Mr Drew's School For Boys - 9pm Ch4

Comments

• 1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tylersnan wrote: »
    I really do agree with your post. The parents are to blame 100% there is no such disorder as ADHD!
    I'm only 20 minutes into the show and I'm astounded by the parents behaviour :o>:(

I tend to agree. I moved a fair bit and went to 5 different schools and I never met or heard of anyone who had it before about 1995, let alone anyone who was being drugged for it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Libitina wrote: »
    So his Mum works 7 days a week and it looks like his Dad spends all day on the computer. Not parenting. The lad went for the Mum and he just sat there and watched!

I think the Geordie lad is very bright and possibly started playing up due to boredom and now can't stop.

Which is why I would never watch a show like this because I know it would make me so angry.

When I was a youngster I would never have been allowed to do whats been mentioned. I would have gotten a kick up the backside.

Sounds like its a comedy show so technically its scripted and as thus not real!
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really do agree with your post. The parents are to blame 100% there is no such disorder as ADHD!

It absolutely does exist. If you saw someone with genuine ADHD then you'd realise this because they literally can't concentrate. Talking to one 14 year old with it he can very clearly explain what things are like for him and how he's trying to concentrate but unable to manage it.

In some cases it is definitely misdiagnosed though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm only 20 minutes into the show and I'm astounded by the parents behaviour :o>:(

Why are the parents to blame when its a scripted comedy.

Do people still watch shows and honestly believe its real life.

No wonder soap fans get a bad name.
  • pie-eyedpie-eyed Posts: 8,456
    Forum Member
    Why are the parents to blame when its a scripted comedy.

Do people still watch shows and honestly believe its real life.

No wonder soap fans get a bad name.

You say you didn't watch it. You do realise by commenting on a tv programme you haven't seen you risk making a bit of a prat of yourself?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These children are so used to doing the same things time and again and getting the same results - even though those results make them unhappy - I'm not sure why so many people here and on Twitter are advocating hitting and slapping and shouting as the best way to get something different.

The patience of people like Mr Drew and his team, getting beyond the surface, trying to work out ways of getting a different result and a happier more productive child is amazing and so many teachers do this day in and day out only to be considered by society to be lazy and only doing it for 'the short hours and the long holidays'.

The kids enjoying the library was inspirational and when one of them said 'I'm happier now', you realise that it's moments like that that make the job of most teachers such a fulfilling one and not reaching the next rung on the ladder that the latest Education Secretary has dreamed up.

Blaming parents/teachers/children/society/real or made up disorders/diet/lack of discipline/too much discipline/TV and computer use - plus any others I've missed out - is easy and to say all they need is a good slap would be perfect* if it worked but it doesn't. The reasons are many and complex and it takes a lot of time, patience, money and resources to try to find out what they are and set about putting them right but surely we should try otherwise we are failing these kids who will more than likely end up on benefits, in prison, on drugs, unable to do a job - costing society a hell of a lot more than it costs to try and put things right now - and become desperately unhappy adults who don't have a clue as to how to bring up their own children.

*Ironic use of the word perfect.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pie-eyed wrote: »
    You say you didn't watch it. You do realise by commenting on a tv programme you haven't seen you risk making a bit of a prat of yourself?

Not really. Even in real life you cant put the blame on parents for everything.
  • PerarduamollyPerarduamolly Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    Children need to feel safe and that someone is looking after them, if this isn't happening they push and push in the hope that someone will take control and put some security into their lives by way of boundaries. But this takes work and It gets out of control when the parent can't or won't accept responsibility for the child that they have brought into the world. From what I could see, Mr Drew is rapidly becoming a surrogate parent and the children are responding and learning from him.
  • Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I spent 20 years teaching kids like this BUT it was before the Children Act which gave so many rights to children WITHOUT giving them any responsibility. I also agree with many of the comments that it is the parents who need the education. Said that many times myself.
    All I can say now is that as they sowed they are now reaping and I am SO glad I am no longer teaching.

I agree that it's the parents who need educating especially now the schools have no power to discipline out of hand children apart from excluding them from school altogether. Social Services don't seem to have any answer to the problem of out of control children either.

Someone in my family has inherited a problem child who won't go to school, won't cooperate in the house and basically refuses to co operate. He's 13, smokes, smokes weed, has been caught shoplifting, stays out all day doing what he likes, and has been excluded from every school he's attended since the age of 8. he knows how to talk to Social Services, the Police, informs his teachers that if he puts him in the class he will disrupt it. The school have no choice but to exclude him. My personal opinion is that although he has a good vocabulary, he has poor problem solving skills and underneath the bravado he feels different from other children who seem to be able to sit in class without the need to disrupt it.

He was rejected by his own family when he was eight. He doesn't like doing anything that is difficult and requires effort. There's an excellent book by Carol Dweck which encourages teaching children to develop a growth mindset. I think that teaching children the value of a growth mindset as a subject in itself (ie personal development) would be invaluable in schools, especially with disruptive kids rather than just expecting children to automatically have the right attitude to learning.
  • TheDevil666TheDevil666 Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm still waiting to see a child with ADHD who has been raised by good parents.

Silly me...such a child doesn't exist! Just like ADHD.
  • Kazz_xKazz_x Posts: 844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You and the others who feel ADHD does not exist really need to come visit the school I have just left. Firstly, full disclosure, I work in learning support and my job was to work with children who have behavioural issues. I am not a parent.

