Options

Southcliffe

Comments

• Options
    cuzacuza Posts: 1,745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You see at the risk of sounding like a boring old fart, I like programmes to be clear. Understandable. To start at the beginning, tell us the story and carry on in this fashion till the end. To reach a conclusion.

And for scenes to be in chronological order. Not jumping around in time like it's all happening in a time machine.

Trendies will say oh we are left to draw our own conclusions, we don't need it spelled out for us.

Bollocks. I don't want to be unsure what's going on or how it all ended. I want to KNOW!

And who was Maria and what the hell was all that about?

Answers on a postcard...
  • Options
    hetty_rosehetty_rose Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    Well, I watched it, all 4 hours, but I'm none the wiser. What was the implied terrible thing they had all done to the killer when he was a boy?!
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wish we'd heard what was going on in Chris' head rather than having to make our own minds up about it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vexille1 wrote: »
    Wow. Watched the last eps in the b/g, which doesn't aid understanding, I accept, but even so... The makers assumed the seriousness of the story would command our attention, but it didn't because of the awful execution. Did we find out why the young soldier was going to kill himself? Perhaps because he was stupid enough to believe you can fire a real gun with 'rubber bullets', whatever they are. And what was the nonsense with Maurice Roeves's conspiracy theorist who thought he could tell the make of pistol from its shot (good luck with that). Did the thug who humiliated Steven get his comeuppance?

Terrible.
    What is the b/g?
  • Options
    daisyduck1976daisyduck1976 Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not at all happy with that. I had confidence it would have some kind of resolution, and i don't mind a few loose threads, but EVERY thread was left loose! We know nothing. Absolutely nothing.

What on earth was that pointless sidetrack with the supposed brothel? I understand she was doing something that she thought her daughter would want her to, but what on earth were we supposed to do with it? And the rest of it was no better. What a waste of a fantastic cast.

Irritated. Really irritated.:mad:
  • Options
    Vexille1Vexille1 Posts: 1,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is the b/g?

Sorry, 'background'.
  • Options
    TributeTribute Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope to never watch anything with that Moaning Myrtle woman in again, her voice is so freaking annoying!
  • Options
    CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    was hoping a few of the loose ends would be tied up but didnt happen.

there seemed to be too many things going on that didnt appear relevant to the main story,

disappointing for what had the potential to be a very good programme
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vexille1 wrote: »
    Sorry, 'background'.

Thanks, I couldn't cope with more intrigue :D Though I did wonder if it was a typo for bog, an hour on the bog is excessive.
  • Options
    Vexille1Vexille1 Posts: 1,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, I couldn't cope with more intrigue :D Though I did wonder if it was a typo for bog, an hour on the bog is excessive.

:):):) Thanks that made me laugh
  • Options
    drykiddrykid Posts: 1,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair the last episode was consistent with the others; I think it was fairly clear there was never going to be some kind of big reveal (despite Ch4's rather desperate attempt in the EPG to try and suggest that the gunman isn't dead.) But still, it was a slog for me, with Shirley Henderson seriously over-acting again. I have nothing against her as an actress but she really needs a director to tell her less-is-more sometimes.

I did think that the childhood flashbacks would become a bit clearer. I didn't expect them to contain some magical answer to everything that happens in the present day. But in the end they didn't serve any purpose at all beyond letting us know that Rory Kinnear's character was bullied as a child. The implication that there was some kind of bond between him and the killer was just a big tease, it seems.
  • Options
    FBIFBI Posts: 817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another in the modern tradition of UK drama of the writer having a good idea but lacking the imagination to take the story anywhere interesting.
  • Options
    mccaffepmccaffep Posts: 314
    Forum Member
    Having watched the final episode, the only thing i can think to say about it is...
    Huh????
  • Options
    pauljoansspauljoanss Posts: 1,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very poor, do not know where to start with criticism.
    CASTING - sorry but cannot remember names but hopeless casting includes the nasty little chap (who jumped of bridge), small miserable wife with voice of a 5 year old and the Herman Monster gunman. Surely we should have been feeling empathy with the victims family but could not with those two. Also IMO the gunman would have been more believable if he had been a "normal" person turned bad by events, not a monster type right from the start.
    SOUND - some scenes in audible, had to switch on subtitles when small miserable wife was muttering.
    FLASHBACKS - maybe I am a bit slow but could not understand who was who and what was happening.
    STORYLINE - virtually none. Only understandable plot was the reporter dwelling on his past life in the village. Otherwise everything else seemed just random filling.
    Impossible not to compare with Broadchurch since common theme of how a crime can effect families.
    Result BROADCHURCH 10 : SOUTHCLIFF 0
  • Options
    Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    Well that was a colossal waste of time. Dreadful.
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Comparing Southcliffe and Broadchurch, I think there is no contest, but I think they are very different from each other. I think Southcliffe did what it aimed to do.
  • Options
    rachelgatarachelgata Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm happy with the final episode on the whole. I never expected a full reveal of the whys and wherefores and was pretty sure there would be a lot of audience-filling-in-the-blanks by the end. I personally do think there were sufficient clues in there to enable us to have a good stab at that.

