Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 44)

Comments

• Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nice to see Hollyoaks round off a good week with 1.15m (C4) and 635k (E4), it seems to have turned a corner now with some very strong storylines on screen.
  • Options
    Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not too bad for Great Night Out. I think it has potential to grow from here - I thoroughly enjoyed last night's first episode. The show made me smile and has likeable characters. And it's nice to see ITV trying with a new comedy drama, instead of having another period drama or detective programme. So I really want this show to do well.

Silent Witness did OK. I was hoping it would hold onto its 6m audience from the night before though.

It was never really going to hold onto its 6mil figure as to b fair it was a fri, and most ratings tend to be lower fri. However it stil did pretty wel
  • Options
    Mr SirsMr Sirs Posts: 4,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not too bad for Great Night Out. I think it has potential to grow from here - I thoroughly enjoyed last night's first episode. The show made me smile and has likeable characters. And it's nice to see ITV trying with a new comedy drama, instead of having another period drama or detective programme. So I really want this show to do well.

Silent Witness did OK. I was hoping it would hold onto its 6m audience from the night before though.

For an hour's comedy it actually was quite good, and Robbie forgets the rating that Mrs Robinson comedy got on BBC1 last year on a Friday night. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    HMOHMO Posts: 42,223
    Forum Member
    First episode of The Dumping Ground last week consolidated to 625k, timesift of 74k from live viewing. Would have expected more if iPlayer viewings were taken into account, considering it was at #1.
  • Options
    Stephen_SimpsonStephen_Simpson Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The next episode will probably go higher. But good news none the less.
  • Options
    Georged123Georged123 Posts: 5,763
    Forum Member
    Mr Sirs wrote: »
    For an hour's comedy it actually was quite good, and Robbie forgets the rating that Mrs Robinson comedy got on BBC1 last year on a Friday night. :rolleyes:
    So what are you saying? Because BBC1 had a comedy that tanked then any ITV1 comedy that does better is a success? I dont get why your bring BBC1 comedies into it.

Great Night Out did poorly as expected. After years of neglecting both male viewers and comedy fans they decide to make a show that caters to both with expected results.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kwynne42 wrote: »
    If I had to choose I'd much rather watch NCIS than The Mentalist.
    well that is your choice, but consider the hours of Celeb Big Brother on C5 at the moment, we are over due some proper telly from C5 again, when its done.

That said the ratings for Celeb Big Brother, continue to be really strong, so it clearly has a place on C5.

Same for EE, excellent to see it over 8 million all week, even the normally lower rated Friday.

As for tonight, im not even thinking about the BBC line up, its so dreadful, Splash should fall to around 4 million tonight, if not im blaming the BBC publicity machine.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    Georged123 wrote: »
    So what are you saying? Because BBC1 had a comedy that tanked then any ITV1 comedy that does better is a success? I dont get why your bring BBC1 comedies into it.

Great Night Out did poorly as expected. After years of neglecting both male viewers and comedy fans they decide to make a show that caters to both with expected results.

Yes I agree with that. It will take time for ITV to build bridges with those viewers, regardless of the quality of the shows in question.
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    nick202 wrote: »
    I'm just watching it now - it's pretty enjoyable, but would be better off in a midweek slot away from SW.
    After the shambles that was 'Days Like These', I'm surprised ITV have ventured primetime comedy on a Friday night.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Can we not compare the figures to similar programmes on other channels?

C4 caters for this demo and gets nowhere near the figures that Great Night Out got.

What was the BBC's most recent attempt at an hour comedy drama aimed at younger adult viewers?

I can only think of Mutual Friends in 2008, which failed.
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    What was the last younger skewing adult comedy drama on BBC One and how did that perform?

Without giving it much thought, probably Gavin and Stacey. 10m.

Do we know if Going Out Night did skew young? Post Corrie on a Friday, it probably got an audience of non bingo playing pensioners. :)

Be interesting to compare its demographic breakdown to, say, BBC1's most recent adult comedy drama smash, Last Tango. I could see that having more young adult viewers than last nights new launch.

Not that it matters how shows break down, all I care about is sheer numbers.
  • Options
    Georged123Georged123 Posts: 5,763
    Forum Member
    derek500 wrote: »
    Can we not compare the figures to similar programmes on other channels?

C4 caters for this demo and gets nowhere near the figures that Great Night Out got.

What was the BBC's most recent attempt at an hour comedy drama aimed at younger adult viewers?

