Who Do you Think You Are? New Series

Comments

• CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    Ivan the historian obviously not good at geography, unless I'm mistaking last time I checked Glasgow was still in Scotland and always has been
  • BluejuBlueju Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cant take to tonight's show. I agree with the previous comments. She looks like shes going through the motions.... not much of a story either really and its a bit repetitious and boring. Hope she buys a new gravestone there.
  • StuntyStunty Posts: 45,690
    Forum Member
    I think this programme is hitting the buffers. Tamzin Outhwaite getting weepy over her grandad being interned on the Isle of Man during the war is ludicrous. Sure, it probably wasn't great but it wasn't exactly Auschwitz. She is acting like she doesn't know anything at all about WW11

I thought quite the same there, but then thought I was a bit hard hearted. :blush:

However it was bleak for everyone in Britain during the war, perhaps not as incarcerated as internment, but travel was next to nothing, paltry rations, and a very hard and austere life ensued.

We don't know what 'austerity' is, when we talk about it in relation to today.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    Yes and her nan was calling them Concentration Camps we did not put prisoners to death. They were Internment Camps.

Adlemo(sp) was released she saw his release papers.
    Yes and Tamzin called it an internment camp a number of times.
    I think she was right anyway concentration camp doesn't mean the inmates are put to death IIRC.
    CMK29 wrote: »
    Funnily enough, even with the tears, I'm finding her very cold. I would never have guessed she had Italian blood. And I really can't get my head round that she didn't know about the internment camps - I thought that was pretty well known.

Knew someone would say they were surprised she didn't know about the internment camps.
  • StuntyStunty Posts: 45,690
    Forum Member
    Blueju wrote: »
    I cant take to tonight's show. I agree with the previous comments. She looks like shes going through the motions.... not much of a story either really and its a bit repetitious and boring. Hope she buys a new gravestone there.

I heard that they scrap some proposed prgrammes, after research tells them that the back story isn't that interesting!!!

Ice Cream ...... well who would have thunk it. :o:D
  • snoweyowlsnoweyowl Posts: 1,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some years ago there was a programme about the Isle of Man internment camps. The gist of it was that it was more holiday camp than anything else. Also most of the internees were released after a short while as the panic declined. The depiction here was highly unconvincing.

All in all a dull episode trying desperately to introduce drama that never existed.
  • Evs814Evs814 Posts: 286
    Forum Member
    snoweyowl wrote: »
    Some years ago there was a programme about the Isle of Man internment camps. The gist of it was that it was more holiday camp than anything else. Also most of the internees were released after a short while as the panic declined. The depiction here was highly unconvincing.

All in all a dull episode trying desperately to introduce drama that never existed.

I think David Baddiel's story took us here too. It was depicted as a sort of university with lectures and music.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this programme is hitting the buffers. Tamzin Outhwaite getting weepy over her grandad being interned on the Isle of Man during the war is ludicrous. Sure, it probably wasn't great but it wasn't exactly Auschwitz. She is acting like she doesn't know anything at all about WW11
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    Yes and her nan was calling them Concentration Camps we did not put prisoners to death. They were Internment Camps.

Concentration Camp is an alternative name for Internment Camp, they have an unfortunate association because of the Germans in WWII but there have been various types for a few hundred years.

It's a pity that they do not have an expert on hand to stop them jumping to wrong conclusions and in this case explain why aliens were interned.

It is easy to criticise someone for getting 'weepy' but it can get quite emotional when you hear things about ancestors.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caltonfan wrote: »
    Ivan the historian obviously not good at geography, unless I'm mistaking last time I checked Glasgow was still in Scotland and always has been

He said 'England' when talking about earlier Italian immigrants so quite possibly accurate. He then talked about the later large numbers he settled around Glasgow.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stunty wrote: »
    We don't know what 'austerity' is, when we talk about it in relation to today.

It seems to now mean that the family only have one iPad and iPhone each. The term 'poverty' has been grossly misused by many modern politicians.
  • CMK29CMK29 Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    Paolo Nutini's dad is from Barga too - wonder if they're related? :D
  • shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
    Forum Member
    I thought this one was far more interesting than the Brian Blessed/Julie Walters ones.
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, bit of an unfair swipe at Tazmin, her tears looked real as she read the release card.
    Who knows what makes people cry.

