Maternity clothes - for a short arse.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,256
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Does anyone know where reasonably priced and half decent quality maternity clothes for petite height ladies be bought?

My daughter is expecting and so far when we have been out looking, the stuff available is very formal, office wear or very, very mummsie. Some of it is so mummsie I wouldn't wear it and I'm going to be the Nonna!

It would be great if we could get her a few tops to start with - a bit funky would be great. She got a pair of over bump jeans from asda and she loves them.

As she is only 5 foot tall getting a big shirt in a bigger size is not an option as she'll look and feel like a beach ball or a galleon in full sail. She needs a couple of maternity tops that are cut and tailored for her height and size.

Any suggestions would be brilliant.

Comments

• gorgeousgirlgorgeousgirl Posts: 5,031
    Forum Member
    Asos has a decent selection, I've seen loads in amongst the normal stuff when shopping on there. A lot of the time its their normal range that has been changed a little too rather than a seperate frumpy section. They also have a petite range so they might have some maternity stuff in that part or even just a few lovely floaty tops that could fit the bump?

A lot of high street shops have sections too now like new look, red herring in debenhams etc
  • eluf38eluf38 Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm 5"2" and have had difficulty finding maternity stuff which isn't mumsy or far too long for me. (Not helped by the fact that most places only seem to do maternity online now!)
    H&M had shorts and cropped trousers which are a good fit on my short legs. On tall people I'd imagine the shorts would look like hot pants! I also got some black trousers and leggings from Matalan. Dorothy Perkins had lots of elasticated skirts in their sale (sounds horrid but they look trendy on) and you can have them sit above or on your bump, so you control the length.
    Tops have proved a bit more difficult to find. I got some t-shirts from Matalan, but I've been surviving by wearing baggy non-maternity t-shirts up until now. Picking up a bundle of George clothes from Asda tonight, so will let you know how they fit!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone.

We ordered the jeans from asda and picked them up instore. Our nearest store doesn't have a changing room so it was a case off trying them on at home and if they didn't fit taking them back to the shop for return.

The lady in our nearest Asda told us if they get maternity clothes returned they keep them in the back then put them out on the shop floor so sometimes you might get lucky and find some trousers or tops or dresses lurking in the rails . I now make a point of asking everytime I'm in Asda if they have any maternity wear just incase they have something in her size!
  • LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    Couldn't fault my New Look mat jeans, ordered online and still wear them now...4 months after the birth.
  • Wee TinkersWee Tinkers Posts: 12,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glad you got sorted. Didn't even know asda did mat clothes.

I'm 5ft and small framed and got most of my mat wear from next. Got a few bits from Dorothy perkins and even fewer from mothercare (in the sale because I found them overpriced, and also a bit mumsy).

Oh, and congratulations to your daughter!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Couldn't fault my New Look mat jeans, ordered online and still wear them now...4 months after the birth.

I asked my daughter if anyone had told her she would still need preggers clothes after she had her baby as she would still look expecting- she said no - everyone I know with a baby say they go straight into "normal" clothes.

I burst that bubble - It's a long long time since I had a baby and no ****er told me I would still look preggers after the birth. Yeah I could get my before baby jeans on and fasten them - for a very short time - but it hurt toooooo much. My preggers trousers, skirt and tops were so great to wear. I only had them for about 10 days after #3 was born - My neice was expecting and needed suitable for work clothes. So she got them. I had the multi coloured and patterned big tops(great for breast feeding- stains don't show) and leggings to get by on till I needed something a bit more smart or dressy

My daughter loves the over bump trousers and jeans - do new look do those? Also some funky young type tops would be great. She's 20 not 32 or 40. The majority of the clothes we've seen seems to be aimed more at "older" mums or very very tall mums.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad you got sorted. Didn't even know asda did mat clothes.

I'm 5ft and small framed and got most of my mat wear from next. Got a few bits from Dorothy perkins and even fewer from mothercare (in the sale because I found them overpriced, and also a bit mumsy).

Oh, and congratulations to your daughter!

