Radio Times - 12 Covers

Comments

• LowriLowri Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Went out first thing yesterday and between two shops could have chosen 1, 2, 3, 4, 9, 10, 11 or 12. I'm afraid I went for the predictable 10 because he's "my" Doctor. I would love the whole set but I think 12 magazines is pushing it in terms of both money and storage space :( I've also already spent an astonishing amount on 50th stuff already (over £100 at the last count, not including the Proms and the book I've disguised as a Christmas present for someone else ;)) Oops! :D

Bought DWM on the day (don't normally but this is a special occasion), local newsagents had quite a few left yesterday but Sainsbury's and WHSmith have sold out.
  • billykubrickbillykubrick Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's at times like these I wish I did not have a subscription because I have no choice about the cover! I would have been a bit miffed to get an anachronistic picture of Tom Baker, and while I quite like Peter Davison would rather have had Hartnell, Troughton or Pertwee! I suppose I could buy an extra copy...
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's at times like these I wish I did not have a subscription because I have no choice about the cover! I would have been a bit miffed to get an anachronistic picture of Tom Baker, and while I quite like Peter Davison would rather have had Hartnell, Troughton or Pertwee! I suppose I could buy an extra copy...
    As has been pointed out already, the covers for 1, 2, 4. 5. 6 and 7 were all anachronistic with the images coming from photo shoots for The Three Doctors and Dimensions in Time. Tom Baker just happens to be the most obvious because he had put on weight and his hair had turned grey in the 12 years since Logopolis.

Can anyone identify the pic from the Tennant cover? That seems likely to be anachronistic too. Probably shot alongside the new pics of Smith and Hurt.

So, if you definitely want a non-anachronistic cover, you can choose from Pertwee, McGann, Eccleston, Smith and Hurt.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can anyone identify the pic from the Tennant cover? That seems likely to be anachronistic too. Probably shot alongside the new pics of Smith and Hurt.

So, if you definitely want a non-anachronistic cover, you can choose from Pertwee, McGann, Eccleston, Smith and Hurt.

Tennant is not wearing the tie from the 50th special, IIRC it's got blue stripes instead of the flowers. Don't know when it's from though.
  • TributeTribute Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Usually get a 38p rag like tv choice but thought I would splash out £1.60 on the radio times this week as it may be a collectors edition sometime in the future.

It won't be.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As has been pointed out already, the covers for 1, 2, 4. 5. 6 and 7 were all anachronistic with the images coming from photo shoots for The Three Doctors and Dimensions in Time. Tom Baker just happens to be the most obvious because he had put on weight and his hair had turned grey in the 12 years since Logopolis.

Ok. So, to be pedantic, I would have preferred one of the first three doctors covers because a) I enjoyed these doctors and they look how I remember them, whereas b) the Tom Baker cover is not how I remember him. But actually my post had no comment on whether the first three doctors covers were anachronistic. It was more of a petty point concerning my lack of choice and my relative stinginess in wondering whether or not to buy another copy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    I'm from the West Midlands trying to collect all twelve but have only been successful in 1-4 and 9-12 I have practically every shop and cannot find 5-8 are there any other people having the same problem as me or can't they be bothered to issue these in the midlands
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have the full set :D

£19.20 well spent:eek:
    I would rather spend 38p on TV choice and spend that sort of money on booze.
    I went in my local Tesco and they only had the Tom Baker and Jon Pertwee covers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £19.20 well spent:eek:
    I would rather spend 38p on TV choice and spend that sort of money on booze.
    I went in my local Tesco and they only had the Tom Baker and Jon Pertwee covers.

Please. What's that going to buy you, 3 drinks or something?

Also it's their choice on what to spend their money on, surely? Without judgement, I mean.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please. What's that going to buy you, 3 drinks or something?

Also it's their choice on what to spend their money on, surely? Without judgement, I mean.

No I am not judging. If someone wants 12 identical magazines bar the cover then fine. £19.20 would buy me a big bottle of rum.
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Three shops at lunchtime today, all of them with C21st Doctors only. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr! I want a Hartnell!

Got John Hurt instead. Not a fair swap.

:mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I am not judging. If someone wants 12 identical magazines bar the cover then fine. £19.20 would buy me a big bottle of rum.

Even the tone is judgemental. 12 identical magazines. To somebody who wants them, that's something that will make them happy. As your rum will make you.

Their magazines might last longer too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even the tone is judgemental. 12 identical magazines. To somebody who wants them, that's something that will make them happy. As your rum will make you.

Their magazines might last longer too.

I was being flippant, if I had spare cash I would buy all 12. As I don't I will buy Enemy of the World next week and be happy with my chav TV mag.
  • haggy-mehaggy-me Posts: 1,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been on the lookout for the Tennant cover today but alas none of my local shops had it in stock. :(
  • LightAtTheEndLightAtTheEnd Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    Only managed to find the 4, 9 and 10 covers so far. On the hunt for the rest.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    angie25 wrote: »
    I'm from the West Midlands trying to collect all twelve but have only been successful in 1-4 and 9-12 I have practically every shop and cannot find 5-8 are there any other people having the same problem as me or can't they be bothered to issue these in the midlands

Interesting, you'll see from my previous post and location that those were the issues I found as well. Fingers crossed you find the others :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Any chance you can tell me you found yours
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    haggy-me wrote: »
    I've been on the lookout for the Tennant cover today but alas none of my local shops had it in stock. :(

Can't move for Tennant in my local shops.

Can you get me a Hartnell and then we can swap?
  • adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a wonderful thread over at GB where someone has posted his outrage that the Radio Times has used a picture of Richard Hurndall, rather than William Hartnell... you couldn't make this stuff up. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if Radio Times printed say just two covers of Hurndal and Peter Cushing how much collectors would want to pay for them?
  • sqwidge1978sqwidge1978 Posts: 1,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have the full set :D

Thats if dad doesnt lose them oh the way home !!
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cy_bones wrote: »
    Haven't seen them yet - how do they compare to these classics?

See for yourself.

Last 12 in this gallery.
  • cy_bonescy_bones Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    See for yourself.
    Last 12 in this gallery.
    Thanks - I found them after I posted earlier.

Interesting to see how which pics were used (compared to previous anniversary covers).
    Look good when lined up from left to right, just a shame that John Hurt is in the 12th position and not in between 8 and 9.