Veteran viewers of WDYTYA will be used to floods of tears from the most mundane of words, pictures or letters.

I remember Kirsty Wark having three attempts at reading her relative's letter to his parents from the trenches of WW1 , only getting as far as " My poor wee pencil can scarcely express my love and devotion ........" before getting all unnecessary.
  • penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It wasn't so much her tears as her complete ignorance. One would have presumed she had some education.
  • CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    He said 'England' when talking about earlier Italian immigrants so quite possibly accurate. He then talked about the later large numbers he settled around Glasgow.

Maybe a bad edit but came across as Glasgow is in England
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caltonfan wrote: »
    Maybe a bad edit but came across as Glasgow is in England

No, he said England but he meant GB/UK

He's a dick.

Ivan is the last of a dying breed of otherwise intelligent people who can't , or won't, understand the quite simple and 300 year old socio/politico/geographo make up of the UK.
  • RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It might be more interesting next week. According to the info on my TV planner, Brendan O'Carroll wants to find out
    who murdered his grandfather
    :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CMK29 wrote: »
    Paolo Nutini's dad is from Barga too - wonder if they're related? :D

The post there did say something about it being the most Scottish place in Italy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wasn't so much her tears as her complete ignorance. One would have presumed she had some education.

Perhaps it is a comment on the British education system of the 1970s and 1980s - would that be the era of ILEA?
  • Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like others have said, I thought that tonight's episode was very poor and seemed to be making a lot over something that wasn't really that long ago and about which most people would know about anyway. It is well known that the prisoners interred there were not having a bad time, it was worse for the families left behind. The prisoners had nice accomodation facing the sea and were kept warm and fed and had plenty to do there.

So far there have been two poor episodes and one good one this series, I do hope it begins to pick up next week.
  • Bryant N MayBryant N May Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't think there was enough interesting about this guy's story to make a good programme. Just as importantly he wasn't far enough back in Tamsin Outhwaite's tree to create any intrigue for her and she knew where he came from and how his later life panned out.

In the Brian Blessed episode he seemed gripped by the story since he didn't know what was going to become of his relative and that created a good story.
  • J.RJ.R Posts: 2,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have mixed feelings about this weeks episode. I am not a fan or otherwise of Tamsin but quite liked her - I thought her tears were genuine but the most interesting part was watching her learn to make ice cream! I was irritated with her for going on so much about her grandfathers and uncles internment. They may have been 'just' ice cream makers but that wouldn't exclude them automatically from being fascists! It was a safety precaution and both were released later. I just kept thinking of all the poor young men the same age as her uncle who were conscripted and sent to their deaths!
    It seems this series they are concentrating solely on just one side of the family which was fine in BB's case as it was still interesting but they do seem to be overlooking the mothers side - actually I can't remember whose Julie Walters folllowed?!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like others have said, I thought that tonight's episode was very poor and seemed to be making a lot over something that wasn't really that long ago and about which most people would know about anyway. It is well known that the prisoners interred there were not having a bad time, it was worse for the families left behind. The prisoners had nice accomodation facing the sea and were kept warm and fed and had plenty to do there.

So far there have been two poor episodes and one good one this series, I do hope it begins to pick up next week.

I enjoyed the programme far more than the previous two though Brian Blessed was, as always, entertaining!

Most programmes about internment have been about German internees, mainly the Jewish ones who were kept separate from the hardline Nazis so were able to have concerts, lectures etc. The Italians appear to have been all kept together so the ordinary internees suffered from intimidation from the committed Fascists. I have not heard anything about that previously.

Often the worst part of internment was those who wanted to help the war effort but for purely practical reasons the first priority was to intern any aliens and identifying the ones who could be released took time because it was not a high priority.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it's ignorant not to know UK WW2 minor details like the Italian detainee camp on the IOM.
    I hadn't heard of it till The World At War featured it.
  • Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to say I turned off before the end. I had the feeling that Tamsin knew much of this before the show. They do seem to be struggling and the concentration on only one ancestral line is making the shows drag. Brendan next week should be OK. I did read about it in a magazine and it is big bad UK killing Irish again.