Pure rip off >:(>:(
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    Truly beggars belief :D:D
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »
    Can you post any quotes where people have described the larger screen as "innovative"?

I've got a 5S that I upgraded from a 4 and it is all I need.

Are you making an assumption that anyone getting a 6 already has a 5S?

Aww Calico I have to take my hat off to you. You haven't rushed out to buy the 6, I guess you still believe in the magical 300 ppi and the law of diminishing returns. :cool:
  • GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    No wonder some many apple posters are as deluded as they are mind. Looking at the Apple propaganda sites and the nonsense they post as facts. Anyone reading these sites and actually believing it is seriously brainwashed.

:o:o

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/09/16/iphone-6-plus-1gb-ram/

:D Never heard nowt like it, having less RAM in HELPS performance???!!!!!! :o

Think I'll take one of the 4Gb RAM modules out of my PC now (wheres that rolling eye smiley when you need it?!)
  • tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,660
    Forum Member
    :D Never heard nowt like it, having less RAM in HELPS performance???!!!!!! :o
    Agreed, that makes no sense. However the need for RAM is lower when you don't use an intermediary code language like Java.

Less RAM helps battery life too.
  • jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why the hell does Apple sell more RAM for its computers if it cuts performance? The bastards told me 4GB in my MacBook Air was going to make it faster, but it must slow it down AND kill the battery.

And like a fool I bought 8GB for my iMac, and now have a machine that crawls due to having 12GB.

I wonder if they can run on 512MB? Maybe take out the RAM altogether?
  • tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,660
    Forum Member
    jonmorris wrote: »
    Why the hell does Apple sell more RAM for its computers if it cuts performance?

Comparing OS X and iOS now? Like comparing a car to a ship, no ?
  • GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jchamier wrote: »
    Agreed, that makes no sense. However the need for RAM is lower when you don't use an intermediary code language like Java.

Less RAM helps battery life too.

Possibly so but they exhibit real problems when multitasking/browser tabs.

People bang on about how smooth they are but now and again it would stutter like mad.

More RAM would have solved a fundamental problem and it would have felt like a good upgrade. But they didn't. The cynic in me thinks I know why, but you'll never be able to prove it of course.
  • Sunset DaleSunset Dale Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why the hell does Apple sell more RAM for its computers if it cuts performance? The bastards told me 4GB in my MacBook Air was going to make it faster, but it must slow it down AND kill the battery.

And like a fool I bought 8GB for my iMac, and now have a machine that crawls due to having 12GB.

I wonder if they can run on 512MB? Maybe take out the RAM altogether?

I wouldn't have classed you as an Apple person Jon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't have classed you as an Apple person Jon.

11 years ago I wasn't. PC all the way, after the Amiga and C64..

I love Apple products. I like the design too, but that doesn't make me automatically love iOS (but for what it's worth I have an iPod touch that topped out at iOS 6) and blindly defend what are clear limitations and disappointments.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jchamier wrote: »
    Comparing OS X and iOS now? Like comparing a car to a ship, no ?

I wasn't being serious.
  • FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    Well I managed to get myself kicked off the overclockers forum, well for a short time that is, simply for daring to question the Apple logic with the 6. One thing you can always rely on with iPhone owners, they can't take any criticism whatsoever.

I'm assuming a great many of them on that particular thread are just young kids though as they have no financial sense whatsoever. The money they are shelling out just to be able to say they have the latest iPhone is astonishing.

If they are our future then God help us all.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just to contribute to the iOS RAM debate.

As soon as Apple produce an iOS device with more than 1GB RAM, developers would presumably start creating apps that support it. This mean you now have apps that only run on a subset of iOS devices. This creates all sorts of end user confusion.

There are some truly amazing apps like GarageBand which cope with 1GB RAM so it can't be too much of an issue.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's probably a lot of truth in that, but the RAM issue isn't so much about running individual apps, but rather running multiple apps.

And the lack of RAM on some Android devices has the same problems, even if almost all apps run on their own.

A good example was the ability to be productive by swapping back and forth between apps to fill in a web form, only for the form tab to close.

I can say I had similar problems on Android where I was trying to publish an article via the Wordpress app and it closed while I swapped to an app to edit some photos.

More RAM has ensured I can't remember when I last had an app close because of a lack of memory.
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aww Calico I have to take my hat off to you. You haven't rushed out to buy the 6, I guess you still believe in the magical 300 ppi and the law of diminishing returns. :cool:

It's not magical, and it's not an exact figure.

But yes, I still *believe* that there comes a point when the human eye can no longer distinguish individual pixels during normal use.

Just to be clear here - are you actually disputing that?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Possibly so but they exhibit real problems when multitasking/browser tabs.

People bang on about how smooth they are but now and again it would stutter like mad.

More RAM would have solved a fundamental problem and it would have felt like a good upgrade. But they didn't. The cynic in me thinks I know why, but you'll never be able to prove it of course.

Is it that issues with tabs in Safari might be the difference that makes people buy more new iPhones more frequently?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    Just to contribute to the iOS RAM debate.

As soon as Apple produce an iOS device with more than 1GB RAM, developers would presumably start creating apps that support it. This mean you now have apps that only run on a subset of iOS devices. This creates all sorts of end user confusion.

