Age Old Mystery Solved!!!

13»

Comments

• ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    I see things on the left as being first. I know that sounds weird. I think it's maybe to do with reading and writing from the left. Even if I were to order anything, I would do it from the left. So the left sort of seems the more natural default position to me. Probably has no relevance to anyone, but that's just my warped mind :p

Btw, this thread is hilarious :D
  • mourinhosmissusmourinhosmissus Posts: 5,593
    Forum Member
    I drive down the middle.
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In Sweden they also used to drive on the left but changed literally overnight!

It was a success, so why can't we do the same?
    Probably a lot easier back then with few cars and buses.

It'd never happen in the UK, it'd mean the wholesale replacement of public transport and would cost a lot of money to switch over. And it won't be the Government who'll pay the cost of it. Then you'd have the likes of Nigel Farage campaigning against it and condemning it as the EU sticking their nose in, regardless of whom is making the decision.

It's like digital radio, too many radios, better system in use everywhere else, industry and individuals have no desire to change, we keep inferior system forever. Same with left hand driving.
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TVGirl319 wrote: »
    We need to drive on the right side of the road, like 90% of the rest of the world!!

Why are we so different???:eek::eek::eek:

http://now.msn.com/minuteearth-tries-to-explain-why-we-drive-on-left-or-right-side-of-the-road?ocid=vt_fbmsnnow
    I find myself getting very easily annoyed at you :(
  • MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's like digital radio, too many radios, better system in use everywhere else, industry and individuals have no desire to change, we keep inferior system forever. Same with left hand driving.

Poor analogy. Driving on the left isn't "inferior".

Also - changing from an analog to digital radio system can be done gradually, phasing in the news equipment and phasing out the old system over time.

That can't happen with the roads - it would have to be a 1 hit job and would be a hugely complicated and costly exercise. Its not just a case of turning all the roads signs around.
  • JackieboJackiebo Posts: 1,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should go to Malta OP.

Europe drives on the right, UK drives on the left - in Malta they drive in the shade!! :D

Dennis, is that you!?
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If we started driving on the right hand side, does that mean we would start walking up stairs and keeping to the right?? We keep everything to the left here.
  • Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    I thought the "Age Old Mystery Solved" would be actually important like, Who stole the cookie from the cookie jar.
    I thought it would be who put the bomp in the bomp bah bomp bah bomp. :(
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deb Arkle wrote: »
    I thought it would be who put the bomp in the bomp bah bomp bah bomp. :(

Or who put the ram in the ramalangadingdong
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or who wrote the book of love.

Or who's zooming who. :(
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    Or who let the dogs out?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or who's that dancing in the red dress.
  • TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't one newspaper (Guardian?) run an April Fool story a while back about a phased switch from left to right? Odd numbered registrations first, with even numbers to follow later.
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or just Who are You?

Ooh ooh, ooh ooh
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or who's that girl.
  • MudboxMudbox Posts: 10,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    in 30 years, it will all be robot cars, so they could switch it overnight, if it even mattered by then.

I prefer the left.
  • MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mudbox wrote: »
    so they could switch it overnight

It may not be that simple even with robotic cars. Some road layouts/junctions (particularly on motorways) appear to have been built assuming traffic will be travelling on the left.

These same junctions may not work if traffic flow were reversed - and would have to be rebuilt or substantially modified.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alright, OP, here's the deal. We change the side of the road we drive on. But we also ban exclamation marks.

Sounds good to me.
  • trphiltrphil Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not strictly relevant to the thread but related so I'll chip in, a friend of mine in the USA recently converted his car to right hand drive "just for the heck of it". Certainly individual, fair play to the nutter too! :D
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Really? I'd have thought it was complicated to do - what with motorway slip roads, one way streets, traffic lights etc.

Well, quite. The costs of changing the road system would run into billions. Not to mention that all our steering wheels would be on the wrong side of the car...
  • patsylimerickpatsylimerick Posts: 22,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where it becomes a problem is when you go to the Continent. Thank God I'm married to someone who takes a major change in driving as an enjoyable personal challenge. I'm petrified at the prospect and have taken to hiding my driving license while we're packing.
  • lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,647
    Forum Member
    dee123 wrote: »
    I thought the "Age Old Mystery Solved" would be actually important like, Who stole the cookie from the cookie jar.

That reminds me of this :Dhttp://www.mamalisa.com/?p=133&t=es&c=23