what's the scariest film you ever saw?

Comments

• jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Evil Dead I and II.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    An 80's horror film called Xtro..something about
    an alien pod that grows..A woman has a baby but gives birth to this fully grown man and he bites his umbilical cord :eek:. its quite scary,
    and i think there are sequels to it
  • whodoowhodoo Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    ironjade wrote: »
    "The Exorcist" isn't particularly scary, just unpleasant and occasionally shocking. "Exorcist 3" is a quite creepy but 2 is just laughable.

Somebody, I can't remember who, said that the Exorcist's reputation for terror is because horror films before were mostly Christopher Lee prancing about in a cape. People apparently weren't prepared for it, Not sure I entirely agree, but there may be something to it, seems a bit patronising though.

The shining scared me, and Ghost story with Fred Astaire, and I think Douglas Fairbanks. I remember a film that was on the BBC really late when I was about 12, Called something like Ruby, set in a drive through movie site, with a dead gangster, that scared me, not sure it would now.

The films that scared me recently are The Strangers and Funny Games.
  • miaowmiaow Posts: 8,495
    Forum Member
    balthasar wrote: »
    Don't Look Now & that scene from the Exorcist 3...

Don't Look Now is very creepy!

The Shining
    When A Stranger Calls Back
    Communion
    Black Christmas
    Children of the Corn (original)
    Suspiria
    and I think this was a TV movie, The Dark Secret of Harvest Home

Love creepy films :D

Oh just checked TDSOHH was a miniseries so I guess it doesn't count.
    Forum Member
    Come to think of it The Wicker Man (original) is also pretty scary in a way.
  • frankiepigeonfrankiepigeon Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    Can't believe nobody has officially mentioned the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre. That freaked me out when I first saw it in the cinema and even though I now own it i very rarely play it as it's just too damn scary.:eek:

I'd also give honorable mentions to 28 days later and 28 weeks later.
  • Froggie72Froggie72 Posts: 5,733
    Forum Member
    Not a drop of blood in sight, no violence, no gore... yet, "The Vanishing" (original Dutch version) still scares me just thinking about it....
    Forum Member
    Froggie72 wrote: »
    Not a drop of blood in sight, no violence, no gore... yet, "The Vanishing" (original Dutch version) still scares me just thinking about it....

Yes!!! I want to see it again :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    A film called "The Strangers" violated me psychologically the first time I watched it (brilliant movie, though). Have watched it many times since and still a good frightener.

Otherwise, "Insidious"...!

*Shivers*
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    Not exactly scary, but very, very difficult to sit through was Eden Lake. It's gruesome.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Chrusby wrote: »
    A film called "The Strangers" violated me psychologically the first time I watched it (brilliant movie, though). Have watched it many times since and still a good frightener.

Otherwise, "Insidious"...!

*Shivers*
    yea,, those two i have seen, but need another veiwing some time :eek:
    Not exactly scary, but very, very difficult to sit through was Eden Lake. It's gruesome.

and also i agree..Im even too scared to watch it again..i have it on my library of recordings and abit nervous to watch it again :eek:
  • coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't believe nobody has officially mentioned the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre. That freaked me out when I first saw it in the cinema and even though I now own it i very rarely play it as it's just too damn scary.:eek:

I'd also give honorable mentions to 28 days later and 28 weeks later.

I first saw TCM when I was 16 when it premiered on Channel 4. I wasn't scared in the slightest bit. A terrible film which relies on it's grainy cinematography to give it any appeal.
  • RedSnapperRedSnapper Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me it still has to be Blair Witch - mostly for the sound in the forest and the final scene in the cellar.
    Forum Member
    I can't remember the name of it but there's a creepy and gross film where a young guy meets his girfriend's family and they look human but turn out to be aliens who feed off people by kind of melting into them several at a time, so they end up with multiple legs, heads sticking out from random parts, etc - sounds funny but it wasn't (though maybe it was meant to be!)
  • bazzaroobazzaroo Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    miaow wrote: »
    I can't remember the name of it but there's a creepy and gross film where a young guy meets his girfriend's family and they look human but turn out to be aliens who feed off people by kind of melting into them several at a time, so they end up with multiple legs, heads sticking out from random parts, etc - sounds funny but it wasn't (though maybe it was meant to be!)

That'll be Society, wonderful fun! :D

The 'shunt' scene....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcfav-5kArM

Warning, may not be to everyone's taste!
  • TedBovisTedBovis Posts: 151
    Forum Member
    [REC] the last fifteen minutes were terrifying. And another vote for "the Haunting" (the 1960's one).
    Forum Member
    bazzaroo wrote: »
    That'll be Society, wonderful fun! :D

The 'shunt' scene....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcfav-5kArM

Warning, may not be to everyone's taste!

Thank you, have been trying to remember the name for years!
  • soransoran Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One film that never scared me at first was The Others, but then I watched it in DD5.1 :eek: Never have I heard such a great use of the rear sound stage. It had me looking around on a number of occasions.

Another film that gave me the heebie jeebies was The Entity from 1981. This film is about a woman getting raped and attacked by a poltergeist, and the thing that gave it the edge was the fact that it was purportedly based on a true story!
  • KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    The movie that most terrified me at the movies was the Exorcist II (the one where she comes out of the hospital with the shears)...

It was intense in the movies... I think everyone was just channelling horror that day.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,253
    Forum Member
    The Changeling with George C. Scott - superb - watched it with friend's on a sunny saturday afternoon - we were scared witless.:eek:
  • CitizenofPhobosCitizenofPhobos Posts: 1,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..Anybody who loves a good scare needs to turn their attention to some great Japanese/Korean/Thai horror, you're missing out!
  • finkfink Posts: 2,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't like The Descent. I'm nervous about being underground, and the night-vision camera scene is still a horror gem. Moreover, the film is reminiscent of a ghost story told to us as seven year olds by our teacher one Halloween, about people who had been living down a mine for years and years.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Karis wrote: »
    The movie that most terrified me at the movies was the Exorcist II (the one where she comes out of the hospital with the shears)...

It was intense in the movies... I think everyone was just channelling horror that day.

It's been a while but isn't that "Exorcist 3"?
  • daisiesfandaisiesfan Posts: 2,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me to when I was a kid but more recently The Strangers dam this has suspense.

Totally agree about The Strangers. I went to the cinema to see it and it freaked me out in a couple of places. The masks were all so creepy. Still haven't been able to rewatch it.
  • SpencerLeveySpencerLevey Posts: 1,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Strangers remake really did freak me out after watching it.