Southcliffe

Comments

• KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    drykid wrote: »
    Next Sunday, and then the last one is on a week after that. Why the second one was scheduled differently to the others I've no idea.

Oh that's disappointing. I'd hoped they would be shown much closer together.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Next Sunday, and then the last one is on a week after that. Why the second one was scheduled differently to the others I've no idea.

What the bloody hell?
    I assumed it was 2 episodes next week, all 4 over 4 days would have been good.
    Bet they loose a good few punters next week.
    What's up with their schedulers, this can't have been cheap to make, then they bollox the scheduling.
  • jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member

Oh right thanks, I just assumed it was going to be consecutive nights .
    Forum Member
    What the bloody hell?
    I assumed it was 2 episodes next week, all 4 over 4 days would have been good.
    Bet they loose a good few punters next week.
    What's up with their schedulers, this can't have been cheap to make, then they bollox the scheduling.

Given the narrative structure it would've been much better to have screened all the episodes over four consecutive evenings. I watched episodes 1 and 2 back-to-back on 4oD and it worked really well.
  • drykiddrykid Posts: 1,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jarryhack wrote: »
    Oh right thanks, I just assumed it was going to be consecutive nights .
    I did too. It's a strange setup. Maybe they thought it would lose too many viewers if they didn't move the first two close together, but it seems to me that could still happen anyway given the long wait for ep3.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    I watched episode one and two tonight. Didn't enjoy it one little bit. Far too much flicking backwards and forwards, very confusing. Too many errors - how could the social worker get through police lines to go upstairs and see the dead mother?
    Lack of emotion from the pub landlord when learning his family had been killed.

I'm not sure who we are supposed to be sympathising with. None of the characters are particularly likable, and I can't remember most of them.
  • PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i don't understand these people saying it's confusing. i think this is what happens when the country's fed crap like eastenders four times a week :-0

as for the way people are behaving. i assume it's shock..

the killer was still on the loose when shirley henderson turned up at the house, everyone was milling around, no one seemed to know what was going on, the police as much as anyone else.

everyone is being told to stay indoors - the guy whose family were killed is in the pub with a load of men all of them shocked by what has happened. drink + shock = people not behaving rationally. i imagine the husband feels like it's all a bad dream.
    Forum Member
    PJ68 wrote: »
    i don't understand these people saying it's confusing. i think this is what happens when the country's fed crap like eastenders four times a week :-0

as for the way people are behaving. i assume it's shock..

the killer was still on the loose when shirley henderson turned up at the house, everyone was milling around, no one seemed to know what was going on, the police as much as anyone else.

everyone is being told to stay indoors - the guy whose family were killed is in the pub with a load of men all of them shocked by what has happened. drink + shock = people not behaving rationally. i imagine the husband feels like it's all a bad dream.

Must be. I am genuinely amazed that people are finding this confusing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    Well I can't speak for others but I've never watched Eastenders in my life, nor any other soap. I usually love drama series like this, certainly loved Broadchurch, and way back State of Play with John Simm.
    But I just don't like Southcliffe and don't like any of the characters, which is probably the main problem for me. We haven't had sufficient time to get to know or care about any of them because the narrative keeps jumping about.
  • fizzle90fizzle90 Posts: 6,467
    Forum Member
    PJ68 wrote: »
    Must be. I am genuinely amazed that people are finding this confusing.

I think these posts are very unfair. Just because some people are not finding it confusing to follow, it doesn't mean others aren't. Everyone understands and follows things at their own pace.
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it is a little too close to home. Starting with a family member, driving around small local roads. A seaside town and rural location. A large plant in lock down. Killing someone in their car etc. Why 2nd November? The 2nd was the date of the West Cumbrian shootings.

My girlfriend's friend lost her brother because of Bird.
  • moondewmoondew Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the radio interview Tony Grissoni said that we would learn a lot more about the various characters in the last 2 episodes. I'll definitely be watching, I like a show that doesn't treat the viewers as if they've got an IQ of 100.
  • JumptheQueueJumptheQueue Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    How much did I miss in the first episode, my recording started at the killer running along and going home to see his mum? :)
    Forum Member
    fizzle90 wrote: »
    I think these posts are very unfair. Just because some people are not finding it confusing to follow, it doesn't mean others aren't. Everyone understands and follows things at their own pace.

Fair enough but it's not exactly Coriolanus. It's a post-watershed adult drama/thriller on Ch4 that has a slightly disjointed narrative. I don't think anything in it justifies the way people have been carrying on.
    Forum Member
    How much did I miss in the first episode, my recording started at the killer running along and going home to see his mum? :)

Nothing. A woman in her garden was shot at the very start but then we see him running along the path. Clearly the woman getting shot was a 'flash forward', in case you had problems understanding it ;)
  • HarkAtHerHarkAtHer Posts: 2,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The other thing I am struggling with is the soundtrack - why all the 1980s music - I thought it was a period drama in the first episode. Didn't make sense to me.

I thought this was well observed. People like baldy man and his mates use music to relive their glory days and to bond.
    Also gives the impression that the whole place is stuck - in the house, in the mud, in the past.
  • Johnny 99Johnny 99 Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    State of Play with John Simm.

Fantastic programme.
  • stu0rtstu0rt Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just watched the two episodes back to back. Not sure what I make of it. I can appreciate the arty cinematography and staging, but I can't forgive the sound quality. At first I kept rewinding to work out what was said, but eventually gave up because it was disrupting the narrative (not that it would be easy to disrupt it any more than the editor did).

I don't mind timelines jumping around, but I found it quite annoying in this case. I really think it's one of those things you need to watch all in one go, or striped across successive nights. By next week I'll have forgotten some of the more subtle bits that will obviously be featured from another angle in the next episode.

So... good story, good cinematography, spoiled by extremely poor sound quality and slightly poor choice of editing.
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    Just caught up with EP 2.

I like how it's focusing on different stories from the village each episode. I'm enjoying it so far.
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    Rory Kinnear is really fantastic in this
  • xendesktopxendesktop Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It just feels like they lived and breathed it, sat and watched it as a whole to see how it felt etc.. forgetting that we see it mostly punctuated by adverts and then randomly on over the space of three weeks.

Listening to the director on the radio just confirmed this to me. His protestations about it not being about other mass shootings were pretty risible.
  • Vexille1Vexille1 Posts: 1,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing. A woman in her garden was shot at the very start but then we see him running along the path. Clearly the woman getting shot was a 'flash forward', in case you had problems understanding it ;)

Hmm, winking smiley notwithstanding, some of your comments are a little patronising, Kapellmeister. Many of us have no problems following other examples of films/series with complex structures; Pulp Fiction, for example, uses exactly the same mix of non-linear narrative and multiple point of view as Southcliffe but was a breeze to follow. This isn't.

It's a matter of execution, then, rather then concept, and as I and others point out, the desaturated colour and muddied audio don't assist.

Great if you have no trouble and enjoy it, but try to understand others don't but it isn't a reflection on their intelligence/ability.
  • academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davie1924 wrote: »
    Dunno, Im bored shitless so far, will give it another half hour though...

Same here. Slow. The time lapses are confusing. And the actors are mumbling so much i can't hear what they are saying.
  • LoolabelleLoolabelle Posts: 552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is the care worker the same person who played Moaning Myrtle in Harry Potter? That whining voice is very familiar.
  • ROWLING2010ROWLING2010 Posts: 3,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loolabelle wrote: »
    Is the care worker the same person who played Moaning Myrtle in Harry Potter? That whining voice is very familiar.

Yes it is. :)