I can only think of Mutual Friends in 2008, which failed.
    We can compare but it would help if you added some context like the reason C4 would get nowhere near 3.4m for a comedy drama is because it's C4, a channel that is much smaller in pretty much everything compared to ITV.
  • Options
    BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Let me answer your question with this. I didn't know it started tomorrow until you told me.
    I think that says it all. Utopia is getting some good write ups at the moment, but with the heavily promoted My Big Mad Diary on E4 from Monday it seems that C4 have three big shows launching over four days and World Without End is getting lost in the promotion of them.
    NeilVW wrote: »
    Interesting BBC Two schedule this evening. They are repeating all three Stargazing Lives from 4-7pm, and then after a re-run of Flog It! there are classic episodes of Dad's Army and Fawlty Towers, then QI XL, and then they round off the night with the 2010 Ken Loach film Oranges and Sunshine. I wonder how all that lot will do against the sizzling entertainment line-up on the two main channels. I don't suppose we will see Richard Hammond getting beaten by 'Stargazing Not Live'?
    So BBC2 is essentially all repeats through to Oranges and Sunshine at 9.45pm. I can just feel that quality being delivered first!
    Markynotts wrote: »
    I have seen the first 3 episodes and production wise it looks very good. However the storyline has been changed from the book, with main characters disappearing and minor bland characters being brought to the screen, oh and the acting is pretty awful apart from Miranda Richardson. I will be surprised if it holds up as well as Pillars of the Earth.
    Only seen snippets so can't really judge it, but hope it is more than a remake with basically the same plots but with different names - as from the info so far you can pretty much match all the characters to someone in the original. I think though like Pillars you just have to give it a bit of time and immerse yourself in it - it's not something you can watch casually really.
    And great to have such a drama that is male led to - most of ITV's comedy dramas over the last few years have been very much centred around groups of women.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    This was the split of 16-34 yr olds at 9pm last night:

Channel 4: 862k (20%)
    Channel 5: 643k (14.9%)
    ITV1: 581k (13.5%)
    BBC One: 452k (10.5%)
    BBC Two: 79k (1.8%)
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After the shambles that was 'Days Like These', I'm surprised ITV have ventured primetime comedy on a Friday night.

After the success of Benidorm, I'm not. I think ITV had Benidorm in might when they said yes to GNO.

GNO was in the ball-park of what I predicted for it last night.
  • Options
    AlexiRAlexiR Posts: 22,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sw2963 wrote: »
    Good writing
    Parks & Rec and Happy Endings both have excellent writing and neither of those is even close to a big hit though.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    First episode of The Dumping Ground last week consolidated to 625k, timesift of 74k from live viewing. Would have expected more if iPlayer viewings were taken into account, considering it was at #1.

I believe someone in the know here said that only about 20% of iPlayer viewings are counted by BARB: those that are watched via Sky, Virgin and the like. The last I heard was that BARB were still testing PC viewing. The BBC's Live+7 stats will include all iPlayer viewing, but there's quite a delay releasing that data.
    Do we know if Going Out Night did skew young? Post Corrie on a Friday, it probably got an audience of non bingo playing pensioners. :)

Be interesting to compare its demographic breakdown to, say, BBC1's most recent adult comedy drama smash, Last Tango. I could see that having more young adult viewers than last nights new launch.

Not that it matters how shows break down, all I care about is sheer numbers.

Demos for Great Night Out
    premiere, Fri 12 Jan 2013, 21:00-22:00, ITV1 (inc HD, exc +1; Live + VOSDAL)
    Age group	000s	Skew	Slot Av	Share	Slot Av	TVR	Slot Av
    Children 4-15	200.6	5.9%	6.2%	12.0%	15.7%	2.4%	3.1%
    Adults 16-24	198.6	5.8%	5.6%	12.0%	14.6%	3.0%	3.5%
    Adults 25-34	318.8	9.3%	8.4%	12.0%	13.8%	3.9%	4.4%
    Adults 35-44	569.5	16.7%	12.8%	15.4%	16.1%	6.9%	6.4%
    Adults 45-54	823.7	24.1%	18.6%	18.6%	19.2%	9.5%	9.0%
    Adults 55-64	478.2	14.0%	17.2%	11.9%	19.1%	6.7%	10.0%
    Adults 65+	822.0	24.1%	31.2%	12.6%	21.5%	8.0%	12.9%
    [B]Individuals 4+	3411.5	100.0%	100.0%	13.8%	18.2%	5.9%	7.3%[/B]

A 12% share among each of the youngest three age groups, 2-3 points below the slot average, but relatively speaking that's a better performance than among viewers as a whole (4.4 points below the slot average.) The 16-34 skew is 15.1%.

Demos for Last Tango in Halifax
    premiere, Tue 20 Nov 2012, 21:00-22:00, BBC One (Live+VOSDAL)
    Children 4-15	118.8	1.6%	3.4%	9.0%	11.9%	1.4%	2.1%
    Adults 16-24	155.0	2.1%	4.3%	7.9%	11.0%	2.4%	3.4%
    Adults 25-34	198.2	2.7%	7.8%	6.2%	12.3%	2.5%	5.1%
    Adults 35-44	545.5	7.5%	14.0%	13.7%	17.6%	6.6%	8.7%
    Adults 45-54	1122.8	15.4%	18.9%	22.9%	20.6%	12.9%	11.5%
    Adults 55-64	1669.6	22.9%	19.8%	36.4%	23.2%	23.3%	14.3%
    Adults 65+	3494.1	47.8%	31.8%	47.6%	24.9%	34.1%	16.5%
    [B]Individuals 4+	7304.0	100.0%	100.0%	26.8%	19.4%	12.7%	9.1%[/B]

