Options

Liverpool Supporters Thread (Part 19)

Comments

• Options
    SweetlikeheavenSweetlikeheaven Posts: 5,035
    Forum Member
    6 cup finals!

It's amazing to think that we're even in this position challenging for the title. I think most of us would have been ecstatic with a 4th place finish
  • Options
    TalkmanTalkman Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have now won eight games on the trot, to win the league think we might have to win
    The next six games making it 14 games on the trot not sure that's ever been done before
    In a premier league season.
  • Options
    MalbrenMalbren Posts: 3,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant that after the weekends games we are now in a position that means it is down to us, Chelsea losing :D, Arsenal/City drawing and then we stepped up to the plate and delivered big time.

Will we do it? Who knows. Can we do it? Hell yes. But this season has been a joy and even if we fal short of winning it (Please dont though) I'm sure we'll all still feel pretty good about the season.

The whole team were great again yest, from defence up to attack. Just loved Luis Suarez's reaction to scoring...he is a must keep for us to keep on improving. :)
  • Options
    Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mikeyddd wrote: »
    City won the carling cup

Did they? Must have slipped my mind... bit preoccupied with important football matters! :D Slightly negates my point, but only slightly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Been thinking a bit about Suarez's future, actually. I'd love to know what promises we made to get him to sign the new contract late last year. Based on FSG's conduct last summer I'd imagine we would simply refuse to entertain any offers no matter who they are from or what value they were. Problem is would Suarez rock the boat again if, say, RM came in offering him £300k+ per week and would FSG actually simply ignore a £100m+ offer which is what it would have to be now?

I'd like to think FSG have learned from Spurs that keeping the player is more important than taking the money, even when the money is ridiculous. I am a lot more confident that he'll stay with us than I was. I think some players might surprise us and move off of the back of this season, though.
  • Options
    Eye ItchEye Itch Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Assa2 wrote: »
    Been thinking a bit about Suarez's future, actually. I'd love to know what promises we made to get him to sign the new contract late last year. Based on FSG's conduct last summer I'd imagine we would simply refuse to entertain any offers no matter who they are from or what value they were. Problem is would Suarez rock the boat again if, say, RM came in offering him £300k+ per week and would FSG actually simply ignore a £100m+ offer which is what it would have to be now?

I'd like to think FSG have learned from Spurs that keeping the player is more important than taking the money, even when the money is ridiculous. I am a lot more confident that he'll stay with us than I was. I think some players might surprise us and move off of the back of this season, though.

I'd be surprised if his agent didn't have some kind of 'get out' clause placed in his contract. Especially after they thought he was allowed to leave when Arsenal put their bid in. I actually think he'll stay regardless of who comes in for him, since CL next year is pretty much assured. Plus there's no reason for Suarez to think you won't be fighting for the title again next season.
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Talkman wrote: »
    We have now won eight games on the trot, to win the league think we might have to win
    The next six games making it 14 games on the trot not sure that's ever been done before
    In a premier league season.

Arsenal won 14 PL games in a row back in 2002. It wasn't in the same season as it was the last 12 games in 01-02 and the first 2 of 02-03, so if Liverpool do it this season, it would be a unique achievement,
  • Options
    SweetlikeheavenSweetlikeheaven Posts: 5,035
    Forum Member
    Goal tally for the season so far in all competitions:

Suarez: 29
    Sturridge: 23
    Gerrard: 12
    Sterling: 7
    Skrtel: 6
    Henderson: 5
    Own goals: 5
    Coutinho: 4
    Moses: 2
    Flanagan: 1
    Aspas: 1
    Agger: 1
    Sakho: 1
  • Options
    ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    It's great seeing Sterling in there with 7. While the game was on yesterday, we were talking about how he must have been going hard on the weights recently because he was bullying the likes of Dembele and other players much bigger than him. I've said before but the amount of intelligence (and strength) he's added to his game already is seriously impressive.

I wish Allen's name was in the list though. He needs a few goals for his confidence.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another interesting item! So far this season we are unbeaten by any team (taking home & away matches into consideration), excepting our final 6 - only Hull have an average of a draw against us.

