Man wants to change his foriegn surname..

2»

Comments

• DrFlowDemandDrFlowDemand Posts: 2,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I vote change it.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bspace wrote: »
    although it doesn't indicate why the discrimination was taking place

i.e. it's quite possible that it's cultural differences that some employers are wary of rather than skin colour. although it says that the applications indicated that all candidates where born and raised in the UK, that doesn't mean they where raised within what the employers might regard as a traditional UK culture.

another success for 'multi culturalism'

I think it's a lot more to do with a fear of not pronouncing a name correctly, which some (mistakenly) believe may create a situation they don't want to end up in.

There was definitely a difference in attitudes toward my old surname and my new surname. Even among those who knew me under my old surname for years.

The 'foreignness' of my old surname seemed to create some kind of a mental block for some, which resulted with treating me as a 'foreigner', although I was born and raised in this country.
  • lotsobearlotsobear Posts: 432
    Forum Member
    burton07 wrote: »
    Yes, I changed my name from Mrs Workshytwat to Burton. It made a world of difference.
    I don't even find that remotely funny! :yawn:
  • MintMint Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pickwick wrote: »
    Ah, good, I was going to try and dig that out but only had a vague memory of it!

Yeah, in some situations it definitely makes sense. All initial CV sorting should be done blind, without any personal info, I think.

They do that in public service jobs where personal details are withheld from those short-listing applications. But they can sometimes guess at the age of an applicant by the year exams were sat.
  • Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    I remember a whole family changing their foreign surname from Saxe-Coburg-Gotha to Windsor.

It worked! They never had to sign on again!

Their Russian Cousins were not so lucky.
  • Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I changed mine to Saxe-Coburg-Gotha and it feels like I've been doing someone else's work since.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what's in a name?
    what's in your SKILL SET more like!!!
  • Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably the opposite:

After 15 years in recruitment, Alison Andrews, who runs an agency for temporary staff in Somerset, has some strong views on UK workers.

"I don't take the British applications very seriously, to be honest,"

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2012/jun/21/job-agencies-prefer-foreign-workers
    Forum Member
    Jol44 wrote: »
    Probably the opposite:

After 15 years in recruitment, Alison Andrews, who runs an agency for temporary staff in Somerset, has some strong views on UK workers.

"I don't take the British applications very seriously, to be honest,"

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2012/jun/21/job-agencies-prefer-foreign-workers
    I think that he deserves a punch in the nose to be honest....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard46 wrote: »
    Or Saxe-Coburg-Gotha to Windsor.

:D:D:D:D
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woofwoof77 wrote: »
    Just wanted to know other peoples opinions on this .

A male family member wants to change his foreign surname to give him a better chance of finding work here. He is british born,british looking, middle aged,hasn't worked in 6 yrs and has to live with parents due to lack of money.
    He believes this is partly due to his foreign surname and believes that employers take one look at his foreign surname and just ignore him. Do you think this is really happening in this country?

His dad says if he changes his surname to something more 'english' it may actually disadvantage him as he believes a lot of employers prefer foreign workers. I don't know what to think but if he does change his name WW3 might happen here =/

Do you think its any of his dads business if he does change his name? Just we've had heated row after row about it.

Anyway, just wanted peoples opinions =/
    BIB no i don't.......unless you read the red top rag mags.

I assume he's over the age of 18 so actually it's nobody else's business except his though i can understand it could upset other members of your family.
  • DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got a foreign surname and it has never stopped me getting a job.
    Forum Member
    I've got a foreign surname and it has never stopped me getting a job.
    Care to share with us what that name is? :cool:
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    lotsobear wrote: »
    Care to share with us what that name is? :cool:

Mr Doobie. :p
    Forum Member
    Mr Doobie. :p
    Doobie doesn't sound foreign to me! :confused:
    Forum Member
    lotsobear wrote: »
    Doobie doesn't sound foreign to me! :confused:

I was joking.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought everybody in the world now had British names. Every time I get a cold call from someone in Delhi, they're nearly always called something like George, Michael or Andrew :D
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »
    I thought everybody in the world now had British names. Every time I get a cold call from someone in Delhi, they're nearly always called something like George, Michael or Andrew :D

Not Ridgeley?
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Kinda vaguely related, maybe...

Was watching summat on telly the other night and was trying to remember where I'd seen one of the actors before.
    Eventually, after a bit of IMDB-ing, I realised it was the fella who used to play "Dr Bashir" in Star Trek DS9.

Only thing is, his name used to be Sadiq al Tahir but now he seems to have decided to Anglicise it as "Alex Siddig".
    Kinda disappointing when even relatively famous actors feel compelled to get rid of "muslamic" names. :(
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John Wayne got it right :cool:
    Who'd take a cowboy called Marion seriously unless it was Carry on Camping, Cowboy.
  • PenelopePopcornPenelopePopcorn Posts: 306
    Forum Member
    Change your name OP

Actually, I've got a foreign name (through marriage) and I've never had any trouble getting jobs. I always thought the name was a bonus and I wondered if employers felt they were employing someone from an ethnic minority and therefore they couldn't be accused of being racists - although that's just a guess, but anyway I usually got whatever job I went for.

However, if the OP feels his name is holding him back from getting a job then just change it and see what happens.
  • woofwoof77woofwoof77 Posts: 2,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your opinions.

Well it's not an Asian sounding name but it is from over that way. Most people when they see it think its Italian but its not.

His skills list is pretty low tbh.

As for keeping the name for next generation, he's told dad that he doesn't want kids.

Personaly I don't see a problem with it.

I think where the dad is against it, its more of a pride thing tbh =/
  • pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Kinda vaguely related, maybe...

Was watching summat on telly the other night and was trying to remember where I'd seen one of the actors before.
    Eventually, after a bit of IMDB-ing, I realised it was the fella who used to play "Dr Bashir" in Star Trek DS9.

Only thing is, his name used to be Sadiq al Tahir but now he seems to have decided to Anglicise it as "Alex Siddig".
    Kinda disappointing when even relatively famous actors feel compelled to get rid of "muslamic" names. :(
    He actually changed it halfway through DS9 - about series 4, I think. It is a shame, though.

(Also apparently his birth name is Siddig El Tahir El Fadil El Siddig Abderahman Mohammed Ahmed Abdel Karim El Mahdi, which is AWESOME. But problematic on forms, I imagine.)
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »

Not just "muslamic" names, to be fair. It was - and still is? - a tradition for actors and others to discard their 'ethnic' or 'unpronounceable' names for something Anglicised or simple. Here are some of old favourite 'did you know their real name?' choices:

Allen Konigsberg = Woody Allen
    Ilyena Mironov = Helen Mirren
    Jennifer Anastassakis = Jennifer Aniston
    Issur Danielovitch = Kirk Douglas
    Maurice Micklewhite = Michael Caine
    Demetria Guynes = Demi Moore
    Lee Yuen Kam = Bruce Lee
    Ramon Estevez = Martin Sheen
    Eric Banadinovich = Eric Bana
    Winona Horowitz = Winona Ryder
    Jean-Claude Van Varenberg = Jean-Claude Van Damme
  • PenelopePopcornPenelopePopcorn Posts: 306