Asda has their maternity stuff online. You order it and it gets delivered to your nearest store. If it's no good you take it to the store and get refunded etc. The stores sometimes have returned maternity wear they put out on the rails - well that's what the lady at Asda told me and my daughter did get a pair of work trousers that way in one Asda. The same lady told me they sometimes have returned stuff "in the back". I ask when I'm in an Asda if they have any maternity stuff.

As for mothercare - I was all ready to try on a lovely wee blue and white sun dress ( I'm gonna be the Nonna FFS) and was stopped by the daughters AKA #1 and 3 Slavette. The styles and cut of everything was for older mums or maybe it is aimed at the grandparents
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought 3 tops off the Asda website and arranged to collect them in store - and they lost the bloody order! Not a happy bunny. Will not be using them again!

New Look have a good online range also - but why are maternity clothes so hard to find in-store? Only Matalan, H&M and New Look near me have them in store, and even then, it's usually a very limited stock in their larger stores. Such a pain!
  • LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    I asked my daughter if anyone had told her she would still need preggers clothes after she had her baby as she would still look expecting- she said no - everyone I know with a baby say they go straight into "normal" clothes.

I burst that bubble - It's a long long time since I had a baby and no ****er told me I would still look preggers after the birth. Yeah I could get my before baby jeans on and fasten them - for a very short time - but it hurt toooooo much. My preggers trousers, skirt and tops were so great to wear. I only had them for about 10 days after #3 was born - My neice was expecting and needed suitable for work clothes. So she got them. I had the multi coloured and patterned big tops(great for breast feeding- stains don't show) and leggings to get by on till I needed something a bit more smart or dressy

My daughter loves the over bump trousers and jeans - do new look do those? Also some funky young type tops would be great. She's 20 not 32 or 40. The majority of the clothes we've seen seems to be aimed more at "older" mums or very very tall mums.

I can fit into my normal jeans no problem but the over bump mat ones are so comfy, I've just kept wearing them! Saves doing up the zip and button too :blush:
    New Look do a great range of over bump, under bump and I got most of my mat tops from there too and I'm 23 so not all for older people.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone who took the time to help me.

I made a purchase in asda - a little dress for my daughter. it's like this only orange http://direct.asda.com/george/womens/maternity-clothes/little-black-maternity-dress/G004347977,default,pd.html[/URL]

It was on the sale rail for 6 quid.

She has a christening to go to soon and I thought it was a possible wee dress for the occasion. It's going to be quite a formal "do" She says it looks nice on me :confused: but she thinks it's too fitted for her. I thought it looked lovely on her. She's worried people will think she is fat.

She might reconsider but as she said it looks fine on me I'm sure I will wear it. At £6 it hasn't broke the bank.

When I was expecting I did wear close fitting clothes as I hated the bloody smocks that made me look like a marquee on feet.

She loves the dresses Holly on This Morning wears.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone who took the time to help me.

I made a purchase in asda - a little dress for my daughter. it's like this only orange http://direct.asda.com/george/womens/maternity-clothes/little-black-maternity-dress/G004347977,default,pd.html[/URL]

It was on the sale rail for 6 quid.

She has a christening to go to soon and I thought it was a possible wee dress for the occasion. It's going to be quite a formal "do" She says it looks nice on me :confused: but she thinks it's too fitted for her. I thought it looked lovely on her. She's worried people will think she is fat.

She might reconsider but as she said it looks fine on me I'm sure I will wear it. At £6 it hasn't broke the bank.

When I was expecting I did wear close fitting clothes as I hated the bloody smocks that made me look like a marquee on feet.

She loves the dresses Holly on This Morning wears.

My bump is still quite small. If I'm honest I just look as though I've put on about a stone in weight. Because of this I shamelessly mentioned I'm expecting, so that people know I've not been greedy! In a party it's quite easy (no thank you, no champagne for me, not whilst I'm pregnant) and once you tell a couple of people, everybody starts congratulating you and asking you how you're feeling.

I'm not so self-conscious about it now, because I can feel baby kicking and she reminds me that she's busy growing up and she will be worth the weight/wait!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know where reasonably priced and half decent quality maternity clothes for petite height ladies be bought?

My daughter is expecting and so far when we have been out looking, the stuff available is very formal, office wear or very, very mummsie. Some of it is so mummsie I wouldn't wear it and I'm going to be the Nonna!

