Series 8 boxset thoughts

doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,327
Forum Member
No, this isn't a thread from the future that has fallen through a crack in time. :)

Just thinking that boxset wise the next release will be in a totally unique position from that of any other, that being that there is an issue with day of the doctor and time of the doctor.

Normally, as we know, each boxset includes the christmas special from the year before, but never since 2005 has the first episode been that of a previous doctor. Then if you think about the possibility of day of the doctor being included that could mean the two first episodes of Capaldi's boxset not being about his Doctor.

On this basis, I guess some would say don't include them, and make Capaldi's first boxset all about him, but for me, I think this would be wrong, as they would be the first two episodes since 2005 not to be included on any boxset. For someone who newly gets into doctor who in a few years and buys the boxset's to watch all the episodes they missed, time of the doctor would have to be included at least, or else you'd have a situation where they finish the series 7 boxset with name then wonder what's going on when the put on the first episode of series 8 and it's of a newly regenerated Capaldi.

So, what do people think is most likely to happen, and what would you like to happen? Should either or both of day and time of the doctor be included in the series 8 boxset or not?

I personally think/hope they should because not only would it mean every single new who episode is still on a boxset, but also Capaldi does actually appear in those episodes (albeit briefly) and also if you consider day of the doctor, it would be the first boxset ever where every doctor is actually running around doing things (also briefly, of course)

Comments

• PalmerwhoPalmerwho Posts: 1,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doctor Blue Box, I suspect there is a specials like Tennants year of specials set due with Night, Day, Time, Fiveish and extras and the Capaldis first boxset will then follow (hopefully before Christmas.)
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    We're getting an anniversary boxset soon, supposedly.

Besides it'd be a bit silly including Matt's last two stories in a boxset with Peter's first series.
  • doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,327
    Forum Member
    As long as they are in a boxset of some form it will be good, Although it does seem a bit of a waste of a release (and extra amounts of our money) for an extra release for two episodes when they technically could be released with series 8. two episodes is not really a boxset, and Capaldi is in both, so you could justify putting them on series 8.

Either way, any form of boxset release will be better than nothing. Just thought that it wasn't right that they only get the single release.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Well the Series 5 boxset managed perfectly fine without a Christmas special, as there had been the Tenth Doctor Specials boxset beforehand.

I imagine an Eleventh Doctor Specials boxset would be the tidiest option... including The Night of the Doctor, The Last Day, The Day of the Doctor, The Time of the Doctor and as a treat The Five(ish) Doctors. Maybe if they were pushing it, chuck in An Adventure in Space and Time as well - Smith does make a brief cameo after all, and it'd be the best way to get all of the 50th Anniversary segments together in one piece. It would mean both Tennant and Smith have a run of three series followed by a run of specials.

Then we can have a standalone release for The Five(ish) Doctors as well. If a sequel is truly in production, which'd be marvelous, then bundle them together. It's no more of a rip-off that releasing The Next Doctor or Planet of the Dead as standalone ventures and charging an RRP of £15 for them back in 2009.
  • doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,327
    Forum Member
    Considering you can already pre order series 8, if there was a 50th specials boxset then surely that would already be listed for pre order. Logically you would expect it to come out first after all. Yet I haven't seen anything anywhere for such a set.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    I think Colin Baker said a while back that The Five (ish) Doctors is being included in an anniversary boxset with Matt's last two episodes and presumably, An Adventure In Space And Time as well.
  • Xmas_TrenzaloreXmas_Trenzalore Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    I think Colin Baker said a while back that The Five (ish) Doctors is being included in an anniversary boxset with Matt's last two episodes and presumably, An Adventure In Space And Time as well.
    That's a bit of a ball-ache.
    I want the Fivish Doctors, but I already own the separate releases of the rest of them.

I guess it serves me right for not being patient.
    Maybe I'll still get it.
    It'll depend on the Price and the additional features though.
  • bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I made my own 4 disc boxset of the 50th stuff including the brian cox programme, five ish doctors, the culture show, the ultimate guide. Only missing the after party. Need some new stuff for me to be interested in such a set.