Options

Partners who are parents

Today's Muse is LegoPig..

If you are/were dating, would it matter to you if the man/woman you met had kids of their own already?

Would you be cool with it if the kids were older? Or are you happy to take on another man/womans baby to raise?

I am going to make a sweeping generalisation here (feel free to correct me!) but I would assume that most men wouldn't want to invest in raising another mans offspring.

I would be ok if the child was a teenager or older, but not sure I would be interested in a woman with small kids.

Comments

• Options
    rossm2008rossm2008 Posts: 823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No excess baggage for me personally.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I wouldn't. Life is too short to raise someone else's kids. Hats off to those who can do it though.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think you can generalise.

My OH's best friend has just got engaged (after 2 broken marriages) and his partner has 2 young children (3 and 4) and they've now got one of their own on the way. He is a doting stepfather and no one seeing them together would have any idea he was not the father, they get on so well.

One of my friends mat a guy who already had a 12 year old daughter. It didn't worry her at all. They're now married with 2 younger children and very close to the older daughter. When you're a bit older and divorced or come out of a long term relationship, it's not unusual to meet someone who already has kids and it's no big deal imo.
  • Options
    KittiaraKittiara Posts: 2,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a woman and it wouldn't matter to me. Though preferably no babies, just because I'm always a bit awkward with them. They're so delicate and tiny!

If the man had children, and we were thinking about a relationship, of course it would complicate things. The kids would have to like me and I would have to like the kids. The children would have to be kept in mind as the relationship developed because their feelings would be at stake, too, if things went wrong.

And there would be the issue of the ex-partner. I haven't dated a man with children but I know women who have, and whilst some ex-partners don't make a fuss about the "new woman" in her kids' lives, some definitely make it difficult!

Still, if all went well enough, I got along with the kids etc, I don't see why it should be too much of a problem.
  • Options
    x_malibubabex_malibubabe Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm female and I've dated a guy with two young kids before. Obviously I'd never replace their mother but it didn't bother me that he had children & it wouldn't in the future, I like kids :) I think if he had teenage kids though it would be harder to get on with them as I think they take a split to heart more than a younger child. I can't speak from experience on that side though.
  • Options
    ladydragonladydragon Posts: 3,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My first husband was already a father and it was no problem... However when he did a moonlight flit he left my eldest with me - and that is exactly what she is, *my* eldest because I'm the one who's had the most input in raising her...

I met a man who didn't have any children of his own and he accepted from the start that if he wanted me he had to be prepared to play a role in my children's life if the relationship worked... He's a brilliant step father to them...

:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    I personally wouldn`t mind being in a relationship with someone who already has children.I think at my age its something to expect as many men at my age probably already have children...as long as they would be happy to have another one with me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As I've got two peices of ''baggage'' myself I would'nt mind having a relationship with someone who also had kids. In fact I'd prefere it, at least they'd understand and accept the fact that they would never come first. I imagion that would be quite difficult for someone who did'nt have kids themselfs.
  • Options
    Chuck InglishChuck Inglish Posts: 283
    Forum Member
    I was chatting with a colleague about this.

we agreed that it's cool, but that the partner with the kid(s) should be prepared to have more kids with the new person too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was chatting with a colleague about this.

we agreed that it's cool, but that the partner with the kid(s) should be prepared to have more kids with the new person too.

Thats what would put me off being with someone who did'nt have kids of their own. Understandably they'd want children too. I would'nt want to start all over again, been there done that ect...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never wanted children of my own so why would I want somebody else's? I would never have a relationship with a man who has children by a previous relationship.

My OH also doesn't want children so we sing from the same hym sheet.

I also get fed up of people telling me I am selfish for not wanting children :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    eng123 wrote: »
    I have never wanted children of my own so why would I want somebody else's? I would never have a relationship with a man who has children by a previous relationship.

My OH also doesn't want children so we sing from the same hym sheet.

