English support at Commonwealth games fantastic!

OnexOneOnexOne Posts: 3,816
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi folks, after watching most of the events the one thing that really got to me was the fantastic support ENGLAND have had at these games in GLASGOW,SCOTLAND! well done Scotland, Not only have the home nation been so well supported but so has England and well done to the travellling support from England also! great stuff.

Comments

• Angels_babyAngels_baby Posts: 1,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was disgraceful of the media to suggest that they would have been give a hostile reception in the first place!
  • OnexOneOnexOne Posts: 3,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was disgraceful of the media to suggest that they would have been give a hostile reception in the first place!

well said!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It just really irritated me at the time. That and the shock at the opening ceremony when the England team were introduced to the crowd cheering rather than booing. Such out of date prejudices!
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,389
    Forum Member
    It's hard to go from supporting Britain at the Olympics to retreating into seperate Home Nations loyalties at the Commonwealths.

Any success for a Home Nation makes me happy.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    During the Olympics our Irish chums were posting that the Irish were also supporting GB when there was no Irish athlete in competition.......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As it should be. Too much made of nothing, all the home nations are neighbours after all.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It just really irritated me at the time. That and the shock at the opening ceremony when the England team were introduced to the crowd cheering rather than booing. Such out of date prejudices!

From the events that I went to last weekend, I'd say around half of the crowds were from England anyway.

But even taking that into account, there was still excellent support for all of the home nations from everyone.
  • CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    Was at Hampden for the 100m finals and didnt think I would ever cheer an English person at the national stadium unless he was getting sent off but I did throughout the decathlon and Adam gemilli

The only times I haven't been happy to cheer are the team competitions and the badminton, something about gabby Adcock annoyed me

Also think.it helps that England are using Jerusalem as their anthem instead of gstq, it's a much more likeable tune
  • CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    England get the best support from any country all over the world at these things
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Caltonfan wrote: »
    Was at Hampden for the 100m finals and didnt think I would ever cheer an English person at the national stadium unless he was getting sent off but I did throughout the decathlon and Adam gemilli

The only times I haven't been happy to cheer are the team competitions and the badminton, something about gabby Adcock annoyed me

Also think.it helps that England are using Jerusalem as their anthem instead of gstq, it's a much more likeable tune

Thank you for the support. It was much appreciated :)
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    OnexOne wrote: »
    Hi folks, after watching most of the events the one thing that really got to me was the fantastic support ENGLAND have had at these games in GLASGOW,SCOTLAND! well done Scotland, Not only have the home nation been so well supported but so has England and well done to the travellling support from England also! great stuff.

Indeed, it was one of the (many) nice things that stood out during the Games. :cool: