Options

Windows Phone 7 - launched too late?

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    SoundburstSoundburst Posts: 13,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sony-Philips are extremely respected in the audio domain.

I find their knockings harsh and unfair. :D Just use an uncompressed format.
  • Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That Bloke wrote: »
    The screen resolution is a major selling point to app developers though. One of the major advantages apple has over the other players is that it's relatively easy to code good looking programs because you know exactly what it's going to look like on the screen. The massive variety of resolutions on android makes this a pain in the neck to do.

As was said earlier in the thread, it's the apps that sell the phone really, not the OS. Otherwise WebOS would be doing a heck of a lot better than it is.

I don't think apps were WebOS' downfall. It was a) hardware wasn't particularly good and b) minimal marketing. The official adverts were terrible.

If there's one thing Apple has been best at so far indisputably, it has been its marketing (until antennagate).
  • Options
    zantarouszantarous Posts: 2,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like HTC are saying that sense wil come to Win Mobile 7 and Gngerbread http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/24/htc-sense-coming-to-windows-phone-7-after-all/
  • Options
    soteksotek Posts: 3,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zantarous wrote: »
    Looks like HTC are saying that sense wil come to Win Mobile 7 and Gngerbread http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/24/htc-sense-coming-to-windows-phone-7-after-all/

You couldn't make it up could you?

In the very unlikely event that anyone from HTC reads this, please be aware that I will never buy one of your phones while it includes unnecessary bloatware. If you have to offer the Sense UI why don't you make it selectable?
  • Options
    DotNetWillDotNetWill Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sotek wrote: »
    You couldn't make it up could you?

In the very unlikely event that anyone from HTC reads this, please be aware that I will never buy one of your phones while it includes unnecessary bloatware. If you have to offer the Sense UI why don't you make it selectable?

It is Android, I have a HTC Desire and don't use Sense, my home screen app is Launcher Pro. I can't uninstall it without installing a custom ROM but I certainly don't have to use it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DotNetWill wrote: »
    It is Android, I have a HTC Desire and don't use Sense, my home screen app is Launcher Pro. I can't uninstall it without installing a custom ROM but I certainly don't have to use it.

No I understand but didn't make myself clear. Why can't HTC offer phones that just run stock Android alongside identical models offering Sense?

Some people (yourself included I assume) don't like Sense and would prefer to have an operating system that gets updated as soon as Google release new versions. We both know that whether or not Sense can be disabled, any phone running it will be at least 6 months behind getting any update (if indeed they get it at all).
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We both know that whether or not Sense can be disabled, any phone running it will be at least 6 months behind getting any update (if indeed they get it at all).

Something that could equally apply to a phone running stock Android.

There might be less work involved, but if the manufacturer doesn't want to do that then no official ROM is going to happen.

Something like this may eventually happen to your beloved Nexus One. Google isn't going to hold back progress for its own phone eventually.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    Something that androidcould equally apply to a phone running stock Android.

There might be less work involved, but if the manufacturer doesn't want to do that then no official ROM is going to happen.

Something like this may eventually happen to your beloved Nexus One. Google isn't going to hold back progress for its own phone eventually.

My beloved? Hardly! If I could swap it for a Desire running stock Android (without needing to root) I would do it in a heartbeat.

Of course the Nexus won't be updateable forever but I think it is safe to say Google will always have at least one phone which will update immediately if only as a reference point.
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My beloved? Hardly! If I could swap it for a Desire running stock Android (without needing to root) I would do it in a heartbeat.

I'd be happier if HTC released a Desire bootloader that was similar to the N1 one - you're allowed to root (but you void the warranty). No need to find an exploit, like I believe has to happen now for every new phone and even sometimes when there's a new bootloader.
  • Options
    zantarouszantarous Posts: 2,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some amusing MS marketing here http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/10/microsoft-celebrates-windows-phone-7-rtm-with-funeral-parade-for/

Lets hope this is not just hot air and the phone can compete with these two.