I have dealt with children who have genuinely tried to harm themselves, just because. They swear, they run amock, they throw things, they hurt the staff. Mr Drew has it down. Patience is the key. I worked with a boy who frequently spoke about suicide, and how he couldn't concentrate because "He's done this lesson" or "it's really easy". He lashed out frequently, he broke a childs' arm and has slapped me a couple times. His mother is own her own, she has got a job working school hours so that she can be home with him. She doesn't want him passed around. She tries so hard. When I have sat with the child and spoke one on one in a calm environment he explains his situation. And now, the school are using this information to work with him.

I totally believe that ADHD is completely over diagnosed and yes, a lot of time, it is bad parenting but there are some real and genuine cases. But please don't judge unless you have been there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Clark seems very intelligent for his age, but because he is still a young child it seems his intelligence is more evolved than his common sense or emotional intelligence, and i think that might be the problem. He thinks he knows it all like an adult, but he hasn't had any experience to back it up.

Zane just seems a very spoilt little boy, the parents are to blame in this instance imo.

I hate all this ADHD nonsense, when i was at school the naughty kids were just naughty little gits :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rhumble wrote: »
    Clark seems very intelligent for his age,

Extremely so i thought.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rhumble wrote: »
    Clark seems very intelligent for his age, but because he is still a young child it seems his intelligence is more evolved than his common sense or emotional intelligence, and i think that might be the problem. He thinks he knows it all like an adult, but he hasn't had any experience to back it up.

Zane just seems a very spoilt little boy, the parents are to blame in this instance imo.

I hate all this ADHD nonsense, when i was at school the naughty kids were just naughty little gits :D

Does it matter what the label is when the problem is to find an effective way to put it right.

If it was called NLGS (Naughty Little Git Syndrome) caused by lack of boundaries, the early death of a parent, parents not having learned what good parenting means, lack of affection, bad diet, too much stimulation from TV/computers, etc etc etc - would that make you feel better about it?

My son was unable to concentrate, read or write when he started school, he couldn't do up his buttons, tie shoe laces, remember sequences, even hop. I was convinced he had dyslexia and/or dyspraxia but I was more or less told I was a middle class parent whose child wasn't as bright as we had expected him to be so wanted to give him a 'trendy label' to explain it away. At the age of 7 he was diagnosed with a genetic disorder called neurofibromatosis and suddenly his teachers and education authorities couldn't do enough to help us - it seems a long Latin name has more effect on the authorities than a trendy label. He got a lot of extra help, went to university and got a 2:1 Honours degree. Unfortunately he has suffered a lot of ill health including cancer but fights every day and is writing a book about his experiences.

It's easy to label parents or even kids but there is a lot going on beneath the surface that heros like Mr Drew try to work with but that most people would rather push away.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kazz_x wrote: »
    I totally believe that ADHD is completely over diagnosed and yes, a lot of time, it is bad parenting but there are some real and genuine cases. But please don't judge unless you have been there.

I agree that it is way over-diagnosed as it's an easy answer for doctors and the educational establishment. However, there has to be some genuine cases especially where parents have been able to raise other perfectly normal children but then have one who is out of control.
  • TylersnanTylersnan Posts: 1,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They don't exist!! :D
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pjw1985 wrote: »
    I think hes actually quite intelligent and knows what hes doing. Look at this verbal sparring with Mr Drew

I think he's a very bright lad.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched this. A lot of these boys problems are due to poor parenting. Some of them are addressing their kids as "knobs" and "********s" and worse. They don't give their offspring adequate attention and they just leave them to their own devices.

Children learn by example and what poor examples most of these parents are.

I had to laugh at the black woman who was a Behaviour expert.. Those kids were running wild in a drama lesson and she hadn't a clue what to do and just walked out.:D:D
  • RobMilesRobMiles Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really. Even in real life you cant put the blame on parents for everything.

I blame my parents for everything, all the time!
  • RobMilesRobMiles Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    I had to laugh at the black woman who was a Behaviour expert.. Those kids were running wild in a drama lesson and she hadn't a clue what to do and just walked out.:D:D

Lots of 'experts' are like this. They have read all the books on the subject, but usually don't know how to use the information in practice.
  • RodneyKRodneyK Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    Agree with most of what has been said about the parents and kids but I wonder about Mr Drew himself. My family came late to Educating Essex after seeing Educating Yorkshire first and we were entirely unimpressed by Mr Drew after seeing the job Mr Mitchell (who wasn't perfect himself) did. Mr Drew came across as whiney, inconsistent, soft on misbehaviour and disrespect and often unprofessional. So why exactly has he been given this series because he was displaying many of the same flaws here? Is he considered some kind of Superhead now? My teenage daughter said one of the first things a head teacher should be is a bit scary, but I can't imagine anyone, let alone some of the feral kids on display here, feel the slightest bit intimidated by Mr Drew even 'in angry mode'.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just too depressing to watch and after ten minutes I gave up caring what happened to them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If there is one phrase I can't stand it is 'feral kids'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dominic's swearing :o:o
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RodneyK wrote: »
    My teenage daughter said one of the first things a head teacher should be is a bit scary, but I can't imagine anyone, let alone some of the feral kids on display here, feel the slightest bit intimidated by Mr Drew even 'in angry mode'.

People in the know would say that you don't train dogs using fear and intimidation so why on earth do you think that's the way to go with kids?

These boys are already screamed and shouted at and it does no good.