There are some truly amazing apps like GarageBand which cope with 1GB RAM so it can't be too much of an issue.

Exactly. No-one really explained why RAM is such an issue when it comes to Safari having a few tabs open, but seemingly not an issue with things you would think would need more RAM.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But yes, I still *believe* that there comes a point when the human eye can no longer distinguish individual pixels during normal use.

During normal use? Are you back in the real world now, or your world?

2K screens are probably overkill for most uses, but you can and will see the difference when playing suitable media with fine detail. So, given an iPhone is good for playing media, a higher resolution would not be a total waste of time as you're suggesting.

Indeed, as time goes on, Apple will definitely start to go down the route of using 2K and 4K resolutions. Will it be okay then?
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

2K screens are probably overkill for most uses, but you can and will see the difference when playing suitable media with fine detail. So, given an iPhone is good for playing media, a higher resolution would not be a total waste of time as you're suggesting.

Indeed, as time goes on, Apple will definitely start to go down the route of using 2K and 4K resolutions. Will it be okay then?

I am sure I heard on a podcast that the limit for the perfect human eye way about 650 ppi. Above that no difference can be discerned.

I have said it before but the real use for higher resolution screens is the rendering of Asian characters. They need the extra ppi for clarity, this is why LG and Samsung are pushing hard. Only a very parochial view of the world would deny this.
  • Sunset DaleSunset Dale Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    11 years ago I wasn't. PC all the way, after the Amiga and C64..

I love Apple products. I like the design too, but that doesn't make me automatically love iOS (but for what it's worth I have an iPod touch that topped out at iOS 6) and blindly defend what are clear limitations and disappointments.

I see. I too like Apple products, but I can see why android is so appealing after having spent almost a year using it. I can sort of see the positives and negatives in ios and android.
  • TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Personally, I think above 4K would be starting to be arbitrary but up to 4K is a viable and discernable upgrade.

Film still mainly uses, er, film if I'm not mistaken. The best quality 35mm/70mm film is very capable of recording detail that can only be accurately digitally reproduced at very high resolutions, way north of many phone screens.

If a 4K source is downscaled to a lesser resolution, it will lose quality and that will be discernable generally.

If you want to zoom high resolution content accurately, a 4K screen is also obviously an advantage. 4K sources will become more available as 4K TV takes off.

I'm visually impaired yet can see the difference between a DVD, a Blu-Ray and a 4K film - I see the world better on high def screens than I do in real life (hard to explain but very true). HD content fascinates me due to the sharpness, vivid colours and depth and I'm not convinced 4K is not viable, even on a small screen. Having an HD screen I can use "close up" gives me detail I thought I'd lost forever and the better the screens get, the better that experience is - I have seen a 4K OLED TV (stunning) but I've yet to see a 4K phone screen in person to gauge anything on that small a display - got a 1080p Nexus 5 at the moment.

A 4K OLED screen on a phone would be my nirvana - the Note 4 has a QHD Super AMOLED screen and is widely deemed the best mobile screen yet (they've sorted the colour reproduction on Super AMOLED). I miss the black blacks and viewing angles of my old Galaxy S Super AMOLED display despite the massive improvement in LCD displays of late.

But I digress - in summary, 4K is still a trick missed in a £899 smartphone.
  • GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    I use a Mac for my computer and Android for my mobile.

I honestly feel sometimes like OS X is very similar to Android, almost like Apple could have designed it in an alternative reality.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gigabit wrote: »
    I use a Mac for my computer and Android for my mobile.

I honestly feel sometimes like OS X is very similar to Android, almost like Apple could have designed it in an alternative reality.

That's one reason I switched from PC to Mac, as I thought OSX was far more open, easier to use and - well, loads better than Windows.

But iOS is a closed system that is nothing like OSX, but sadly, OSX is likely to become more like iOS. Loads of apps I download and install can't install by default, until I override the protection - which is fine, except most people won't dare do that for fear of letting all the nasties in, and I do believe that in the next couple of OS updates it may well end up where you can only get stuff though the Mac store, and Apple will take full control of Mac users too.

I can see why Apple would want to do it too, but that doesn't make me happy - although I'm now using Windows 8.1 quite a bit and am hopeful that Windows 9 could be a big step forward.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, normal use, as in a typical viewing distance of 10-12" or so.

Are you telling me you text looks at all pixellated on a. Iphone scree at a that distance?

It's not about being OK or not - but 4k or even 2k on a 4-5" screen is complete overkill.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's one reason I switched from PC to Mac, as I thought OSX was far more open, easier to use and - well, loads better than Windows.

But iOS is a closed system that is nothing like OSX, but sadly, OSX is likely to become more like iOS. Loads of apps I download and install can't install by default, until I override the protection - which is fine, except most people won't dare do that for fear of letting all the nasties in, and I do believe that in the next couple of OS updates it may well end up where you can only get stuff though the Mac store, and Apple will take full control of Mac users too.

I can see why Apple would want to do it too, but that doesn't make me happy - although I'm now using Windows 8.1 quite a bit and am hopeful that Windows 9 could be a big step forward.

So currently the App Store offers pretty much anything pretty much a tone could need or want. With some degree of reliability, and without having to hunt around for stuff elsewhere. And, if you do want to, you can still install stuff from elsewhere. So I'm not sure what the problem is.