Of the games left, we are 3-1 to CP, 5-1 to Norwich, 4-1 to WH and 2-2 to Newcastle. City and Chelsea beat us 2-1 each. I know it's just a meh stat, but I'm bored today! :blush:
  • Options
    Joey_JJoey_J Posts: 5,146
    Forum Member
    0rch1deam wrote: »
    Another interesting item! So far this season we are unbeaten by any team (taking home & away matches into consideration), excepting our final 6 - only Hull have an average of a draw against us.

Of the games left, we are 3-1 to CP, 5-1 to Norwich, 4-1 to WH and 2-2 to Newcastle. City and Chelsea beat us 2-1 each. I know it's just a meh stat, but I'm bored today! :blush:

We've noticed :D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So of our regular outfield players only Allen and Johnson haven't scored (I'm not counting Toure or Cissokho as regulars anymore).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's hope everton beat arsenal next week because if they have a good chance
    of fourth place and Champions league they will play like men possessed when they play
    Man city and I would fancy everton to beat them.
  • Options
    misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Parthenon wrote: »
    It's great seeing Sterling in there with 7. While the game was on yesterday, we were talking about how he must have been going hard on the weights recently because he was bullying the likes of Dembele and other players much bigger than him. I've said before but the amount of intelligence (and strength) he's added to his game already is seriously impressive.

I wish Allen's name was in the list though. He needs a few goals for his confidence.

Yep he defiently needed to get on the weights and has done.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    0rch1deam wrote: »

Sounds like a stat challenge to me! I accept!

We're 22pts ahead of where we were this time last season.

We've averaged 2.8pts per game over the last 10 (which equates to 106pts for a whole season). It's 2.35pts over the last 20 games (89 for a season) and we've accumulated 83 pts over the last 38 games we've played.

We have already set a new PL record for the number of goals scored in the first half of games in a season.

No team has ever had the top 2 scorers in the league for a season.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Assa, since you seem to be the stats man (assuming you are a man) do you know how your points tally at this stage compares to the 08/09 season?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Assa2 wrote: »
    Sounds like a stat challenge to me! I accept!

We're 22pts ahead of where we were this time last season.

We've averaged 2.8pts per game over the last 10 (which equates to 106pts for a whole season). It's 2.35pts over the last 20 games (89 for a season) and we've accumulated 83 pts over the last 38 games we've played.

We have already set a new PL record for the number of goals scored in the first half of games in a season.

No team has ever had the top 2 scorers in the league for a season.

:D We're looking good, but I'm still twitchy and nervous! So good to see a few records tumbling in our wake - enjoying the ride, and yet - I really do want to let out a resounding cheer on the final whistle on the final day! :)
  • Options
    Joey_JJoey_J Posts: 5,146
    Forum Member
    GetHoppy wrote: »
    Assa, since you seem to be the stats man (assuming you are a man) do you know how your points tally at this stage compares to the 08/09 season?

In the 2008/09 season after we played 32 games, we had 70 points

so we are currently 1 point ahead of that season:)
  • Options
    ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    Pep Guardiola has reportedly said about us in his CL press conference: "I'm happy Liverpool are coming back, they are awesome. It'll be good for the Champions League next season."

:)
  • Options
    mikeydddmikeyddd Posts: 11,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's where united have gone wrong, selling him to us, he used to be a consistent scorer for united :D
  • Options
    taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,956
    Forum Member
    Parthenon wrote: »
    Pep Guardiola has reportedly said about us in his CL press conference: "I'm happy Liverpool are coming back, they are awesome. It'll be good for the Champions League next season."

:)

On the eve of his match with Man Utd. What a wind-up merchant :D
  • Options
    Eye ItchEye Itch Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    taurus_67 wrote: »
    On the eve of his match with Man Utd. What a wind-up merchant :D

Who is he winding up, exactly?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I Hope Sunderland get beat tonight because they will be more desperate for the points
    And fight harder When they play man city and Chelsea.
  • Options
    seelleeseellee Posts: 10,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Talkman wrote: »
    I Hope Sunderland get beat tonight because they will be more desperate for the points
    And fight harder When they play man city and Chelsea.

Plus West Ham will be absolutely safe with not much to play for. Mind you I'm nervous anytime we play a Sam Allardyce side. I'm pretty sure Andy Carroll, Stewart Downing, Cole and Nolan will want to prove a point. I have to say put of all the games West Ham away does scare me the most.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Carrol scores for the Hammers!
This discussion has been closed.