Options

'Facts' that are not true

Comments

• Options
    bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    “Play it again Sam” and “do you feel lucky punk?” are often misquoted.

The actual words spoken were “‘play it Sam” and “well do ya’ punk?”

Both are quotes from the ‘Nasty Harry’ series of films that were very popular in the late 1950’s.

The lead character ‘Nasty Harry Corrigan’ was played by the late great English actor, Sir Steve McQueen. (McQueen was often referred to as "The Ice King")

It’s amazing how the truth gets distorted over the years.

I really wish people would get their facts right before posting inaccurate information! >:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Patti-Ann wrote: »
    Looking at google, Napoleon was 5 feet 6. If that was classed as 'above average', what was the height of the average male - not very tall :o
    The confessions of a `Shortarse`

http://www.shortsupport.org/Essays/JohnMoffat.html
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adams forbidden fruit was never revealed in the bible as being an apple
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bri160356 wrote: »

Both are quotes from the ‘Nasty Harry’ series of films that were very popular in the late 1950’s.

The lead character ‘Nasty Harry Corrigan’ was played by the late great English actor, Sir Steve McQueen. (McQueen was often referred to as "The Ice King")

I really wish people would get their facts right before posting inaccurate information! >:(

Both are not quotes Nasty Harry films. Oh the irony:D
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Patti-Ann wrote: »
    Looking at google, Napoleon was 5 feet 6. If that was classed as 'above average', what was the height of the average male - not very tall :o

It's common knowledge that the average height has increased in the last few centuries. Better diets.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    Polar bears live on a diet of spaghetti.
  • Options
    GeneralissimoGeneralissimo Posts: 6,289
    Forum Member
    13 is interesting. People like to tell me off when I use "less" and "fewer" haphazardly.

I'm not a violent person, but I could happily punch anyone who corrects the use of "less" with "fewer".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not a violent person, but I could happily punch anyone who corrects the use of "less" with "fewer".

just say ''more or fewer doesn't sound right ''
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    That's base to peak height. Everest is considered the highest mountain, as you can see the base without going underwater. Basically, what is hidden underwater doesn't count.

It's all about definitions. Everest is the highest altitude but is not the furthest from the centre of the earth.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    Although it isn't correct it isn't ridiculous in itself because you do get unexpected behaviour in some species. A good example of this is if you turn a great white shark upside down it will become immobile, okay easier said than done but killer whales that hunt great whites actually do this before killing them.

Once in all of recorded history that has happened despite the endless bullshit about it on the net.

I agree certain Orca pods do target sharks but I have never heard of any other great whites been taken apart from that one time in 1997 after tonic immobility was induced.

The shark was a juvenile - the orcas were adults.

I have spoken about this incident in the white shark thread. :)
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bri160356 wrote: »

Well researched there. It's not generally known that Steve (The Ice King) McQueen was married to Rock Hudson's sister, Beryl Hudson.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    Is it. So, what's the reason for keeping all the other breeds and makes of fish in captivity.

An ex of mine thought the same. I told her it was a Steve Coogan persona, like Tony Ferrino and Paul/Pauline Calf.

Most of these misquotes are essentially saying the same thing as the original quote, but pedant city kicks in because the quote isn't quoted exactly word for word.

It's like 'Do you feel well' being misquoted as 'Are you well', which are basically saying the same thing.

That's base to peak height. Everest is considered the highest mountain, as you can see the base without going underwater. Basically, what is hidden underwater doesn't count.

Human vanity.

Fish (and many other animals) are far more intelligent than they have ever been given credit for with very complex social lives as recent cognitive studies have shown. I do not feed my fish in the winter (their metabolisms slow down when the water gets cold) - but they always remember me months later and come to be fed out of my hand. :)

The reason the memory myth was propagated was probably that it enabled people to keep a fish trapped in a very small bowl without feeling any guilt.
  • Options
    adopteradopter Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JM Barrie didn't invent the name Wendy.
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    adopter wrote: »
    JM Barrie didn't invent the name Wendy.

But, is that a fact that isn't true or is it a fact?
  • Options
    Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    Pasta is not an Italian dish.
    Bats aren't blind.
    Chameleons don't change colour to blend in.
    Vikings didn't have horns on their helmets.
    You don't sink in quicksand, you float.
    Daddy long legs aren't poisonous.

I have hundreds.
  • Options
    Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    Centaurion wrote: »
    Eating Carrots has no effect on your eyesight but it makes your
    wee go a bit orangey.
    Actually, eating carrots is good for your eyes since they contain Vitimin A which helps your body synthesise a pigment which aids sight in low light conditions.
  • Options
    5hane5hane Posts: 2,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Man landed on the moon
  • Options
    JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    5hane wrote: »
    Man landed on the moon

Conspiracy Theorist Alert!!!
  • Options
    bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    burton07 wrote: »
    Well researched there. It's not generally known that Steve (The Ice King) McQueen was married to Rock Hudson's sister, Beryl Hudson.

Thanks for the compliment; I do pride myself on my accuracy. :)

I was aware of McQueen’s marriage to Beryl Hudson; however, it was over very quickly due to her affair with Thomas Crown.
  • Options
    FIN-MANFIN-MAN Posts: 1,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [/B]

Once in all of recorded history that has happened despite the endless bullshit about it on the net.

I agree certain Orca pods do target sharks but I have never heard of any other great whites been taken apart from that one time in 1997 after tonic immobility was induced.

The shark was a juvenile - the orcas were adults.

I have spoken about this incident in the white shark thread. :)

Haha, as soon as he posted that I knew you would be along shortly. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FIN-MAN wrote: »
    Haha, as soon as he posted that I knew you would be along shortly. :)

I am very predictable! :D
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll admit that I never questioned the 'Great Wall of China is visible from space' one. I assumed they were telling me the truth. :D I guess 'space' must refer to the distance at which satellites orbit the earth or greater.

They are actually incorrect on that one, correct in that you cannot see all of it due to the colour of it but you can see parts of it as has been said and are visible on photos taken from the International Space Station in 2005.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Neither is lasagne, according to some food historians.

Apparently, the version we know today was invented in good old Britain. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dinosaurs are extinct.

Nope - you hear them singing in your garden every morning. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Bats aren't blind.
    Chameleons don't change colour to blend in.
    Vikings didn't have horns on their helmets.
    You don't sink in quicksand, you float.
    Daddy long legs aren't poisonous.

I have hundreds.

Isn't pasta actually an Italian version of Chinese/Far Eastern noodles brought to Italy along trade routes from the Far East?.

Or am I wrong as usual? :)