I also get fed up of people telling me I am selfish for not wanting children :rolleyes:

People say that to you? :eek:
    I'd say you and your OH were the oposit of selfish. Too many people have kids simply because it's expected of them. I'm often stunned by the amount of people who claim they dont like kids then go on to have them. :confused:
  • Options
    izanamiizanami Posts: 2,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My hubby took on my 3 year old as though it was the most natural thing in the world. He even took time out to get to know my son's father.

Now we have two more children together as well as my eldest son but my hubby doesn't treat my eldest any differently than he does his own sons.
  • Options
    calamitycalamity Posts: 12,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine took me with three kids, dont know how he did it, but then Im worth it :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a son and my OH is more of a dad to him than his own father is... it was never an issue with us or in any previous relationship I've had in the past, but each to their own. No one should feel pressured to take on someone elses kids, although clearly if you want to be with someone then you'd take on all the extras that came with be it children, a troublesome family or otherwise.
  • Options
    ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member
    If I liked the kids, yes.
  • Options
    stormin normstormin norm Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    I think it's just one of those things that depend entirely on the situation in most cases.

That said, I personally would be a bit wary about getting involved with a man who didn't have his own kids already. The reason for this being that I don't want anymore of my own, and it's not something I particularly want to compromise on.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My 3 older kids live with my ex. They get on pretty well with my partner when they see us though. We've also got a boy of 7 of our own who lives with us.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,512
    Forum Member
    My partner has two age 17 and 11 although they are weekenders. I have two 13 and 8. We don't live together but all get along fine. He's great with my two although in no way a father figure, and I think the world of his two.

Just lucky I think.
  • Options
    QwertyGirl1771QwertyGirl1771 Posts: 4,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My hubby has 3 daughters, all older than me. I am 38 and the youngest of hubbys 3 daughters is 40. I have been very fortunate in the way they accept me. The hardest thing hubby and I ever had to tell them was that I was pregnant (13 years ago), and that went so well and beyond what I expected. We sometimes go clubbing, shopping and have even been on holidays and got rat-faced :D
    And they have children, so I get on really well with them too (two grand-daughters; one is 17, the other is 16 and a grandson who is 2 years old)
    My daughter often spends time with them and has sleep-overs.
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    When I met my husband, we had 2 children each, all within 3 years of each other, it was not a problem for either of us, and we finished off our family by having a 5th :) His children stay weekends and holidays and they all( most of the time) get on great.
  • Options
    IWantPVRIWantPVR Posts: 8,302
    Forum Member
    I have a son who is with his mum up North.

I've dated single mothers who swear they'll never date a guy who has kids already.

My ex wife had two kids and we agreed we'd have one more between us but she backed out of that and I eventually left.

My new (5yrs) wife has no issues with me having a son and we now have one child between us.

If you're in your 30s-40s and interested in potential partners who are child friendly then it's unrealistic to expect that they don't already have kids.
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I ever find myself on the market, I'd be wary of getting involved with a childless man as I really don't want to birth any more but I'd be quite happy to be a step mum.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FluffyEgg wrote: »
    Today's Muse is LegoPig..

If you are/were dating, would it matter to you if the man/woman you met had kids of their own already?

Would you be cool with it if the kids were older? Or are you happy to take on another man/womans baby to raise?

I am going to make a sweeping generalisation here (feel free to correct me!) but I would assume that most men wouldn't want to invest in raising another mans offspring.

I would be ok if the child was a teenager or older, but not sure I would be interested in a woman with small kids.
    It wouldn't bother me whatever the scenario. If you're going to take on a new partner you've got to take their kids on too or it isn't going to work. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should ask my partner this. I have a 5½-month-old son and am due around Christmas with twins. And he got together with me regardless... loony.

I'm not averse to having another in the future but wouldn't contemplate it for at least another 6/7 years or so. Helps that I'm 21 (just) and he's 23 so waiting around wouldn't be too disastrous, assuming we're still together at that point. I know he would like a child of his own though and he's entirely open about that. Thankfully he's in no hurry.