Pole Dancing Classes

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
Forum Member
Ladies!
I'm looking to lose a little weight (between 8-16lbs), tone up, get a little more fit.
I looked up dance classes in my area and I think pole dancing might be the most suitable thing for me.
My fitness isn't great, but I'd be going to beginner classes...Has anyone got any experience of them/what to wear etc? A 6 week course is £45 :)

Comments

• GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You've reminded me I've always quite fancied having a go and I've done some googling of local classes to me and the website says...

'For Pole Dancing and Fitness classes you will need to wear comfortable work-out clothes. Most importantly clothes should be of stretchy materials to allow full movement. Shorts are required as bare legs will facilitate skin grip when progressing onto more difficult moves which is essential. Trainers can be worn for the warm up however classes are performed in bare feet as the studio floor is covered in mats, therefore high heels are not permitted. All jewellery, watches and accessories must be removed and please avoid using any hand or body lotions immediately before the class.'
  • horwichallstarshorwichallstars Posts: 16,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been - they were fantastic.

Clothes wise ... you need to have some bare skin, to help you "attach" (for want of a better word) to the pole. Used to have bare feet, shorts, and a short sleeved top. It will really help with your toning or fitness.

BTW - I am size 18, and did it to help with general fitness.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    You've reminded me I've always quite fancied having a go and I've done some googling of local classes to me and the website says...

'For Pole Dancing and Fitness classes you will need to wear comfortable work-out clothes. Most importantly clothes should be of stretchy materials to allow full movement. Shorts are required as bare legs will facilitate skin grip when progressing onto more difficult moves which is essential. Trainers can be worn for the warm up however classes are performed in bare feet as the studio floor is covered in mats, therefore high heels are not permitted. All jewellery, watches and accessories must be removed and please avoid using any hand or body lotions immediately before the class.'

Great! Thank you :)
    Really don't like my thighs but it'll have to be shorts then haha! :p
    Forum Member
    I've been - they were fantastic.

Clothes wise ... you need to have some bare skin, to help you "attach" (for want of a better word) to the pole. Used to have bare feet, shorts, and a short sleeved top. It will really help with your toning or fitness.

BTW - I am size 18, and did it to help with general fitness.

Thank you! :D
    Did you go with a friend or on your own? :) I just think I'll be really nervous for the first class :p
  • SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go to your local 80's reflex bar and dance around the pole in there :p
    Forum Member
    Sexbomb wrote: »
    Go to your local 80's reflex bar and dance around the pole in there :p

I'm sure the drink would help the nerves too! :p
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Take some wipes for the pole! Can't say I fancy wrapping my thighs round someone else's sweaty pole!

There used to be a pole dancing class in the same place where I used to go for yoga - we'd see the woman coming out. As others have said, shorts and bare legs (and a top that tucks in!) are needed. Lots of ladies used to wear knee pads too.
  • babinabababinaba Posts: 5,424
    Forum Member
    Don't worry if you don't like your thighs - my friend does them and there are girls of all shapes and sizes that go and I'm sure some of them will have felt like that too. I'm going to start doing it too once my stupid tennis elbow disappears! Good luck :-)
    Forum Member
    Elanor wrote: »
    Take some wipes for the pole! Can't say I fancy wrapping my thighs round someone else's sweaty pole!

There used to be a pole dancing class in the same place where I used to go for yoga - we'd see the woman coming out. As others have said, shorts and bare legs (and a top that tucks in!) are needed. Lots of ladies used to wear knee pads too.
    babinaba wrote: »
    Don't worry if you don't like your thighs - my friend does them and there are girls of all shapes and sizes that go and I'm sure some of them will have felt like that too. I'm going to start doing it too once my stupid tennis elbow disappears! Good luck :-)

Thanks a lot guys! I'll have a bit more of a look into it this week! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seeing the positive posts here is in encouraging! i'm starting a class tomorrow D:
  • andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    pole dancing to get fitter? are you serious?!

why not go for a jog or something that burns more calories?
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's not something I'd do, but I have seen pole dancing lessons and it is much more physical than you'd think. It really builds core strength and tones muscles a lot. It's very different from things like jogging. Plus jogging really isn't for everyone, especially if you're at all busty. Jogging and pole dancing have very different effects, surely?
    Forum Member
    Elanor wrote: »
    It's not something I'd do, but I have seen pole dancing lessons and it is much more physical than you'd think. It really builds core strength and tones muscles a lot. It's very different from things like jogging. Plus jogging really isn't for everyone, especially if you're at all busty. Jogging and pole dancing have very different effects, surely?

jogging more cardio, pole dancing toning/strength probably..

it is not that physical in my opinion, press ups would be more effective although less fun. Can't see pole dancing improving fitness by more than 2%
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 78
    Forum Member
    I wouldnt mind having a go
    Forum Member

It just looks quite fun, I find jogging quite boring ...plus it improves upeer body strength and tones. I think it's the fun element. I do swim a little too :)
    Forum Member
    yep I agree it would be kind of fun but i recommend press ups for toning, they tone the whole body
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    pole dancing classes are so much fun! I did them around 3/4 years ago, it is a good way of getting into shape (so much so i invested in my own pole for at home!) not done it for a while due to having surgery on my spine, but i am hoping to get back into it soon to improve my core strengh again.

I used to wear shorts that where a bit longer than everyone else (dont like my thighs either!) and just used to hitch the shorts up when it was my turn on the pole, also a close fitting t-shirt is a good idea, you dont want the tshirt to ride up and be flashing your lady-lumps to everyone:eek:

Be prepared for a lot of bruises too at first, arnica cream is a god send and you WILL ache badly the day after the first session, as you dont realise how hard you are working out, as its such good fun
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jogging more cardio, pole dancing toning/strength probably..

it is not that physical in my opinion, press ups would be more effective although less fun. Can't see pole dancing improving fitness by more than 2%

The person doing the exercise needs to enjoy it else they've got more chance of jacking in.

Any exercise, even if it's not cardio, is better than no exercise.
  • horwichallstarshorwichallstars Posts: 16,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's very physically demanding, you would be suprised at the effort it takes to get up that pole. Also really good for core strength.

Yes, take a handtowel to wipe down the pole, you will sweat yourself, and need to keep the pole dry.
    Forum Member
    Thanks everyone, I'm really excited about this now :D
  • shantomshantom Posts: 2,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let us know how you get on, sounds fun! Are you going on your own or with a friend?
    Forum Member
    shantom wrote: »
    Let us know how you get on, sounds fun! Are you going on your own or with a friend?

I think on my own, unless I can convince my girlfriends! :p
    I will do, I hope jane-hen does as well! :)
    Forum Member
    yep I agree it would be kind of fun but i recommend press ups for toning, they tone the whole body

Not everyone can do press ups though - I've never been able to do them, my wrists are awful
    Forum Member
    Let us know how you get on! :)
    Forum Member
    babinaba wrote: »
    Not everyone can do press ups though - I've never been able to do them, my wrists are awful

get yourself something like these
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chrome-Push-Up-Stands-Pull-Press-Bar-Foam-Handles-Home-Gym-Exercise-Workout-Pair-/260963722602?pt=UK_Sporting_Goods_Exercise_Fitness_Fitness_Accessories_ET&hash=item3cc2a6656a

you will soon build up some strength to do them easily, the results are great