My feeling is that David, bullied as a child, himself turned into a bully and his victim was Morton. David therefore feels guilty that he may have been responsible in some way for the way Morton turned out and his crime. He also has a lot of unresolved grief for his father. He goes some way to exorcising these ghosts by preventing Chris from killing himself.

Claire's response to her loss was to try to finish her daughter's work, by helping the foreign girl who was being exploited. She seems to have had a minor breakdown during this episode - again, that's just one of many possible responses to grief.

Chris and Paul (the latter we have to assume did die when he jumped off the bridge) both succumbed to their grief in the form of suicide or attempted suicide.

Claire's husband - whose name I have temporarily forgotten :o - seems to have coped quietly with his loss, in an outwardly phlegamatic way, but confesses to being lonely. You know that inside he is no less devastated, but he handles it differently.

At the end of the day Southcliffe was not about Morton and why he did it and conspiracies theories and blame, it wasn't a detective drama, it was a study in loss and grief. I don't think it was perfect but I found it compelling and well acted, very atmospheric and very moving at times.

I didn't watch Broadchurch but I gather it wasn't like Southcliffe.... :p
  • Options
    PaddyODawesPaddyODawes Posts: 469
    Forum Member
    Surprised by the sheer weight of negative comments. Broadly I'm with the Telegraph reviewer quoted upthread: "Southcliffe’s power has been its unique insistence on bringing into our living rooms a harrowing sense of the grief, numbness and trauma of mindless murder, shoving it in our faces and refusing to let us look away. " That seems about right to me. Bleak depiction of a bleak reality. Loose ends schmoose ends...it *felt* right. I at least felt throughout that this really is the kind of way these kinds of things happen, the ways this kind of thing feels. Not flawless - what is? - but like I say, very good.
  • Options
    jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    mccaffep wrote: »
    Having watched the final episode, the only thing i can think to say about it is...
    Huh????

Thank God !!I thought it was just me,never understood a thing
  • Options
    jamctjamct Posts: 579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surprised by the sheer weight of negative comments. Broadly I'm with the Telegraph reviewer quoted upthread: "Southcliffe’s power has been its unique insistence on bringing into our living rooms a harrowing sense of the grief, numbness and trauma of mindless murder, shoving it in our faces and refusing to let us look away. " That seems about right to me. Bleak depiction of a bleak reality. Loose ends schmoose ends...it *felt* right. I at least felt throughout that this really is the kind of way these kinds of things happen, the ways this kind of thing feels. Not flawless - what is? - but like I say, very good.

Sorry but I think your comments are as confusing as the program. It is late however. :confused:
  • Options
    boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I didn't think it did achieve those things so I'm not surprised at the negative comments.
  • Options
    CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    felt like the creators tried to cram too many things into 4 episodes, they should have stretched it out into a longer series.
  • Options
    nate1970nate1970 Posts: 1,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rachelgata wrote: »
    My feeling is that David, bullied as a child, himself turned into a bully and his victim was Morton

What made you think that? (I was waiting for a scene along those lines)
  • Options
    Polly DoodlePolly Doodle Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    nate1970 wrote: »

Originally Posted by rachelgata
    My feeling is that David, bullied as a child, himself turned into a bully and his victim was Morton.

What made you think that? (I was waiting for a scene along those lines)

There was certainly evidence that David was bullied. He raised the possibility that Morton was bullied in a conversation and we later had a flashback to his childhood when he was wandering around the outhouses near Morton's house. It looked as if the child Morton was acting distressed in the child David's presence.

They didn't spell it out more because a lot of this was going on in David's mind and was more about his sense of guilt about what happened than what actually happened. He either bullied Morton or didn't support him when he was bullied. Stopping Chris from going on a rampage or committing suicide helped lift this sense of guilt.

There was no simple cause and effect for Morton's rampage and people were asking themselves questions about whether they were in someways responsible and, in some cases, this added to their sense of grief.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    I feel they got the reels/scenes all mixed up. Ie dropped them then just reassembled in the Oder shown .. 4 hrs wasted