Last Tango skews very old. Despite having less than half the total numbers as Last Tango, Great Night Out actually had more viewers (in absolute terms) in the Kids, 16-24, 25-34 and 35-44 age groups. Nearly half of Last Tango{/I]'s audience was over 65, and just 4.8% were in the 16-34 demo.
  • Options
    Mr SirsMr Sirs Posts: 4,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:yawn: BBC1 had a comedy that tanked on a Friday night, ITV did better with theirs (on a - err, Friday night) - this is a Ratings Thread, so comparisons and comments can be made that might not always suit certain channels fans. Quite simple really - but in your logic you won't discuss a poorer (or better) figure on another channel on the same night for a similar type of programme genre - :confused:
    Yes that logic makes real sense on a Ratings Thread - you also seem to have a problem with singular & plural - nowhere in my post did I mention "any ITV comedy" or "BBC comedies" - reread the post, it is in reference to 1 comedy show on BBC1 in comparison to 1 comedy show on ITV1 :sleep:
  • Options
    the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know the figures for Northern Italy Unpacked on BBC2 last night please?
  • Options
    HMOHMO Posts: 42,223
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know the figures for Northern Italy Unpacked on BBC2 last night please?

1.25m (5.1%).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    :yawn: BBC1 had a comedy that tanked on a Friday night, ITV did better with theirs

M&MJ premiered with a fairly similar audience and a very similar share to GNO, and as you say in a similar timeslot (albeit only half-an-hour), so its demos might be of interest.

Demos for Me and Mrs Jones
    premiere, Fri 12 Oct 2012, 21:30-22:00, BBC One (Live + VOSDAL)
    Children 4-15	152.7	4.9%	5.8%	10.2%	18.1%	1.8%	3.5%
    Adults 16-24	153.9	4.9%	6.1%	9.7%	18.5%	2.3%	4.6%
    Adults 25-34	282.6	9.0%	9.3%	10.5%	18.1%	3.5%	5.9%
    Adults 35-44	476.3	15.2%	15.3%	14.9%	22.3%	5.8%	9.1%
    Adults 45-54	544.2	17.4%	17.9%	14.0%	22.2%	6.3%	10.5%
    Adults 55-64	548.0	17.5%	17.2%	15.6%	22.7%	7.7%	11.9%
    Adults 65+	976.0	31.1%	28.3%	17.0%	23.9%	9.5%	14.1%
    [B]Individuals 4+	3133.5	100.0%	100.0%	14.2%	21.7%	5.5%	8.7%[/B]

A 13.9% skew to 16-34. The demo skews were remarkably close to the slot average (just a tad older), so the premiere seemed to attract the typical 'BBC One at 9.30pm on a Friday' viewer (in terms of profile, but far fewer of them - the share was 7.5 points down on the slot average). Of course it went rapidly south even from this low base and was sub-2m by the end. Whether ITV's effort will be more resilient, we shall see.
  • Options
    Roscoe BarnesRoscoe Barnes Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member
    So EE at 8.1m on a Friday night. Down 1m on the same episode last year though so maybe the crisis is continuing. ;)

Corrie is up y-o-y whilst Emmerdale is dead level.

SW drops quite abit. I don't think Thu/Fri combo is the best place for it. Mon/Tue or Sun/Mon would work better IMO. No surprise about ITV's new comedy. Pretty much where I expected it to be.
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :yawn: BBC1 had a comedy that tanked on a Friday night, ITV did better with theirs (on a - err, Friday night) - this is a Ratings Thread, so comparisons and comments can be made that might not always suit certain channels fans. Quite simple really - but in your logic you won't discuss a poorer (or better) figure on another channel on the same night for a similar type of programme genre - :confused:
    Yes that logic makes real sense on a Ratings Thread - you also seem to have a problem with singular & plural - nowhere in my post did I mention "any ITV comedy" or "BBC comedies" - reread the post, it is in reference to 1 comedy show on BBC1 in comparison to 1 comedy show on ITV1 :sleep:

Although the sitcom was called Me And Mrs Jones not Mrs Robinson :p

Easy enough to forget the title, though, or indeed, everything about it. Perhaps Mrs Robinson was the "working" title and Me And Mrs Jones was the "this-is-not-working" title.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So EE at 8.1m on a Friday night. Down 1m on the same episode last year though so maybe the crisis is continuing. ;)
    The equivalent episode of EE last year featured Pat's funeral. Was it such a big episode last night? (Not being sarcastic, I genuinely don't know, but I haven't heard anything.)
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Bad start for Itvs big new much promoted comedy, only 3.4million! Itv were hoping for 4.5million+ due to the Coro St lead in. Looks like the terrible reviews from the critics put viewers off from watching it.
This discussion has been closed.