It would be great if we could get her a few tops to start with - a bit funky would be great. She got a pair of over bump jeans from asda and she loves them.

As she is only 5 foot tall getting a big shirt in a bigger size is not an option as she'll look and feel like a beach ball or a galleon in full sail. She needs a couple of maternity tops that are cut and tailored for her height and size.

Any suggestions would be brilliant.

I'm 5ft 4 and I had the same sort of issues. I bought clothes and then took them to the tailors to be trimmed, dresses, jeans and trousers. Tops were an issue all are too long but later in pregnancy (the last month) the shorter ones rode up and I didn't like that.

I like some of Seraphines tops, they're not frumpy or mummsy. They have a sale on and most of the clothes are reasonably priced. Have you tried their website? Isabelle Oliver have some but I couldn't wear anything clingy to my pregnant belly as it was so uncomfortable. Maybe you and your daughter will like their clothes.

Dorothy perkins and next do maternity but I don't know what they're like.

Asos are pretty good for non-frumpy clothes. My sister bought lots of tops from there. Most were long, so she wore them with regular leggings to the end of her pregnancy.

Ebay are good too for new maternity clothes. Many women bought loads of maternity clothes and never wore them and sell them new with tags on ebay. I got some jeans etc from there.
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am 5ft 1in and as I didn't want to spend a lot of money I lived in leggings when pregnant.

I had casual tops and smarter tops, different shoes / boots and found I could really smarten up leggings with a dress / some heels etc.

I got loads on ebay, and the odd bits in the sales (New Look and H&M mainly)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daughter and I had a trip to Mothercare. We were going to test drive some prams but MY GOODNESS a sale was on.

She got two bras for a fiver, A funky T-shirt for 3 quid, a tankini? (swim suit thing) for a fiver and some preggers knickers - they were 8 quid - not in the sale.

She's over the moon with the T-shirt and well pleased with the bras. The physio she's being seeing told her swimming would be good as she's having serious pelvic pain and swimming is a non weight bearing exercise .

Her and I went to the adult only session at the baths this evening.... she nearly wet herself laughing when I said I'd go with her swimming. I can't let her go to the baths herself. Most of her mates seem to have forgot about her and don't include or invite her anywhere :( And the thing is it's my hubby who's managed to convince our girls that I CAN NOT SWIM. He's got a fear of me in water and even though I swam a mile last year in a ****ing lake for a good cause they have all forgot about it.

The preggers knickers are getting the thumbs up for comfort and how they feel when on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daughter and I had a trip to Mothercare. We were going to test drive some prams but MY GOODNESS a sale was on.

She got two bras for a fiver, A funky T-shirt for 3 quid, a tankini? (swim suit thing) for a fiver and some preggers knickers - they were 8 quid - not in the sale.

She's over the moon with the T-shirt and well pleased with the bras. The physio she's being seeing told her swimming would be good as she's having serious pelvic pain and swimming is a non weight bearing exercise .

Her and I went to the adult only session at the baths this evening.... she nearly wet herself laughing when I said I'd go with her swimming. I can't let her go to the baths herself. Most of her mates seem to have forgot about her and don't include or invite her anywhere :( And the thing is it's my hubby who's managed to convince our girls that I CAN NOT SWIM. He's got a fear of me in water and even though I swam a mile last year in a ****ing lake for a good cause they have all forgot about it.

The preggers knickers are getting the thumbs up for comfort and how they feel when on.

Some of the mothercare things I saw were quite reasonably priced... others less so. I thought the jeans for example, were very expensive, but t-shirts were comparable with Matalan for price.

As for not being invited out by her mates, she's not alone... my bezzie mates (twins) more or less ignored me since announcing the pregnancy. I can only imagine they don't want to sit there talking about babies for hours (as if I would!) They've promised we'll go out soon though. The upside is that I have been spending more time with my Mum and sister. We went to the adult only swim last week, and it was nice to be able to exercise without feeling clumsy and heavy. Once I'm off on maternity leave (2 weeks!) I intend to go during the day too. A nice outdoor pool would be lovely today...