thing I would say, and I know you don't want to hear this.. but consider things from the position of an examiner. They have 40 minutes in which to judge if you're safe enough to drive on the road, both for your safety and for the safety of others.. *for the rest of your life*. 40 minutes to decide if you're able to drive at 70mph in a Suburu if you wanted to. Thats a big responsibility.

Imagine if the examiner let go a fault that may.. may.. have caused an accident.. and then the next week the kids parent ring in to say their son was killed in a car crash that also took three of his friends too, due to a misjudged turn at a junction.

I agree with others, that the 40 minute test is a joke. But it's the best they have right now and it's the only chance someone gets to judge if you're safe. Thats why a lot of people fail on situations like yours, because the instructor has to be sure in their mind you know the rules of the road.

I had a lady examiner and she seemed tough as nails. She failed me once. Then I had her again. And when I passed, she was the happiest lady I've met in ages. She was so happy I'd passed and said how she remembered me from last time. They want you to pass, they also want you to live. Ultimately they have your interests at heart.

Keep going with it.. keep doing the lessons.. you WILL pass Mr N. You can only get better.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry to hear about you not passing. I think it depends what type of the mood the examiner is in or thats what i got told. If hes in a bad mood and being getting loads of Sh1t all day hes not gonna be botherd if you pass or not to him your just another boy racer. I had the examiner twice he passed me on my second time i made sure that he had passed me before i told him that he failed me last time and said a few words lol.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr N- I also think you should not get quite so offended by the examiners actions as it is nothing personal- when you said you did your park and were offended that he opened his door to check?! He has to do this- how else does he know? The distance is what they can pass or fail you on, I know as they did to me on my 2nd for being too far from curb!

Hope you have recovered and already thinking about booking your next test.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Years ago they used to say get an early appointment cos if they have six tests say in a day and they've past the first four they won't pass the last two.

Might be a load of rubbish of course. :)

I think also that personality comes into it the examiners are human and if they don't like something about you they may decide to be more strict than normal.

They would all deny that of course.

My first examiner was a real sourpuss and I failed. The second was a lot better and I passed. Might be coincidence don't know.

You go out with some friends who have just passed and you think "how did they manage to pass" ?
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Years ago they used to say get an early appointment cos if they have six tests say in a day and they've past the first four they won't pass the last two.

Might be a load of rubbish of course. :)

Just one of the many myths. I had a good instructor who made sure to put a lot of these myths to rest. They do nothing other than get pupils even more nervous than they should be.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK thanks for letting me know it was only a myth. :)

It's good to know they are impersonal and treat everyone exactly the same. ;):p
  • Options
    Yorkie47Yorkie47 Posts: 1,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Despite all these helpful types who come up and tell you they passed first time (!) it is REALLY difficult to pass your driving test these days. I was told by my instructor that it has always been difficult to pass your driving test in the past but it has never been so easy to fail your test these days. (If that makes sense!)

I was told on my second driving test that I was a good, safe driver but I failed because of a botched parallel park. It was SO disappointing because I had got everything else right.

I finally passed on my fifth test and was told that it was not at all unusual to take that many tests these days.

All I can say is - DON'T GIVE UP. You will get there in the end.

Another tip - don't tell anyone you are going in for your test. It only adds more pressure when you have to tell everyone you've failed. Keep it to yourself and get to the Test Centre via your driving instructor without telling family or friends. Losing the pressure of thinking about having to tell people yet again that you've failed is a big help.

Best of luck ...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the messages everyone, I WILL PASS (eventually):D